Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Red Rabbit (Jack Ryan, #2)
This topic is about Red Rabbit
Book Issues > Please update details

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeff | 959 comments Please update the following details for this edition, ASIN B0000DYXQU:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Title: Red Rabbit (Jack Ryan, #2; Jack Ryan Universe, #3)
ASIN: B0000DYXQU
Publisher: Books on Tape
Pub Date: September 25, 2003
Edition: Unabridged
Num pages: 26

Thank you.

message 2: by Codex (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Thank you. I'm wondering... Is there a reason not to include multiple series info? And why not update the existing edition rather than create a new one? Also, the page count is missing.

Thanks.

message 4: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3400 comments The series information is reflected on the book page, below “Edition Language”. Missing page count has been added.

The “existing edition” (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...) is a distinct work (WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/title/red-rab...), thus requiring creation of the new edition (with ASIN).

Jeff | 959 comments I didn't think there was enough information in that edition (on Goodreads) to identify it as the one you provided the WorldCat link to. The format says Audible Audio, whereas the link you provided says Audiobook on CD. Also, the ISBN from the WorldCat link is in another edition on Goodreads with format Audio CD:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

So I think that other Audible Audio edition should be merged with either the Audible Audio one you just created, or with the Audio CD one. Based on the format, which was the only distinguishing information I could see, I thought it was intended to be the Audible edition but didn't contain most of the details.

I understand where to see the series information on the book page, but I also see series info with the edition titles as well (mainly in shelf views), which varies from edition to edition especially for books with multiple series. For future reference, what series info should be in the edition titles?

Thanks.

message 6: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Yes, all Audible editions should have an ASIN, it would have been easier to simply update the existing one, since it has an identical cover and other matching info to the edition on Audible for the ASIN you gave. They should probably be merged.

What series info is in the title is optional. The main rule is, if another librarian has added it, don't remove it (that includes if a librarian has added more than one series to the title, although reformatting it for consistency is generally ok, as long as it doesn't create an edit war: Although most librarians seem to prefer (Series 1 #1; series 2 #1) so the whole thing is replaced on the book page view, some librarians prefer (Series 1 #1) (Series 2 #2). Some librarians object to putting more than one series (or even one) in the title at all, but as long as they don't remove it when someone else has done it, it's generally left alone.

message 7: by Jeff (last edited Jul 06, 2016 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff | 959 comments Ok, thanks. I certainly understand about not removing series info (assuming it is correct). Personally, I would rather see no series info in the titles at all than a bunch of different formats. Meaning if I have an author shelf that is primarily books that each belong to multiple crossover series, I usually see some with Series 1 #[x], some with Series 2 #[y], some with Series 1, #[x]; Series 2, #[y], etc. in the titles.

Jeff | 959 comments Just following up on the possible merge of the two editions with format Audible Audio.

Jeff | 959 comments Just checking in on this one. Still not merged.

message 10: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments We tend to let whoever made the mistake fix it. But since that didn't happen, it's taken care of.

message 11: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff | 959 comments Great, thank you!