Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Norsk Engelsk Ordbok
This topic is about Norsk Engelsk Ordbok
Book Issues > Remove ISBN, please

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Halvor (Raknes) (last edited Jul 06, 2016 02:27AM) (new) - added it

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments This ISBN belings to a different book.

Also, the cover photo doesn't belong to this book but to a different dictionary published in 2012 with ISBN 9788282112239

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments This remains undone…

message 3: by Alcare91 (new)

Alcare91 | 47 comments Hi,

According to the world cat database this ISBN is correct.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/norsk-...

I you see at the bottom of the page the ISBN is the same as listed in GR.

As for the cover, is it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Norsk-engelsk-...

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44982 comments Mod
Halvor wrote: "This remains undone…"

Because we almost never remove ISBNs. Unfortunately, publishers do sometimes reuse them, frustrating though that is.

message 5: by Alcare91 (new)

Alcare91 | 47 comments That is true. If I had found evidence that the ISBN was wrong, (people can make mistakes when adding the books) I would have changed it to the correct one. But every database I checked has this ISBN for this book. I'm sorry.

message 6: by Halvor (Raknes) (last edited Jul 14, 2016 09:58AM) (new) - added it

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments Here's the ISBN response from the coordinated Norwegian public libraries which combines searches in the three otherwise unconnected systems belonging to the municipal libraries and that of the universities and government libraries (including the National Library). This search is operated by the National Library.

As for the photo, that could be one of the very many editions of this, the most common Norwegian English dictionary.

Anyway, I suggest this edition simply be merged with the other edition which has a full set of data attached to it.

message 7: by Alcare91 (new)

Alcare91 | 47 comments Could you please add the link of the two editions to be merged? Thank you

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44982 comments Mod
This one is a valid edition and should not be merged.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments That is simply not correct, Rivka. I have just provided incontrovertible proof that the ISBN is wrong. Also, the book cover is clearly wrong. It even has a different author. Then what's left?

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments I ask again, are you refusing to go with the data I have presented?

In any case, does anyone know how to request a change made to a WorldCat entry?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5739 comments Halvor wrote: "I ask again, are you refusing to go with the data I have presented?

In any case, does anyone know how to request a change made to a WorldCat entry?"

Maybe you have to become a member of World Cat to do that.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments Yes, I've registered there, but still I see no interface or information about how to submit a request to correct this error.

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14556 comments Halvor wrote: "I ask again, are you refusing to go with the data I have presented?"

rivka is staff and doesn't usually work weekends.

I think we have been through this before. Covers and ISBNs are very difficult to change on GR, and I personally don't see what the "incontrovertible proof" is.

message 14: by Halvor (Raknes) (last edited Jul 18, 2016 11:29AM) (new) - added it

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments What incontrovertible means? How about, this is a Norwegian dictionary (which I happen to own, btw) which would make the Norwegian library system the natural authority. The list I have proved a link to -

http://www.nb.no/bibsok/order.jsf?id=...

- yields responses from all of Norway's 600+ public libraries and government institution libraries. When entering the ISBN into the composite search engine all twelve results show one book, a different one from WorldSearch and GR. And, if one follows the links and tries to order a copy, these 12 hits expand to 194 copies of the book in close to that many libraries.

The fact that the cover photo belongs to a different - third - book adds to the impression that this was a sloppy add, but the proof is in the 194 copies in Nowegian libraries of Riksmålsordboken.

And, can someone remove the cover image? I have documented above that it belongs to neither the book GR wants it to be or the book I claim it to be.

message 15: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 26 comments Halvor wrote: "Yes, I've registered there, but still I see no interface or information about how to submit a request to correct this error."

Actually, the members of Worldcat are the libraries whose records are included there, not members of the public who are registered on the website. The best way to get the change you want would probably be to talk to a cataloger at a library in Norway who could find out who in Norway has the authority to change that record.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7005 comments The ISBN in post #1 is not associated with any book on GR. What exactly is it that you want?

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments Re post #16

I want the cover photo removed from the ISBN 8257300047 since the cover belongs to a different book. I will gladly create an entry for the book now not at GR at a later time.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7005 comments Halvor wrote: "Re post #16

I want the cover photo removed from the ISBN 8257300047 since the cover belongs to a different book. I will gladly create an entry for the book now not at GR at a later time."

Is the book you want added on GR? Can you provide a link? We can cross-reference another book that is using this same ISBN so that an ISBN search can find it.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5739 comments Halvor wrote: "Yes, I've registered there, but still I see no interface or information about how to submit a request to correct this error."

Sorry my idea wasn't helpful, Halvor.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4770 comments @Carol - I'm getting there, I'm getting the help required. IT just takes some extra work :-)

@Elizabeth - I'll do some work and get back to you when I've prepared the information.