Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
This topic is about The Providence of Fire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Providence of Fire

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Starting Aug 1 and finishing the 31st so that book 3 can begin for Sept.

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Is anybody else in on this? If not I might start early.

message 3: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I'm in, but it might be some time before I get the copy from the library as someone is presently borrowing it.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

OK let me know.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Also in. Even if you wanna start early.

message 6: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Yeah, we can still make a discussion for this even if we don't read the book at the same time. I would definitely love to hear your opinions on it, as I was very divided on the first one.

I will be sure to let you know when I get book, though. Right now the estimated waiting time is over a month :( but you never know if the person currently holding the copy will finish before time.

Feel free to start whenever you want and post your thoughts on it (whitout spoilers of course). I will join in as soon as I can!

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm doing this on audio and the narrator is very good FYI. When I'm finishing up New Spring the WOT prequel I'll let everybody know. WOT is done by Kate Redding and Michael Kramer who are both terrific. I've done the entire series minus the prequel so this is the end......although there are no starts or endings in the wheel of time this is an ending.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Starting during tomorrow morning's commute.

message 9: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3587 comments Mod
Awesome. I can't await to discuss this one as then you guys will be caught up to where I am. In the Book #1 thread I was having to bite my tongue as I already know the answers to some of the questions, but don't want to spoil anyone :). I thought this book was better than #1.

Solseit | 1460 comments Angela, you are keeping secrets from us! Anyhow, I cannot wait to start with the book and start answering the questions you know the answer too!!

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Prologue and chapter one

(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments It is getting harder and harder to be determined in starting only in August with this book! Luckily I just started Truthwitch, primarily because I read so many positive comments about it, and I will finish this book before starting The Providence of Fire. I am looking forward to this one!

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments SPOILER FREE. I've reached chapter 8 and so far story is slow paced but interesting. I know now who hired Pyrre and i'm really intrigued by Triste. Kenta gates concept is really cool and kinda reminds me of Stargate.

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've found this so much easier to get into the flow of book two. I'm not sure if I've adjusted to his style, the character or whatever but a much better start than book one.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Well, it does have a better flow than book one and i agree that it has a much better start as well.

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

The book definitely has a much better flow. Maybe getting into his stride with the series. Samir, I agree the Kenta gates are a cool concept.

One of the pluses of this book is well is the POV's are so much more evenly shared between the siblings. I thought it was one aspect book #1 lacked.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 7

(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Ops, I ended up starting The lies of Locke Lamora - so I will start The Providence of Fire when I finish!

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 10

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Samir (last edited Aug 01, 2016 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Through chapter 10

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Samir (last edited Aug 01, 2016 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Through chapter 12

(view spoiler)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Chapter 14

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir wrote: "Through chapter 12"

(view spoiler)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Samir wrote: "Through chapter 12"

(view spoiler)

"

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Chapter 15

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir wrote: "Through chapter 12"

(view spoiler)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Samir wrote: "Through chapter 12"

That seems logical. I think you may be onto something.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Chapter 18

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir wrote: "Chapter 18

[spoilers removed]"

LOL, that is true.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Chapter 33

I'm getting annoyed with the phrase "Kent-kissing". It sounds like something Ned Flanders from The Simpsons would say.

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir wrote: "Chapter 33

I'm getting annoyed with the phrase "Kent-kissing". It sounds like something Ned Flanders from The Simpsons would say."

You're cruising through the book. I'm somewhere in chapter 19 which isn't bad for audio for me. I really like this narrator and book two is much better than book one which my faith in the last quarter of that book has been rewarded.

Yes I've had enough of it too. Have a couple of different custom curses for the love of Intarra!

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Samir wrote: "Chapter 33

You're cruising through the book. I'm somewhere in..."

The story is very interesting so I'm eager to find out what will happen next. I think I'll finish it today :) For the love of Intarra sounds much better :) Book two is way better than the first one, it has less build up and a lot more action and character development is improved (even the side ones) and they are more intriguing. There are very good chapters ahead of you :)

message 33: by Samir (last edited Aug 04, 2016 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Chapter 45

(view spoiler)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Chapter 51

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

The characters are more intriguing Samir. I love how the characters feel more fleshed out. The "Kent-kissing" was a bit weird given how much it was used.

One of the highlights for me in this book was getting another POV character. I really enjoyed Gwenna's point of view. She is a great character.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Angela wrote: "The characters are more intriguing Samir. I love how the characters feel more fleshed out. The "Kent-kissing" was a bit weird given how much it was used.

One of the highlights for me in this book ..."

I love Gwenna! She is a badass! Her chapters were awesome!

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nice review, glad you loved it. I'm still a week out with the audio but I have to say I love the narrator and will seek him out for other books. I'd put him up there with Michael Kramer (WOT, Stormlight Archives) and Tim Gerard Reynolds (Riyeria).

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Thank you. I hope you will enjoy the rest of the book as much as I did. Looking forward reading your review.

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir wrote: "Thank you. I hope you will enjoy the rest of the book as much as I did. Looking forward reading your review."

Thanks, I'm sure I will. It's been so enjoyable while book one parts dragged.

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pondering on this.......the very unique thing about this book is I don't think the three main characters are in my top ten favorite of the series. All the supporting characters are so much more interesting. Nera, Tan, Gwenna, Annick........hell most of the villains. I'd love a chapter from one of their perspectives.

Rampuri Tan thought to himself this is the kent kissing emperor?

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments I thought the same until later on in the book Kaden did some cool stuff and became my favourite of the main three. But yeah, supporting characters are more interesting and one of them has a chapter or two from their perspective.

message 42: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir wrote: "and one of them has a chapter or two from their perspective. ."

Damn now I want to know who! LOL. Soon enough.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 25

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott you are right, the side characters are really great in this series. Just wait there is another POV shortly.

Valyn is my favourite out of the siblings, Kaden does kind of grow on you over time though. He did for me. Adare is easily my least favourite.

message 45: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hit the first non-sibling POV. Interesting chapter.

message 46: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nera is simply awesome. Chapter 32

(view spoiler)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Nera is simply awesome. Chapter 32

Nira sounds like Northmen from Abercrombie's books :)

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir wrote: "Scott wrote: "Nera is simply awesome. Chapter 32

Nira sounds like Northmen from Abercrombie's books :)

[spoilers removed]"

I think even Black Dow might think twice before getting in a curse war with her.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote:I think even Black Dow might think twice before getting i..."

Haha, curse war between those two, like a medieval rap battle :D

message 50: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Aug 11, 2016 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

So many times I was disappointed in Adare. I really want her to make better decisions.

Agree Nera is a great character. I love how straight up she appears.

« previous 1