The Robin Hobb Collection discussion

Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3)
This topic is about Assassin's Fate
Book 16 - Assassin's Fate > BOOK 16- ASSASSINS FATE (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Scarletine | 469 comments Assassins Fate will be released on 7th March 2017.

message 2: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 74 comments Saving up my nickels and dimes for this one. Can hardly wait!

Scarletine | 469 comments Parker wrote: "Saving up my nickels and dimes for this one. Can hardly wait!"

Yes, remember the storm about the price of book 2. The ebook was the same price as the physical book. I will hang on and ask for amazon gift cards for my birthday. ;-P

Andi (nautiluscapt) | 10 comments I love how this book comes out the day after my birthday. It's like a birthday present for me! :)

message 5: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited Jul 14, 2016 08:10AM) (new) - added it

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 15 comments I love the cover, just got a peek yesterday from the artist.

Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb

Scarletine | 469 comments Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "I love the cover, just got a peek yesterday from the artist.

Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb"

It kind of reminds me a bit of this cover, is it the same artist?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 7: by Alfred (last edited Jul 15, 2016 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 550 comments Sorry, only now paying more attention to this. Am I seeing this wrong?

Fool's Assassin: 688 pages
Fool's Quest: 768 pages (edit: plus extra chapter)
Assassin's Fate: 400 pages -> That's way fewer pages than previous two books!

How on earth can AF wrap up F/F trilogy in just 400 pages with all the many, many loose ends. The journey has hardly begun! This is worrying as it is uncharacteristic of Hobb to speed things up.... Or, perhaps I can be cautiously optimistic for a 4th book? *eyes light up*

message 8: by Scarletine (last edited Jul 16, 2016 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarletine | 469 comments Alfred wrote: "Sorry, only now paying more attention to this. Am I seeing this wrong?

Assassin's Fate: 400 pages -> That's way fewer..."

Alfred, you ARE seeing wrong. :-p

Amazon said it has 640 pages. And i heard that Hobb is having trouble fitting it all in one book, so maybe a book 3 part 2???? (Tad Williams did that with The DragonBone Chair)

Ash09 | 404 comments Scarletine wrote: "Tad Williams did that with The DragonBone Chair"

Hobb herself did it with Rain Wilds. I so hope we get a fourth in the series!

message 10: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited Jul 18, 2016 08:03AM) (new) - added it

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 15 comments Scarletine wrote: "Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "I love the cover, just got a peek yesterday from the artist.

Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb"

It kind of reminds me a bit of this cover, is it the same artist?
https://www..."

The artist for Assassin's Fate is Alejandro Colucci.
I couldn't figure out the artist for the other, so maybe not.

Wastrel | 270 comments Scarletine wrote: "Alfred wrote: "Sorry, only now paying more attention to this. Am I seeing this wrong?

Assassin's Fate: 400 pages -> T..."

Where did you hear it might be split?
(Not that I'm disagreeing - I've assumed it would be all along, it seemed implausible that it wouldn't be, for both internal and external reasons. I'm just curious to see what the updates are...)

Scarletine | 469 comments Wastrel wrote: "Scarletine wrote: "Alfred wrote: "Sorry, only now paying more attention to this. Am I seeing this wrong?

Assassin's F..."

Robin said on her FB page that she was having difficulty fitting everything that needed to happen into one book, so...

Emma  | 92 comments It would be great if she could just write a super long one, get it out there all in one go...for F&F, you could keep me reading forever.

message 14: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 26 comments In reference to page count, I read an interview with Robin Hobb in which she stated that she writes the entire story and then hands it to the publisher who then cuts it up into books.

I'm reading the RAINWILD CHRONICLES more in which this process is very apparent. Each book in the series have a ridiculously low page count and awkward endings.

That being said, I would buy any Robin Hobb book despite page count especially those concerning ol' Fitz. I hope this series never ends.

message 15: by Nickkon (last edited Sep 19, 2016 12:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nickkon | 9 comments https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/97800...

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 1008
On Sale: 18/05/2017

But Fitz and his followers are not the only ones with a deadly grudge against the Four

Oh god. The "About the book" passage sounds promising.

message 16: by Wastrel (last edited Sep 19, 2016 03:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wastrel | 270 comments So, they've got to get out of Kelsingra, they've got to get down the river, probably visit Bingtown, have some time on a Liveship, visit the Pirate Isles and catch us up with what's been going on there, get on a Liveship again, travel through some places we've not met before, one of which has been hyped quite a bit, get to Clerres, explore Clerres and work out what's really going on, have some evil people twirl moustaches at them for a few hundred pages, make some major sacrifices, resolve the plot, and have a great big long 'epilogue' section (if nothing else, everybody's going to end the main plot thousands of miles from home, which seems implausible as an ending to Fitz's entire 9-book story).
Oh, and did we even know that the Servants were the servants The Four? Does that mean we have to go through a whole "evil masterminds behind the evil masterminds" plot twist?
Oh, and we've also got to introduce some new protagonists, give them backstory to explain why they hate the Servants, and weave their actions into the main plotline.

In one book. Not counting the inevitable twists and digressions.

*compares this plot outline to those of every other book Hobb has written*
*compares this plot outline to those of every other trilogy and tetralogy Hobb has written*

Fool's Fate, let's remember, just had the outline "take a short boat trip with some friends to a glacier, and cut off a dragon's head. And then kill whoever's idea that was." And that book was massive!

If this is really one book, it's going to be at a pace that's nothing like anything Hobb's ever done before. It'll either be incredible... or disappointing. Sadly, I strongly suspect the latter. Please make it two books instead...

Nickkon | 9 comments I could imagine that the servants resulted in the near extinction of dragons and thus dragons/Kelsingra teaming up with Fitz and Friends. The thing missing right now is that our dragons to probably not have the memory for those events.
Concerning the Four: If I remember correctly, the Fool stated that the Four are the leaders of the Servants.

Although there are quite a few loose ends I do not imagine that everything will be wrapped up. It will probably be too much. But there might be a few decent ways to cover all the topics that are mentioned at the website: In my mind it most things can be connected if the dragons/Kelsingra become friends with Fitz making him come to contact with Vivacia/Paragon. They have to cross past the pirate islands anyway.

But as Wastrel mentioned, it can be difficult to treat every topic. We had two whole books watching people sailing up one river. But keep in mind that Fools Quest had quite a lot happening. I trust in Hobb and will probably like every book she writes. I would be suprised if it suddenly won't work.

Wastrel | 270 comments Nickkon wrote: "I could imagine that the servants resulted in the near extinction of dragons and thus dragons/Kelsingra teaming up with Fitz and Friends. The thing missing right now is that our dragons to probably..."

Well, from the point of view of what we knew going into it, here's what happened in Fool's Quest:
- at the end of Fool's Assassin, Bee was kidnapped, and in the epilogue Fitz finds out about it and is clearly going to have to follow Bee, ultimately reaching distant Clerres.
- in Fool's Quest... Fitz takes a stone pillar to Kelsingra, says hello.

That's it. All of the rest of the book is finding out things we already know, feeling sorry for himself, having a few digressions along the way, characters being given backstory, twists that we couldn't have seen coming going into the book. Author authors would have compressed the entire novel into... one, two chapters?

Don't get me wrong, I love that book. But... it doesn't bode well for her ability to wrap up the entire saga in one volume.

That being said, 1000 pages is an immense hardback, stretching what it is physically possible to make and sell. It would be about the same length as A Dance With Dragons, but the last few hundred pages of that are appendices. It's longer than A Storm of Swords. It's only 100 pages shorter than Ash! Notably, ADWD and ASOS were both split into two volumes for their paperback publication in the UK, and Ash was split into four for the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the paperback version of AF were split in two as well, making it a bit strange that they didn't just publish it as two hardcovers (and make more money in the process!) - maybe the reaction to the splits of the RWC books was negative enough that they didn't want to risk it? Though for something like this (the conclusion to a saga with devoted readers, rather than RWC where she was having to convince her readers to take on those new characters and setting), you'd have thought just breaking it in two wouldn't have been a huge issue, even if it means no real closure in the first half-volume.

For context, this is almost twice the length of Fool's Errand, and 25% longer even than Fool's Fate.

...OK, I'm beginning to convince myself that maybe she can wrap it up in one book... if she's decided to write one book that's basically two book! This one is like putting Fool's Assassin and Fool's Quest together and shaving off 200 words. ...ok maybe that's doable.

Maybe I'm just irritated that after many years I've finally gotten around to organising some of my shelves, and it looks like the gap on the end of the Giant Epic Fantasy Hardbacks shelf isn't going to be big enough...*

*just for fun, pagecounts from the GEFH shelf:

Assassin's Apprentice (Anniversary Edition): 390
Fool's Errand: 583
The Runes of the Earth: 595
Fool's Assassin: 630
Golden Fool: 632
Belgarath the Sorceror**: 661
Winter's Heart**: 668
Fool's Quest:739
A Feast for Crows: ~775 [684 story, 753 with appendices, then another 20-odd unnumbered pages of teaser for ADWD]
Fool's Fate: 805
A Dance with Dragons: 1,016 [story ends after 959]

**not physically located on the GEFH shelves, but could be.

message 19: by Alfred (last edited Sep 21, 2016 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 550 comments Wastrel wrote: "you'd have thought just breaking it in two wouldn't have been a huge issue, even if it means no real closure in the first half-volume.."

To break or not to break... You raised really good questions there. It takes a lot of stamina and serious fan-ship to read *quick peek at your page counts above* 1544 pages (FA/FQ). Judging from no. of reviews in GR, Amazon, it doesn't feel as if FA & FQ - strictly from nos. only - quite lived up to the popularity of Farseer trilogy even though they are significantly better books.

So, maybe FA & FQ didn't sell as well as hoped (no thanks, in part to the 10+ years of wait between trilogies where readership probably fell off quite impactfully). If they split AF into #3 to be released in 2017 and #4 in 2018, that means adding another year's wait before the publishers can reap in more sales... and take the risk of future sales declining further given the drop in popularity* of FA #1 and FQ #2.

I guess the solution is to get it all done with one giant and final book. (So sad, though...) And, spin off Bee's own trilogy? Perhaps to recapture the same kind of young adult-ish demographics that loved Farseer series and could potentially grow with Bee's series?

I don't know, maybe I am just trying to rationalize this to myself.

(*Assumption only. No way to validate this, obviously)

It is fun to see the page counts above; it provides quite a perspective! If you have to pick one, just one book, which would be your most-est favorite?

Wastrel | 270 comments Regarding drop-off, here are the GR review numbers:
Assassin's Apprentice: 142,000
Royal Assassin: 89,000
Assassin's Quest: 72,000
Fool's Errand: 50,000
Golden Fool: 43,000
Fool's Fate: 44,000
Fool's Assassin: 20,000
Fool's Quest: 12,000

That does look pretty dramatic! I think though that that tends to happen with most series. There are probably several reasons for that:
- AA's reviews are boosted by taster-ism - people trying one book by an author and then moving on. Hence the immediate huge fall-off
- breaking the story into trilogies - this may boost readers for Farseer ("try it, it's only 3 books!"), and for AQ in particular ("hey, only one book to go to finish the story, why not push on?"), while at the same time reducing readers for the later books. With the story ending in each trilogy, some people feel they don't want to spoil it by carrying on, while others want to carry on but don't feel any urgency because they've reached a point of relative closure.

- many people don't like the direction Hobb has gone in. You and I might like her more literary later books, but many people complained about her being slow and thinky and relationshipy even back when they were reading Farseer, and think she's just ridden off a cliff since then.

- time-gaps, as you say, can deter people

- first books in trilogies have more excitement attached, particularly after a time-gap. Not only do more people read (trying out the new trilogy and seeing if they like it), but I suspect more people review ('popular author makes much anticipated return... is it any good?' - many more clicks than 'series continues').

- but also, we can't underestimate the sheer impact of the passage of time. Those people who read Farseer didn't all do it when it came out. I certainly didn't, I read it shortly before Tawny Man came out. People who hang on the latest news from an author and pick up their new books in hardback as soon as they come out, they're a small minority. [I think of myself as a pretty big Hobb fan, but even I waited for the paperbacks of RWC (though that's also because originally Fool's Fate really irritated me]. So are people who casually pick up The Latest Thing from the new-releases shelf.
Instead, those view and review counts for books like Assassin's Apprentice have gradually built up over many years - there are still people discovering Farseer (particularly the sort of people on GR, who are more likely to go back and read something they've 'missed' than the average reader, I'd guess). It takes time for all those readers to filter through the books, particularly with the convenient trilogy gaps as resting places. Even if everybody who finished Farseer read all the way up to FQ, it would still take years for all of them to do so - I know casual George RR Martin "fans" who haven't gotten around to reading ADWD yet, and that came out 5 years ago!

So realistically, I don't expect the reviews for FQ to grow 1100% and equal those for AA... but I do expect the number to grow gradually but steadily over the years. I mean, the paperback only came out 2 months ago! The paperback of Fool's Assassin only came out a year ago! Give it time!

And commercially, there's also the other side of the equation:
Ship of Magic: 38,000
The Mad Ship: 31,000
Ship of Destiny: 31,000
[so Fool's Errand may have seen big declines from Assassin's Quest, but it also saw a big rise from Ship of Destiny]
The Dragon Keeper: 21,000
Dragon Haven: 17,000
City of Dragons: 14,000
Blood of Dragons: 13,000

Suddenly those 20,000 reviews for Fool's Assassin don't look so bad, do they? Hobb has the really common problem that most of her fans, or at least a huge section of her fans, are basically fans of her most famous work, and either aren't interested in trying the rest or 'will get around to it sometime'.
[Shaman's Crossing: 16,000; Forest Mage: 12,000; Renegade's Magic: 11,000. Suddenly even those 12,000 reviews for FQ within 2 months of the paperback being release look better]

So commercially, I guess there's a dilemma around continuing the series. On the one hand, interest is probably dwindling; on the other hand, interest is probably still higher than it would be for anything else she could be doing, short of adopting a new pseudonym. You're probably right that (I hope you're right that!) she's using Bee as a way to transition into a new run of books (which I think also makes sense narratively and artistically, btw), but I don't know if that will work. Ideally she'd be able to drag along Fitz fans while opening the work to new readers. But it'll be hard to market it for new readers with "following on from the nine Fitzchivalry novels, a new novel featuring well-established character Bee..." - and if she marketed it hard enough as new and 'you don't need to have read the others', she'd risk alienating the people who would be reading it to see what happened next (even in posthumously) in Fitz's story.

Commercially, I think probably her best bet is to alternate Bee trilogies with things like Soldier Son, totally new works ideally in a new setting with no connection to Fitz, and aim those at new readers. Soldier Son didn't work, but if she keeps trying she might hit on something that does.

But I don't think commercially there's an imperative to rush to finish Fitz's story. Chances are the next Bee story will (assuming that's even the plan!) be less of a hit than the last Fitz story - and in any case, it'll probably take a few years before she knows what story that will be.
If she's written the whole conclusion already, then publishing it in two parts a) doubles the money she (or the publishers, but somebody) gets from the final milk of the money-cow, and b) reduces the time-gap between the end of this trilogy and the beginning of the next, making it more likely that readers stick with her into whatever she does next.

message 21: by Nickkon (last edited Sep 22, 2016 04:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nickkon | 9 comments I enjoy her later works a lot more. I don't mind if the pace is slow - I enjoy character interaction and I can see the change of direction and have to agree with you. People might have started the first trilogy with the expectation of a boy being trained as an assassin who lives a life full of intrigue. The later books changed a lot since then and in my opinion got a lot more emotional. The ones expecting assassin action may lay the book down. Others interested in relationships between characters have another problem: There are 13 books before the last trilogy.

This is a huge concern: How can you recommend the Fitz and the Fool trilogy to people if they have to read 13 whole books first! It will not work. They can be the best books out there, but even people who read a lot will hesitate to read 13 books.
Similarily if you hear praise of Hobb and her books, you will start with the first one and try it. Maybe you will go on with the series or stop if you did not enjoy it. The first ones will be the ones people read the most. I can totally understand that the numbers declined.

Btw: I have not seen it here: There is a preview of Assassins Fate which covers the first chapter (or half of it?). As far as I know, it has new insights in the skill and other questions we have about the world.
I personally will not read it right now, but one should know that the possibility is there if one is interested.

Wastrel | 270 comments Yeah, I've actually had that problem - there are people I know who don't really read fantasy who I think would really like, and be impressed by, Fool's Assassin. But I can't feasibly get them to read 13 very long epic fantasy books to get them to that point. Or even just 6. On the other hand, I don't feel I can really recommend they start with FA. I know some people have liked FA without reading the other books... but jumping into the middle like that, you lose so much!
So on one level she needs to be more open to new readers. But at the same time, she doesn't want to lose existing readers (and artistically, a clean break would take away the fantastic opportunity she has for real depth and development, precisely by sticking with one story for so long). I remember, for instance, a webcartoonist who decided her story had become too daunting for new readers, and 'rebooted' so that (while the characters were the same) you wouldn't need to know all of the existing continuity... the result was that she lost a huge proportion of her readership (including me).

Incidentally, to complete the GR ratings numbers, here's the worst case scenario and why sticking to the brand is so important:
Harpy's Flight: 1,164
The Windsingers: 681
The Limbreth Gate: 434
Luck of the Wheels: 387

Getting 20,000 ratings for FA looks bad compared to 140,000 for AA... but it looks utopian compared to the 231 ratings for Alien Earth!

Thanks for mentioning the preview, btw. I'm not sure if I'll read it yet, but it's good to know about.
[*cough*. OK, I'll rephrase that: "I'm not sure how long it'll take me to admit I'm going to read it, but..."]

Wastrel | 270 comments And what's my favourite book? Er... that's a broad question! And I don't know the answer. The books I used to love, I don't love anymore, and the books I like now I haven't had the chance to grow to love yet. I guess maybe Golden Fool; though AF or FQ might grow to surpass it with future rereadings. Alternatively, maybe it's something by Pratchett - perhaps The Fifth Elephant? Traditionally I would say something by Tolkien - LotR, the Silmarillion, or, more esoterically, perhaps Unfinished Tales, but really it's so long since I read any of those that I can't in all honesty say that with certainty anymore.

I normally say the best book I've ever read (which isn't necessarily the same as most beloved, 'favourite', etc) is One Hundred Years of Solitude, which was mindblowing and a big part of why I don't love the pulp fantasy books of my youth the same way I used to. But of books I've read in adulthood, and specifically in the 6 years or so that i've been trying to review things I've read, the best book has been Priest's The Prestige, followed by Krabbé's The Rider and Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. The second and third of those are probably also future candidates for favourite book, particularly TMWWT, which is a delight to read in the instant but also clever and deep enough that it keeps nagging you afterwards. [The Prestige is colder, but is phenomenal in almost every way, from its intense suspense to its character depth to its unflashy but masterful prose, to its mindbending plot and disconcerting ideas... it's not the best at anything but it's seriously good in almost every way]

For people who would once have been favourite authors, if you're really curious, I wrote a blog post on the topic last year: over here.

message 24: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 74 comments I'm one of those who is not daunted by however many books there are in a series. And really, if you like an author, you want to read everything s/he has written. Ellis Peters wrote something like 28 books in the Cadfael series, and would have written more had she not died. (These are not fantasy, but I highly recommend them to anyone who's interested in 12th century England.)

Huge page counts don't faze me either (I read War and Peace at 13) ; if it's a good book, the more the merrier.

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 550 comments Wastrel wrote: "Suddenly those 20,000 reviews for Fool's Assassin don't look so bad, do they? "

Now that you’ve laid out the review nos. like that and cross-compared the relative successes of Hobb’s works… That makes me feel more optimistic! And you’re right, the paperbacks for FA/FQ just came out so that could spur more readership over time. I try to do my little bit of reader encouragement by sometimes clicking “Like” when I see someone on this Forum reading a Hobb book. Kind of a… Yay!-Glad-you-enjoyed-book-it-gets-even-better sort of encouragement. Now you know, folks. If you had wondered why this stranger “Liked” or commented on your read.

I agree there is no imperative to quickly finishing off Fitz, or Fool, for that matter. At least one of them will stick around to ensure a tie-in of Bee’s stories to older stories. But yeah, I am also betting on Bee being around for a while (it would be a shame to change my profile’s avatar otherwise....)

Thanks for link to former-maybe still favorite authors. I am heartened to see an honorable mention of Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance, and a side mention of Deathgate Cycle. Because, you know. Been meaning to start Small Gods, Prestige and OHYOS, and will switch over to your blog in future for sounding board.

Nikkon: Thanks for that bit of news about the preview too. Please stick around here, oh you source of goodies. *cough cough* *ahem* gee, Wastrel, your cough is contagious, because *cough* it’s breaking down my resistance too...

Parker: Re Cadfael. Ah, so a fan of history and mystery?

message 26: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 74 comments Very much, Alfred. Mostly historic mystery, although I read a modern mystery which took place at a Renfair. I enjoyed it a lot.

My historic fiction has to be accurate. I get really frustrated otherwise (same goes for historic movies.) Being a Living Historian and a history geek has it's downsides.

message 27: by Andi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andi (nautiluscapt) | 10 comments The fact that the stories are told in first person narrative, I'm willing to bet that Fitz lives... unless Robin decides to pull a oh-ho moment and do the last chapters in a third person narrative. Or, even crazier, the last couple chapters reveal that it's someone reading Fitz' first person narrative memoirs.

But most of them were destroyed, so I thought? So he had to have some time to re-write them all.

I really don't want Fitz to die. I want him to be like this recluse Obi-Wan character with the Fool as his partner. They deserve it. They've been separated for a long time.

Wastrel | 270 comments I don't think, after the big deal made of how being a recluse is cutting himself off from life, and his re-entry into society, that Hobb would let him go live in a hut again. It would be such a step back.

If Fitz dies, presumably it's done just by shifting over to Bee. What I would do is:
- have Fitz pause in Wobblebottom (or whatever it's called) to write up the last of his memoirs in case he doesn't survive - perhaps to be handed to Bee in case of his death (if they haven't reuinted yet), to explain what he's done to find her?
- switch to Bee's perspective from then on, so that we don't know whether Fitz will survive or not.

[In terms of destroying his writings: I assume that "we" read the Farseer trilogy some time before Fitz destroys the manuscript in Tawny Man]

Nickkon | 9 comments With the last chapters in the last book, I could imagine Fitz getting lost in the Skill. In the Tawny Man, the addiction to the skill was a lot more noticeable then now, but it would be fitting. Especially with his new experiences.
Switching to Bee's perspective would be a natural consequence I would appreciate.

message 30: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 74 comments I agree, Nickkon. But I still don't want to lose Fitz. He and Bee still have unfinished business, methinks. I'm hoping that they will find each other again.

Wastrel | 270 comments Scarletine wrote: "Assassins Fate will be released on 7th March 2017."

*growls*

May 4th.

Or May 9th, maybe, now.

I was just getting to the "oh, it's only couple of months now!" stage, and now it won't be only a couple of months for another couple of months...

message 32: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 74 comments Grr at the delay, but it will allow me to finish the Outlander series, plus several more books I have on my list. Plus a reread of the books so far.

Scarletine | 469 comments Damn it. BUT I would rather it was delayed and right than rushed and wrong!

message 34: by Em (new) - rated it 2 stars

Em | 62 comments Me too, as annoying as it is I want it perfect. I'm also going to book a few days off work when I get the proper date, no way am I working whilst reading the ending! Especially if it's a bad one.

Silvana (silvaubrey) glad for the delay - it is quite costly so I have more time to save up.

message 37: by Em (new) - rated it 2 stars

Em | 62 comments I saw it yesterday and for once I'm actually happy with a Jackie Morris cover. I'm assuming it's one of hers. I like the colour and the design. I almost want to zoom in and peer closer at those windows. Love the little Bee too!

Wastrel | 270 comments While it's pretty enough in its own right, it's a bit too pictorial, I think. But also, I'm not entirely comfortable with the optics of making the Ultimate Evil be Calormen... particularly in the current environment? Particularly after the "noble American colonists vs evil oriental sultanates" theme of Liveship Traders.

message 39: by Alfred (last edited Feb 17, 2017 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 550 comments It does look rather overly cheerful and bright. I don't suppose this white building is Chalcedean, which might be more Calormen-ish. Between this cover and the US cover with the dragon in the background and Fitz holding Bee's battered book, it's a slight favor towards the US cover for me... which I never thought I'd say.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Wastrel wrote: "While it's pretty enough in its own right, it's a bit too pictorial, I think. But also, I'm not entirely comfortable with the optics of making the Ultimate Evil be Calormen... particularly in the c..."

hmm I never thought about this...it got me thinking. hopefully it would not be like that.

Silvana (silvaubrey) The back cover is pretty too: https://twitter.com/JackieMorrisArt/s...

message 42: by Em (new) - rated it 2 stars

Em | 62 comments I second that. I'm a member of a FB page and have had to pull myself out of there for a bit because people are dropping little 'hints'. Someone did say there was a review of AF on GR that gives out big spoilers, so I'm avoiding those too. Hopefully you'll forget what you've read Alfred!

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 550 comments Thanks Em! But what was it that I am supposed to forget?

Nickkon | 9 comments What do you mean with reading an "ARC"?

Scarletine | 469 comments Nickkon wrote: "What do you mean with reading an "ARC"?"

An ARC is an Advance Review Copy, they are sent out to reviewers, journalists and publishing industry peeps before the release.

Scarletine | 469 comments Alfred wrote: "and being so near the bloody fucking end - I'll be fucking pissed if anyone carelessly spoils it for us who are emotionally vested in the story. "

Crumbs Alfred. Never have i read such language from you! But, i do concur.

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 550 comments Feeling sorry now for my intemperate behavior... One overly-enthusiastic spoiler remark can ruin it for everyone. Am avoiding all Hobb sites except this thread.

message 48: by Em (new) - rated it 2 stars

Em | 62 comments Alfred wrote: "Thanks Em! But what was it that I am supposed to forget?"

The impression that you can't shake off:)

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 550 comments Em wrote: "Alfred wrote: "The impression that you can't shake off:)"

Haha, you mean the impression that I had already forgotten so I don't know what you are talking about?!

(Here's a one of those rare :P to show that I was just kidding with you...)

message 50: by Andi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andi (nautiluscapt) | 10 comments I'm saying right now, I have my review typed up and ready to go when release date hits. So far, I think I know the review that is being discussed but I'm not going to link it because you have to search for it to show up.

Otherwise, yeah, I can't wait to discuss with everyone when release date hits!

« previous 1 3