Divine Divas Reading Group discussion

July Book

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (ladyofhonor) | 224 comments Mod
I am so sorry for my absence I have had some personal health issues lately but I believe the worst is over and the best is yet to come. Would you like to read the book we were supposed to or pick a new book?

message 2: by QUEENIE (new)

QUEENIE (msqueenieclem) | 15 comments Hey what about That Church Life by Teresa Howell?

message 3: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck First off I am glad that your personal health issues are better I will lift you up in prayer. I read forty acres and enjoyed it. Right now I am reading several books at once. I am fine with whatever book you all decide on.

message 4: by Micqualani (new)

Micqualani Turner | 15 comments good one queenie but that not ku do you have it to loan

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Okay Queenie! We got a book to read for this month!!

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Thanks Bernie! I am excited to be back and I am here to stay :)

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

I got you Mickey

message 8: by Micqualani (new)

Micqualani Turner | 15 comments yayyyyy

message 9: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck If anyone else has a book to loan, I would appreciate it.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Bernie message me your email address

message 11: by Micqualani (new)

Micqualani Turner | 15 comments Does anyone have this book

message 12: by QUEENIE (new)

QUEENIE (msqueenieclem) | 15 comments So do we have a book to read for the month or we just read whatever?

message 13: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck It looks like we are reading the book you suggested.
"That Church Life"

message 14: by QUEENIE (new)

QUEENIE (msqueenieclem) | 15 comments SO WE ARE GOING TO READ THAT CHURCH LIFE? I AM NOW READING THAT NEW MICHELLE LINDO RICE BOOK BUT I CAN START THAT CHURCH LIFE ALSO. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO? WHO IS READING THAT CHURCH LIFE?

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Yes we are reading that church life. We will be reading 7 chapters week. I am going to be posting discussion questions.

message 16: by QUEENIE (new)

QUEENIE (msqueenieclem) | 15 comments Welll ok. I will start today. So by Friday we should be through chapter 7? What is the deadline or a date to be finish with chapters 1 to 7?

message 17: by Tiffany (new)

By friday that is when I will post the questions to chapter 1-7

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

What did you think about the first chapter????

Also what do you think of the intro to the book? Did you like it, love it or hate it?

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

What do you think about Missy and Tommy's relationship?

What are your feelings on Pastor Jones, Michelle and Natalia?

message 20: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck When I read the intro to the book and read the first chapter I did not think I would like the book at all. I was so glad to see she was just having one of those moments. Witnessing someone you know and love so well get shot can get you a little crazy.

message 21: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck Any relationship experiencing abuse needs to be severed if both parties are not acknowledging and actively working on fixing the problem.

Pastor Jones is a man that has no problems with being deceptive and for me that's a big concern. He encouraged his daughter not to acknowledge she was present when the murder was committed although she did nothing wrong. He also did not tell his grown daughter about her real mother.

Michelle is the friend that will stick with Missy no matter what, without judgment.

Natalia is the judgmental friend that only knows bits and pieces of the ugly things in Missy's life.

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Bernie I really like what you are saying. If I had to go by the first part of the book I would have shut it because it just seemed like garbled words. I was so glad when she decided to go to Michelle's and things started coming together.

I hate to say it but Tommy getting shot didn't seem like much of a surprise with the kind of life they said he was leading.

Pastor Jones I am still trying to figure him out I understand doing what's best for your child but he is too deceptive like you said.

Michelle is a pretty great friend and I believe Natalia is a good friend but she more like a momma and she tries to make what she says go.

message 23: by Tiffany (new)

So is every past chapter 7 or 14?

Do we know what book we want to read next month?

message 24: by QUEENIE (new)

QUEENIE (msqueenieclem) | 15 comments What chapter are you on now? I can find another book for next month if you want me to,

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

We are supposed to be on chapter 14 but I'm a little further than that I guess I can post the questions early

message 26: by Tiffany (new)

What do you think about Missy and Beanie?

Do you think Pastor Jones didn't tell Missy about her mom for her good or his?

message 27: by QUEENIE (new)

QUEENIE (msqueenieclem) | 15 comments What did you think about the first chapter????

Reading the first chapter it was a lot going on. I was trying to figure who was who and what was really going on. I thought Missy had killed someone. t could have been more detailed I guess. I am getting through now.

Also what do you think of the intro to the book? Did you like it, love it or hate it?
I like it but was very difficult in the beginning trying to find out what was really going on.

What do you think about Missy and Tommy's relationship?

I think Tommy is beating on Missy and taking advantage of her. I think Missy is naïve and Tommy is running game. He is cheating and a womanizer. I don't think Missy should continue to be with a man like Tommy.

What are your feelings on Pastor Jones, Michelle and Natalia?

Pastor Jones is acting like a man of God but isn't living Christ like. He wants to sweep certain stuff under the rug and not tend to it. He wants to give the perception of everything is good and it is not.

Michelle is a very good friend to Missy and her family. She is a good Christian woman that wants Missy to be happy.

Natalia is a woman that will not stand around and take no mess from no one. She will tell you like it is even if it hurts your feelings. She is just a real friend that just keeps it real as they say.

message 28: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck The way Beanie portrays himself seems perfect for Missy; too perfect ! As the relationship progresses, I do not think that will continue to be the case. I guess we will see after reading past chapter 14.

I have no idea why Pastor Jones didn't tell Missy about her mom. Whether he thought it was for her good or not is kinda a mute point because Missy is an adult. As an adult she has every right to know the good, the bad and the ugly in her own life.

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

I might yet again post questions early lol

How about for august we read Every eye closed ain't sleep by Marita Teague

message 30: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck I find having the questions early to be helpful. I prefer that instead of going back through the chapters to find the answers.

Every closed eye ain't sleep is a great book choice. It was already on my list of books to read.

message 31: by Tiffany (new)

Okay :)

How do you feel about Olivia? Has it changed since she came onto the scene in the beginning of the book?

How do you feel about Tommy and Beanie now that everything has happened?

Do you feel Michelle is wrong?

How do you see Missy in this whole situation? Is she a strong woman, a coward, too passive??

message 32: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck I felt sympathy for Olivia when she first told her story. By the end of the book she shows her true self and there is no more feeling bad for her. She is satan's child.

When Beanie asked Missy and her friends if they wanted to hide Tommy's body, you could tell there was some shadiness in his past. Currently he seems to be in the good guy category.

There was nothing good about Tommy.

Michelle was taken advantage of in a cruel, sick way and although her final action was justifiable, it was definitely wrong.

The person I question is the Pastor. How sick is it that he had knowledge of a member breaking the law and doing irreparable harm to another member. Not only does he not turn him In to the authorities, but he continues to employ him in the church, while he dates his daughter. Sick, sick, sick.

I see Missy as a woman making mistakes and learning from them. She was too passive with Tommy early on and then she finally woke up and stood up for herself.