Sara K's Best Muh Ukin Book Club EVER discussion

soooo whos excited???

Comments Showing 1-50 of 790 (790 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
i am :)

message 2: by Serafina (new)

Serafina (pastacarbonara) | 8 comments same!!! just so y'all know, you can get it for free just google the name + pdf if you can't get it in your local library / bookstore w/e

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am! Going to order "a million little pieces" now from amazon - fingers crossed it comes for the 10th!

message 4: by Maryland (new)

Maryland (marylaandd) Yay you actually did it Sara! Just a question, are we going to be reading just a million little pieces or the other two books you mentioned at the video too?

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
We will only be reading a million little pieces this round to see how that goes!! The other books were pretty long and I don't want the first books we do to be too over whelming so I'm just going to give everyone some time to get their hands on a million little pieces! Then we will start it ASAP!

message 6: by Somaya (new)

Somaya (smooy4) | 4 comments I bought this book 2 years ago and never have a chance to read it, Sooo excited to read this book with you all

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
My moms had this book for forever on the book shelf... I am so happy to read it knowing she did too

message 8: by jodie (new)

jodie  (nxahczerny) so nice that you're sharing a lil part of your life with us in a physical book!! so strange but i looked on my dad's bookshelf and realised he had this book the same day i watched your video...message from the universe perhaps?

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Just ordered the book, so excited!!! I just graduated from high school and I've been missing my english class discussions, so I'm happy I found a group of people who love reading as much as I do :)

message 10: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 4 comments just went to the bookstore earlier today to get this book.. so excited!

message 11: by Lexy (new)

Lexy (bookybee) | 60 comments Somehow my non-reader boyfriend had a copy of this lying around. I got lucky!!

message 12: by Magda (new)

Magda (majdabd7) | 4 comments I aaaaaaaaaaaaam, aghhh ! I m currently reading" a million little pieces" ... no worry im zipping it :D

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
BETTER GET THAT BOOK TODAY WE ARE STARTING TOMORROW

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
Has everyone had the chance to get their hands on the book?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, eeeek! :-)

message 16: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Henriquez (openbookk) | 99 comments On my way to the book store y'all.

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
Okayyyy soooo I've seen most have already started reading. I haven't. I was waiting for people to tell me they were ready so we could all start together and read it together buttt that didn't go as planned haha so I'm thinking I'll have this one just be a discussion about the book when people are done since some are half way done with the book and other are only a couple chapters so yeah!!! Let me know

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ohhhh, I get you! oops, i'm sorry I didn't realise! Yeah, that's good!!! I know for next time and perhaps we can all read our next book together - I still have 300 pages left so I will take my time

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
I would like to have a discussion tonight on the first thoughts of the book so can everyone let me know what page they are on so I know what chapters are okay to talk about today!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Okay I was waiting too, but I'll definitely start now! Next time we could probably like break it up into chapters or something so we stay on the same page :)

message 21: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Henriquez (openbookk) | 99 comments I'm so sorry, hmm I think we should discuss maybe the first three chapters ?

message 22: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Henriquez (openbookk) | 99 comments Okay so lol I just realized on my page 20, sorry you guys I have work and school ! We should take a vote on how many chapters a week we should all read together !

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Honestly I'm good with however Sara wants to break it up/ structure the discussions!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about half way through, I'm good with however Sara wants to do it

message 25: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Henriquez (openbookk) | 99 comments Same here, I was just throwing some suggestions out there, that's all :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked your idea, I'm glad you suggested it! That way, we can all read along together :)

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Yeah definitely a good idea Magdalena!

message 28: by Sai (new)

Sai | 33 comments Just received the book, let's do it ya'll <3

message 29: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Henriquez (openbookk) | 99 comments So obviously one doesn't have to be half way through the book to wonder how and what happened to James Frey. This poor man, "why would he do this to himself ? " was my thought after reading the first five chapters. This is crazy...

message 30: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:02PM) (new)

Jennifer It is so crazy to see how deep he is into his addiction. I'm only 50 pages in, but I hope we get some insight into his background that reveals maybe what had made him turn to drugs. I think its really interesting how he writes about how many of the fellow addicts he meets give reasons for their addictions very openly, yet he has not given so much information. He does mention how his parents are nice and normal, but I feel like there must be more to his story...

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about half way done, I won't say anything other than I had no idea what such a serious and dangerous addiction could do to a person. I think James is very honest throughout the book and portrays what seems to be a realistic account of addiction though I can't help but think "how could he let it get his far, how could he do this to himself"

message 32: by Magda (new)

Magda (majdabd7) | 4 comments there's a "she" mentioned through the story, but I don't think she's the reason of the addiction, because duuh he's into all that since an early age, i think she's the reason he checked in. I wonder if im right or just supposing that everything is related to love hahahaha

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
I think it's so crazy reading this.... After my accident I became addicted to the medication and pain killers I was on. Withdrawals would be so horrid my dad would have to take me to the ER. Drugs aren't something to take lightly. Im just glad there are people out there brave enough to share their stories in this much detail so people know how out of hand it can get

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree with you Sara! I feel genuinely sad to hear that, I hope you're okay now! Always know you are a very strong individual and reading about James' account of addiction truly draws light on how it can take over a persons life so quickly and it is such a vicious cycle - It is not something 'you can just snap out of' it's much more than that and James is so honest and truthful throughout the book, it's shocking and eye opening

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
Very very much so, please keep all what we talk about between the group there's things I would like to make videos about on YouTube. Like me being on meds and things like that so know what's said here stays here

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course, yeah I get you, I understand, I think that's so important for the group. I think it's amazing how people have the courage to publish their struggles and times like this throughout their life with millions, if not more people. Every day life is not something that comes easy to all of us and I think it's incredible how those who have experienced this have the courage to speak up and make people aware of this fact

message 37: by Somaya (new)

Somaya (smooy4) | 4 comments Althought it has a lot of swearing and I know that Jamse lied about this book being his memoirs "half-fiction" I LOVE IT, easy read book & I loooove the way the book is written in. I'm now on page 127/546. It touched me when he talked about Michelle also my eyes filled with tears when Jamse & Roy were at the Group toilets I put myself in his place. One more thing gusy I want to know what adition are you reading in ??

message 38: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Henriquez (openbookk) | 99 comments Okay I'm glad to hear that everything we talk about stay between us.
I've been wanting to share that, this book is a little difficult for me to read because I have a family member who was an addict. So reading this, makes me imagine this person going through it all.
And Sara, I'm glad to hear you're okay and that you'll be sharing your story. I think that's important and amazing.
I've suffered an accident too, and I remember I was on some very heavy drugs. Eventually I began to deny them because of the possibility of addiction that can come from them. I guess since my family and I witnessed how it can be at first hand, we thought it was best.
And yes ! The "She" I want to know who's this "she".

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

It takes a lot to be that honest and I'm proud of you and admire and respect you Magdalena - I'm also glad what we say here stays here
I've known someone who was a heavy addict and it is hard reading because you do imagine them going through it and you feel helpless, you can see what they're doing to themselves
I know who "she" is although my lips are sealed! I hope Sara and you guys are enjoying it so far, I can't wait to know what you all think !!

message 40: by Lexy (last edited Jul 12, 2016 03:14PM) (new)

Lexy (bookybee) | 60 comments I think this book is really eye-opening so far. I work at a chemical dependency center for intensive outpatients, so I get to interact with people who all have these crazy stories and have struggled but push to get better; they never cease to amaze me.

Magdalena, I know how you feel as well I have many family members and friends who struggle with addiction and it is a very unfortunate thing to watch someone go through and reading this book is a first-person glance into that dark world.

I'm not very far into the book yet, I hope to read more of it tonight!

message 41: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Henriquez (openbookk) | 99 comments Hey everyone :) hope everyone is doing good !
And thank you Collette for your kid words. Btw I live your name !
It feels good to know that y'all understand the struggle of having loved ones who are addicts. It also feels good to talk about it cause I never really do.
Lexy! Your job must be very interesting. And don't worry girl, I'm not too far into the book either. Work and school takes its toll in my reading time. I'm gonna try to catch up :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey :) I'm not too bad thank you, I hope you are all good
Aw that's okay Magdalena, no worries! That made me giggle because I was on your page and I was going to tell you that I adore you name - thank you very much, likewise! Such a pretty and unique name!

Me too, I'm glad we can speak about it openly and honestly and feel comfort in each other's words

Hello Lexy! Your job sounds fascinating I think what you do is great - I'm intrigued
That's okay guys, I think it's important that everyone reads at their own pace, right? I can't wait till we can discuss it !!
Bedtime for me! It's so late where I am, hope you're all having a good day/night whatever it is, wherever you are

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily | 30 comments Hello everyone I am going to start tonight and put a big dent in it to catch up. Glad to be here :-)

message 44: by Sai (last edited Jul 13, 2016 04:55AM) (new)

Sai | 33 comments lol its starting to get late where I am, but I thought I'd give a quick update on my thoughts so far before going back to reading of course lmao :")) well first off, my attention was immediately captured when I turned to the first page, and that's pretty rare for me. i think it was really how the author portrayed the dialogue in a different way, without using quotation marks. by excluding the quotation marks, I feel like we have to use a our 'inner self' and actually picture these different characters quite vividly to understand and really feel the connection that they have.
This is so different to what I've read, and I'm glad that I'm reading it. As an outsider, this is a whole new world for me, but I know that this is a world that people actually live in and I need to stop being ignorant. I'm not that far into the book, but already I feel so much for the characters in this book, especially James. its so so descriptive and I can almost really feel what he's going through as he describes the details of the things that he feels, pain, anger and so on. I agree that its definitely a brave thing for someone and you all to open up about these sorts of things and sharing the story behind it and everyone who does deserves all the respect.
btw this book club thing is such a good idea, i love reading everyone's comments and seeing how everyone interacts with each other over a book. not because of an instagram photo or snapchat, a damn book!! ahaha damn we need more of this in the world i swear.

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
i completely agree with Sai on multiple levels... one with the way this book is written and put together, i love that there are no quotation marks and that the writing just falls down the page. my goal is to give you guys a book that intrigues you just as much every time!!!
im glad you mentioned upon the fact that we are talking about books and not some stupid picture on the internet. idk about you guys but i feel like a damn champ every time i finish a book and it makes me proud as hell to know i finished something and know what its about in detail so we can have talks about it.... i love the way this is written

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 13, 2016 07:22AM) (new)

I noticed that while reading, I really loved that aspect of the book, it gave a more relaxed and informal feel to the book as rules of punctuation weren't followed - maybe this is also showing James' rebellious nature idk. I feel the way the book is written is so natural and is almost poetic, the words flow so well
I HAVE JUST FINISHED THE BOOK. My lips are completely sealed till you guys have all finished reading, I promise! BUT OH MY GOD. I don't even know how to feel right now. I can't say I loved it, i can't say I hated it - I think I loved it but I feel the book was so intense and I experienced so many emotions but one thing I will say is that I felt such a connection to the characters in the book, I felt as though they were real and the book felt much more than words written on a page.
I love how the book was written and I love how James lets the reader know the stories and backgrounds of all the other characters in the book and keeps us updated, feels like you're actually there.
I don't know I felt so incredibly proud of James by the end of the book
I love this book club thing, Sara this is such a freaking good idea
I get you, I feel so proud and accomplished and I feel so much more knowledgable, that book opened my eyes so much and allowed me to feel empathy for those struggling with addictions of any sort. I now understand how much of a battle it is and can now understand the life of those I have and still know who fight the temptation that controls them
Hope you're all good :)

message 47: by Sara (new)

Sara K | 98 comments Mod
Collette, your comment just made me so happy!!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Awwwww that makes me so happy Sara omg - that made me smile so much aha
I hope you're all enjoying the book and hope yall having a good day or night whatever it is, wherever you are

message 49: by Maitha (new)

Maitha (maitha-reads) | 19 comments I just got the book YaYYY!! I stopped reading the book i was reading until i finish this one!!! Gonna post updates about my thoughts of the book xoxo

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily | 30 comments I'm on page 120 currently. Sara I agree with your comment about the lack of quotation marks it feels very personal and you can really absorb his personality. I'm not sure if it's just the online edition but I like how some pages are set up. There was one page that only said "I am gone". It's like how poets stagger their stanzas so some messages in the poem are stronger than others. I thought it was super interesting how James is this tough guy persona and has the attitude of "I don't need any help I handle myself" but when people help him with anything; even Hank loaning him his jacket he is more than grateful. He knows that nobody has to do anything for him but is very careful with thank-yous. I'm not sure how far you guys are and this might be answered lager on but what do you guys think about the note he put on the Oxford shirt and in hanks jacket? They weren't brought up?? I did some research about this book and apparently he was kicked off of Oprah's book club because a lot of the stuff he said happened lacked evidence which put the establishment under fire. To me it doesn't really matter if the story is 100% true. (The details under fire were mostly minor ones in my opinion) but it sounds to me that it's based on a true story. True or not I think it's a very credible source on addiction and rehab. What do you guys think about Michelle? There was a line that said "I feel human" and that really resonated with me. That someone had fucked themselves up so much that they feel Inhuman. This was really scattered. I just really love books and analyzing. I'm liking this so far, great pick!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16