Genre Specific Review Groups discussion

Genre Review Groups > Historical/Alternate History Fiction Review Group 1 (completed)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by R. (last edited Jul 13, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

R. Leib | 765 comments Mod
In joining this review group you have agreed to review the novels assigned to you on a two month schedule. This group is now in the review phase and is no longer open for sign up.

This is Historical/Alternate Fiction Review Group 1, which will include all works of fiction relating to actual or alternate history. As with other review groups, you will be expected to read and give an honest review of the books assigned to you. Assignments will be made after the group sign-up has filled.

Participants are expected to post reviews to Goodreads. If the review is positive (three stars or higher on Amazon), the review should be posted to Amazon (US and UK) as well, if the book is available there. This makes having accounts with both Goodreads and Amazon.com a requirement.

If a reviewer and the author agree that the review should not be posted to Goodreads due to quality issues, the reviewer is relieved of the requirement of posting the review. If this occurs in the first round, the second reviewer is relieved of the requirement to read and review the book. This is entirely at the discretion of the reviewer and is not intended in any way to manipulate the rating of any book.

Contact the authors you are scheduled to review to arrange to receive a review copy of their work.

Please post to this topic, both when you receive review copies and when you post the reviews.

If you are going to be late with your review, either post to this topic as soon as possible or message the author and the moderator.

If your book has not been reviewed by the deadline for either round, contact the review group moderator. This is necessary to make certain that the review process is fair for everyone.

Note that any participant who makes no effort to fulfill his or her commitment to this group will have all reviews of his or her work resulting from this group deleted and his or her membership in the Genre Specific Review Group will be terminated.

THE AUTHORS AND BOOKS ARE:

1 Phyllis Goodwin - Cry for me Argentina: Inspired by a true story Cry for me Argentina Inspired by a true story by Phyllis Goodwin

2 Christy Nicholas - Legacy of Truth Legacy of Truth by Christy Nicholas

3 Stephanie R. Sorensen - Toru: Wayfarer Returns Toru Wayfarer Returns by Stephanie R. Sorensen

4 Robby Charters - The Wrong Time The Wrong Time by Robby Charters

5 Sanna Hines - Shining Ones: Legacy of the Sidhe Shining Ones Legacy of the Sidhe by Sanna Hines

6 Heera Datta - Catherine Dickens: Outside the Magic Circle Catherine Dickens Outside the Magic Circle by Heera Datta

THE ORDER OF REVIEW IS AS FOLLOWS:

July 15 to August 15

Phyllis Goodwin reviews Heera Datta
Christy Nicholas reviews Robby Charters
Stephanie R. Sorensen reviews Phyllis Goodwin
Robby Charters reviews Stephanie R. Sorensen
Sanna Hines reviews Christy Nicholas
Heera Datta reviews Sanna Hines

August 15 to September 15

Phyllis Goodwin reviews Christy Nicholas
Christy Nicholas reviews Heera Datta
Stephanie R. Sorensen reviews Sanna Hines
Robby Charters reviews Phyllis Goodwin
Sanna Hines reviews Robby Charters
Heera Datta reviews Stephanie R. Sorensen

message 2: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Goodwin (goodreadscommaydenephyllis) | 45 comments Cry for me Argentina
Author: Phyllis Goodwin
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Legacy of Truth
Author: Christy Nicholas

Thanks!

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Jul 06, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 41 comments Toru Wayfarer Returns by Stephanie R. Sorensen Toru: Wayfarer Returns
Stephanie R. Sorensen

Note to moderators: I have reviewed both of Christy Nicholas's novels, so we cannot review each other.

message 5: by Sanna (new)

Sanna Hines | 173 comments I'd like to add Shining Ones: Legacy of the Sidhe. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Note to moderators - I've reviewed Shining Ones: Legacy of the Sidhe already.

message 7: by Robby (new)

Robby Charters (robbycharters) | 203 comments R.

I've got a collection of short stories, novelettes and a novella. The novella has a lot to do with alternative history, but more from the angle of parallel universes. One of the short stories is directly about parallel universes, but not a lot to do with history. Some of the short stories are about time travel, or aspects of time; in one of which features the story of someone in mideaval England who goes into the future.

I don't know if the "historical" emphesis is strong enough...? Let me know what you think first, then maybe I'll submit it.

message 8: by R. (new)

Robby wrote: "R.

I've got a collection of short stories, novelettes and a novella. The novella has a lot to do with alternative history, but more from the angle of parallel universes. One of the short stories i..."

Robby:

The novella sounds like it might qualify. I think it is less important how the history becomes alternate than how it relates to the actual history it modifies. Ultimately, the decision is up to the author whether his or her work fits the genre.

What do the authors signed up for this group have to say on this subject?

R.

message 9: by Robby (new)

Robby Charters (robbycharters) | 203 comments ...or you could wait and see how quickly you fill the slots with sure histories

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 41 comments I'm fine with a parallel universe novella. "Ultimately, the decision is up to the author whether his or her work fits the genre."

message 11: by Robby (last edited Jul 07, 2016 05:57AM) (new)

Robby Charters (robbycharters) | 203 comments So far, the feedback to my question is positive, and the group is filling up slowly enough. I'll go ahead and submit it. I'm still open to withdrawing my book if anyone feels it's not focused enough on the theme of the review group. Here it is:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

It's a collection that grew from the novella featured in the title. I would like it if the review could reflect the whole collection, not just the one novella. The first short story in the collection is partly set in Mideaval England, partly in the future where a filmmaker is creating the story. Another is about parallel universes with no references to national or world history. One of the pieces of flash fiction (fiction of 1000 words or less) could be classed as an alternative history of Little Red Riding Hood! A few of them are nothing to do with history, alternative or otherwise, and one would probably not be even classified as science fiction.

In the actual novella, The Wrong Time, the main character encounters people from a number of alternative histories, and we only find out at the end that he, himself, is the product of an alternative history.

It's a shame that I can't include the story I'm writing right now, as that would have been the best fit.

message 12: by Christy (last edited Jul 07, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Sure, I'm up for the collection !

message 13: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 48 comments I would love to join in with Catherine Dickens: Outside the Magic Circle.

message 14: by R. (new)

Authors:

We now have six. Sign up is over. I will publish the review schedule in the next few days. I already have noted a couple of conflicts. Let me know if there are any more conflicts as soon as possible.

R.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 41 comments Yay for swooping moderators!!!

message 16: by Sanna (new)

Sanna Hines | 173 comments Looks like a fascinating group of reads.

message 17: by R. (new)

Authors:

The review schedule has been published in the initial post of this topic. Please make arrangements with the author you are reviewing to obtain a review copy of his or her work.

R.

message 18: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Goodwin (goodreadscommaydenephyllis) | 45 comments I am reviewing Heera Datta's book Catherine Dickens: Outside the Magic Circle. As it is under £3 to buy, I have downloaded it directly from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it!

message 19: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Goodwin (goodreadscommaydenephyllis) | 45 comments I hope Heera Datta receives my message. I could not find anywhere to leave her a message on her Profile page!

message 20: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments I've gotten Robby's book, thanks!

message 21: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments I couldn't message her, either, Phyllis. I'm doing the same - purchasing means it's a verified purchase, and much less likely to be nixed by Amazon!

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 41 comments Sanna, your book is inexpensive, so I am now a proud owner!

message 23: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Goodwin (goodreadscommaydenephyllis) | 45 comments I have had a request for a Mobi copy of my novel. My book is in PDF format and even though it is available on Kindle, I am not sure how I go about changing from PDF to Mobi? Can someone help me with this in nursery school language please?

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 41 comments Hi Phyllis,

I'm fine with a PDF, sent to the email I messaged you.

Mobi file means Kindle format--one way to get a Mobi file is to save your proof copy from Kindle, as long as they didn't mangle it in their food processor of a conversion.

Another way is to put your PDF through the Calibre (free) software. It mangles some things, but simple books usually make it through fine. There are other more difficult and more expensive options, but try those two first.

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 41 comments Heera Datta,

You have very private settings, so we cannot message you! Would you please message me, so I can send you my email address?

Thanks so much!

Stephanie

message 26: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 48 comments Phyllis wrote: "I hope Heera Datta receives my message. I could not find anywhere to leave her a message on her Profile page!"

Stephanie wrote: "Heera Datta,

You have very private settings, so we cannot message you! Would you please message me, so I can send you my email address?

Thanks so much!

Stephanie"

Sorry I hadn't logged into goodreads the last few days and wasn't following the discussion either. There is no profile for Heera Datta because that is a pen name. In fact, I'd signed into the group with my GR profile as Gita V. Reddy. Sorry for the confusion and Phyllis, thanks for buying the book.

message 27: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 48 comments Phyllis wrote: "I have had a request for a Mobi copy of my novel. My book is in PDF format and even though it is available on Kindle, I am not sure how I go about changing from PDF to Mobi? Can someone help me wit..."

Phyllis, instead of converting from PDF, go to your KDP account and download a preview copy. You can use it as a review copy.

message 28: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 48 comments Christy wrote: "I couldn't message her, either, Phyllis. I'm doing the same - purchasing means it's a verified purchase, and much less likely to be nixed by Amazon!"

Christy, Heera Datta is my pen name, which I'd used for this book. Please pm your email id, and I'll mail you a copy. Thanks.

message 29: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 48 comments Phyllis wrote: "I hope Heera Datta receives my message. I could not find anywhere to leave her a message on her Profile page!"

Received by Gita V. Reddy a.k.a. Heera Datta :) Sorry for the bother. Should have mentioned Heera Datta was a pen name, and saved a lot of people so much trouble.
Thanks for downloading the book.

message 30: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Aha, that explains all :) No worries, I just bought one on Amazon. It helps you and it shows as a verified purchase, less likely to be yanked by Amazon.

message 31: by Sanna (new)

Sanna Hines | 173 comments Stephanie wrote: "Sanna, your book is inexpensive, so I am now a proud owner!"
Thank you, Stephanie. Enjoy!

message 32: by Sanna (new)

Sanna Hines | 173 comments Christy, I bought a copy of your book, so no need to send me one.

message 33: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Aw, thanks!

message 34: by Robby (new)

Robby Charters (robbycharters) | 203 comments I've received my copy of Stephnie's Toru. Thank you.

message 35: by J. (new)

J. Gleason (joegleason) | 1 comments If there's still room, I'm in. Anvil of God, Book One of the Carolingian Chronicles by J. Boyce Gleason

message 36: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Goodwin (goodreadscommaydenephyllis) | 45 comments I have posted my review of Heera Datta's novel Catherine Dickens: Outside the Magic Circle on Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I shall be doing the same on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk
Also I have sent a Mobi copy of my book to Robby Charters and hopefully he has received it.

message 37: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Goodwin (goodreadscommaydenephyllis) | 45 comments The next book I have to read is Legacy of Truth by Christy Nicholas.
Just to let you know Christy that I have bought your book from Amazon and it should be on my Kindle ready to read. Best wishes.

message 38: by Robby (new)

Robby Charters (robbycharters) | 203 comments I've received my copy of Phyllis Godwin's Cry for Me Argentina. Thank you.

message 39: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Thanks, Phyllis!

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 41 comments Hi Robby,

Thank you for the thoughtful review! :-)

Stephanie

message 43: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Goodwin (goodreadscommaydenephyllis) | 45 comments Thank you Stephanie for your honest review. I shall endeavour to take your suggestions on board. My new novel has shorter chapters and I'm trying to curtail my descriptions and the number of minor characters. Best wishes.

message 44: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments I posted my review for Robby Charters' book (sorry for the last minute! I almost forgot to post it!)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I've sent my Amazon review, but it hasn't posted yet.

message 45: by Robby (new)

Robby Charters (robbycharters) | 203 comments Thank you, Christy.

message 47: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Thank you so much, Sanna!

I posted reviews for my review for Heera Datta's book on Catherine Dickens, as well.

As always, Amazon is slower to post :)

message 48: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 48 comments Phyllis wrote: "I have posted my review of Heera Datta's novel Catherine Dickens: Outside the Magic Circle on Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I sh..."

Thanks, Phyllis.

message 49: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 104 comments Heera, I've posted my review of Catherine Dickens as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Dick...

message 50: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 48 comments Christy wrote: "Heera, I've posted my review of Catherine Dickens as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Dick...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Thank you, Christy! If possible, please post it on amazon.uk and amazon.india also.

« previous 1