Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1)
This topic is about The Crown Conspiracy
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Crown Conspiracy

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments hello, I created this thread to post my thoughts about this book as I read it. Feel free to join in if you want to. Please mark all spoilers as this is my first time reading any of the series.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ok so the first thing that struck me was in the first chapter. Talking about rumors that some thieves where able to infiltrate the Crown Tower some time ago. Forshadowing from the start? As the first book in the chronicles seems to be about this very incident. Very cool:)

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Jarek wrote: "Ok so the first thing that struck me was in the first chapter. Talking about rumors that some thieves where able to infiltrate the Crown Tower some time ago. Forshadowing from the start? As the fir..."

Yes, the first book of the prequel series is about the Crown Tower they mention in The Crown Conspiracy!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments So far this book seems to be your regular fantasy stuff (view spoiler) But for some reason it doesnt bother me at all. Maybe its the way he writes.Maybe its the characters. In just a couple of pages Sullivan made me a huge fan of Royce and Hadrian.This is a real page turner for me:)

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "So far this book seems to be your regular fantasy stuff [spoilers removed] But for some reason it doesnt bother me at all. Maybe its the way he writes.Maybe its the characters. In just a couple of ..."

I think even though it is a storyline that has been done before, he just does it so well. He often says he writes for the fun of it and you can see that when you read. I think it's both in the writing and the characters (well, you couldn't have such great characters without great writing). Royce and Hadrian are one of my favourite fantasy duos and I haven't even read the whole series yet. When you get to Rise of Empire, I will try to join you in your reading.

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
One of the things Sullivan gets away with is being "just regular" fantasy because the story line is just great, the characters real and the sense of humor is awesome. Royce and Hadrian jump out in that first chapter because they're so irreverent and funny.

I'm listening to the Tower Lord on audio and Jenna I know you love the first two books. They're exceptionally well written. Great story. Well developed characters. Yet I keep thinking why do I only like these books and not love them? I don't think I've laughed once the entire book and a half (and they're long). I want to write Mr Ryan a letter and tell him he needs to infuse what Abercrombie and Sullivan do so well. They infuse comedy into situations that aren't funny. Honestly I do it in every day life all the time. Shit hits the fan at work and I'll say something off the cuff to make everybody relax. I think the thing about GrimDark especially is you can be too grim and not enough dark.

Sorry for the ramble.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Regular. The word I was looking for Scott:) its very regular and at the same time it feels kinda fresh, more down to earth. I dont know if iam making any sense;)

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments He writes awesome characters that feel larger than life, larger than their settings and the trappings of their genre and that's how he makes his "regular" story into something truly memorable. That's my humble opinion anyway.

Awesome books by the way, I hope you have as much fun reading them as I had! Its been a while since I've read them but I'm totally open to talk about them!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Just finished chapter 3. That monk is very peculiar...i wonder what's the story there. I have to say that the way Sullivan describes things is limited. I mean that in a good way. It takes him very little words to describe things that some authors take paragraphs or pages to do. It works great here because it doesn't slow down the pace of the story. Ian wondering whether or not the kings daughter is playing them....it could go either way at this point

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Just finished chapter 3. That monk is very peculiar...i wonder what's the story there. I have to say that the way Sullivan describes things is limited. I mean that in a good way. It takes him very ..."

I had no idea of who was the "bad guy" because it kept going back and forth. Spoiler for beginning - Jarek, you should be okay (view spoiler)

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "One of the things Sullivan gets away with is being "just regular" fantasy because the story line is just great, the characters real and the sense of humor is awesome. Royce and Hadrian jump out in ..."

Yeah, there are not so many laughing moments, I will give you that. I still love Blood Song though. :)

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Jarek, don't read our spoilers until you are done The Crown Conspiracy.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ok thanks for the tip:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments ok so we get some nice backstory and plot hints from the monk. We have the nationalists who (view spoiler) and we have the church. So iam thinking (view spoiler) uuuf....dont know if iam going the correct way but it feels like this at the moment. By the way the little backstory about the beginnings of the empire was really really interesting.

message 16: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "ok so we get some nice backstory and plot hints from the monk. We have the nationalists who [spoilers removed] and we have the church."

You're already pretty far in!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments So Jenna am I barking at theright tree at least or totally off?:)

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "So Jenna am I barking at theright tree at least or totally off?:)"

I won't spoil it for you - you'll just have to keep reading. :)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Damn it!:)

Ive just found out about the monks....situation. I cant really imagine how he must feel (view spoiler) I think thats pretty sad

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments The Genesis story given by Myron was awesome. I mean,Nothing that much original but its just the way sullivan writes it, the words he uses. It just makes the "regular" as Scott put it, turn into extraordinary. I can see why so many people prasie these books and Iam only on the first:) Very interesting take on religion. Iam just so captivated by this its amazing. Reading this book just takes me away to that world in whole:)

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Damn it!:)

Ive just found out about the monks....situation. I cant really imagine how he must feel [spoilers removed] I think thats pretty sad"

It is pretty sad. It just goes to show that while knowledge is very helpful, it just can't compare with real-life experience.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Just finished chapter 3. Cant wait to see what awaits our little motley crue inside the prison:D

message 23: by Dan (last edited Jul 07, 2016 09:10AM) (new)

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments I'm really glad you're having a great experience! He's such a wonderful writer as you can see, he really know how to use words to turn the ordinary into something magical.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ok so we got a different perspective on things from the wizard. Not sure I trust him though. The guards did say not to do anything he asks....so very very interesting:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Started chapter 6. Ok at this point I really have no idea who killed the king although some things point stronger to arista. Especially when we find out what she keeps in her chest in her tower room. Then there's the dwarf thing. Aah the plot thickens. I like both our main heroes but if I had to pick now id pick Royce as the favorite. There's something more bad ass about him:D

message 26: by Dan (new)

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Reading your comments about it really make me wish I was reading it for the first time again! Such a fantastic read. Royce is such a bad-ass indeed, I love the little guy.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Dan did you read all the riyria books?

message 28: by Dan (new)

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments I've read the original trilogy, as in, the first 6 books which were made into 3 books and those 3 are the ones I read - Theft of Swords, Rise of Empire, Heir of Novron.

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I would love to see some of my favorite authors team up for a series. Can you imagine Sullivan writing Hardrian and Mark Lawrence writing Royce? The contrast would be pretty epic.

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "I would love to see some of my favorite authors team up for a series. Can you imagine Sullivan writing Hardrian and Mark Lawrence writing Royce? The contrast would be pretty epic."

I love Royce and I'm already imagining great things from this imaginary collaboration.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I'd throw Abercrombie in there as well

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Finished chapter 6. I have to say that Myron has become a favourite of mine. (view spoiler) I

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

An Ambercrombie and say Sanderson would make for some pretty evil epics! I'm picturing Glotka meets Steelheart, LMAO.

I love Myron. I want to say more but I don't want to spoil stuff so I'll wait.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Logan nine fingers...nuff said:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ok so I finished the first book. Pretty much at light speed. I cant begin to describe how awesome this book was. The world. The history of that world. Simply great. The characters. Fell in love with our duo from the start. Myron. One of the best supporting characters ever. Fast paced action. Great simple descriptions that don't slow down the pace. Awesome humor. Exchanges between hadrian and royce are priceless. I recommend this to everyone who likes a fast paced character driven epic fantasy. Gotta go start the next one:) don't know how far ill get since its almost 10 pm where I live but I just have to start...:)

message 36: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Ok so I finished the first book. Pretty much at light speed. I cant begin to describe how awesome this book was. The world. The history of that world. Simply great. The characters. Fell in love wit..."

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

message 37: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4253 comments Jarek wrote: "So far this book seems to be your regular fantasy stuff [spoilers removed] But for some reason it doesnt bother me at all. Maybe its the way he writes.Maybe its the characters. In just a couple of ..."

It's a combination of both I think, the way he writes and the characters.

message 38: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4253 comments Jenna wrote: "Jarek wrote: "So far this book seems to be your regular fantasy stuff [spoilers removed] But for some reason it doesnt bother me at all. Maybe its the way he writes.Maybe its the characters. In jus..."

Yep I totally agree with everything you said!

message 39: by Seán (new) - added it

Seán | 602 comments I just happen to have finished this and stumbled in here :)

I'll concur with what's been said here so far: Sullivan isn't doing anything new, but what he is doing is presenting likeable characters in a fast-paced plot. The world is interesting enough, and has some unique little touches (I really loved the prison chapter).

Sullivan does keep his descriptions to a minimum focusing on dialogue, which definitely helps keep the pace up. The fact that his characters are quite likeable helps with this, as I'm always happy to hear what each one has to say.

Overall, I was very impressed with this. I count this as a book I wouldn't normally have picked up for being too generic, but based on recommendations and reviews from this site, I decided to give it a go. I've jumped straight into the next book, so I'm hoping the quality keeps up with that!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Hey Sean glad you enjoyed it:) The books are getting better and more. Complex from book to book. We have a thread here for avempartha and currently reading the third one. Feel free to comment. Would love to hear your thoughts on the other books.we will be doing all the revelations books and probably the chronicles as well

message 41: by Seán (new) - added it

Seán | 602 comments Yep, I'll be hopping in on that thread alright! I just started Avempartha, and will pick up the rest of the series before heading on holiday this Saturday. So I'm sure I'll get through them pretty quickly at that rate :)

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Sean wrote: "Yep, I'll be hopping in on that thread alright! I just started Avempartha, and will pick up the rest of the series before heading on holiday this Saturday. So I'm sure I'll get through them pretty ..."

Nice! Looking forward to having more people to read along with!