The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > July/August 2016 group read nominations: As seen on TV

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 05, 2016 06:28AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9224 comments Mod
Please read carefully:

This time around I'm giving you a chance to nominate a mystery/crime/thriller novel that has been dramatized as a TV series. I'm posting a link below to IMDB, where someone has been nice enough to offer a minimum of 50 tv programs based on books; I'm sure with a little digging you can find more. If you're unsure as to whether or not your choice has ever shown up as a tv series, post it anyway and I'll research it for you. The possibilities are numerous!

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls050959758/

This time around, authors we've read as a group before are okay to nominate, but please make sure we haven't read the particular book.

NOW -- for the boilerplate:

1. Once again, one of last month's popular nominations got outvoted for a book that generated very little discussion. Added to that is the fact that the person who nominated the novel did not even show up for the discussion. So I have to reiterate that if your nomination wins the poll vote, you will become the de facto discussion leader. Do NOT nominate a book if you do not wish to do this.

2. When a book gets to the poll, please please please -- if you don't really want to read it, don't vote for it.

3. This is not the place for authors to promote their own work.

4. If the book is in a series, it might be wise to start with book #1 rather than somewhere mid-series.

Other than that, it will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13745 comments I nominate Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter, the basis for at least 3 series, Endeavor and 2 versions of Inspector Morse.

message 3: by Summer (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:14PM) (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 48 comments This one's a bit backwards (the TV show came first, then the book), but I'd like to nominate Luther: The Calling.

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mooney (colleenmooney) | 1 comments I'd like to nominate The Killing by David Hewson (which is a novelization of the original Danish crime drama by Sud/Soren Sveistrup. This might be the reverse of what you are looking for.
Colleen

message 5: by Jené (new)

Jené Brown | 46 comments I nominate Faceless Killers... mostly because I have a soft spot for Scandinavian crime novels :)

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jené wrote: "I nominate Faceless Killers... mostly because I have a soft spot for Scandinavian crime novels :)"

Actually, the group has read Faceless Killers, but if you'd like to choose another book by Henning Mankell, that would be just fine.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Colleen wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Killing by David Hewson (which is a novelization of the original Danish crime drama by Sud/Soren Sveistrup. This might be the reverse of what you are looking for.
Colleen"

Order doesn't really matter to me -- as long as it's in book form, that's fine.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike Is there a master list of the books that have been read previously?

message 9: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

the group's bookshelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 10: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (pinkbear) | 14 comments Miss Marple by Agatha Christie!
One of my reading goals is to read all of the Miss Marple books ;p

message 11: by Jené (new)

Jené Brown | 46 comments OK, I will nominate One Step Behind instead of Faceless Killers. It is also a Henning Mankell book, and looks like it has good ratings!

message 12: by M. (last edited Jul 05, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments As a long time Craig Johnson fan (of the award winning Walt Longmire A&E and then Netfllix fame), I nominate his first book, Cold Dish. The series is great, but nothing beats the real books that are far more entertaining and in depth.
The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1) by Craig Johnson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

So if you are interested in voting my selection, you'll be welcomed to the Red Pony Bar and Soiree, located in Absaroka County (no it doesn't exist) Wyoming. In addition, it is Walt Longmire Days in Buffalo, WY - so if you're in the area, stop in and enjoy it! (Robert Taylor, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Katie Sackoff are known to attend.) A Ranier Beer are not obligatory...

message 13: by Keith (new)

Keith | 1 comments Rebus

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike I was looking to see if Longmire was on the reading list; it's not so I'll second M.'s nomination of The Cold Dish. The books are great and the series is as well (although quite distinct).

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Celeste wrote: "Miss Marple by Agatha Christie!
One of my reading goals is to read all of the Miss Marple books ;p"

You might want to be more specific - look through the books we've read and pick a Marple novel that's not on there.

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Keith wrote: "Rebus"

Same thing -- there are tons of Rebus novels -- a specific title is needed. Thanks.

message 17: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 3067 comments Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, a Hercule Poirot mystery.

To my mind, the best of the Poirot Mysteries. Also done on TV as part of the Poirot Mysteries on PBS with David Suchet as Poirot.

message 18: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 985 comments I know you don't need seconds but I strongly support Carol's nomination of Last Bus to Woodstock. I have for a long time wanted to read the first Inspector Morse book.
Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1) by Colin Dexter

message 19: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Ron wrote: "Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, a Hercule Poirot mystery.

To my mind, the best of the Poirot Mysteries...."

Sorry, Ron -- it's on the we've already read it list.

message 20: by Bill (new)

Bill I'll nominate Ratking (Aurelio Zen, #1) by Michael Dibdin Ratking by Michael Dibdin, the first book in the Inspector Zen series, which starred Rufus Sewell as Inspector Zen, a police detective in Italy.

message 21: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 58 comments I nominate The Killings at Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby #1) by Caroline Graham The Killings at Badger's Drift from the Chief Inspector Barnaby series by Caroline Graham, which was adapted into the Midsomer Murders tv series.

message 22: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments Wow! So many good things nominated already. I will add Raven Black the first book in the Shetland Island Thriller series, which is called Shetland on television.

message 23: by Kat (new)

Kat G (tina27) | 2 comments Veronica Mars : Thousand Dollar Tan Line - by Rob Thomas this was a tv series then they add a film and then this book then a second book. Great :)!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood. I absolutely LOVE the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries series.

message 25: by Nell (new)

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13745 comments Nell wrote: "I nominate Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

Case Histories (Jackson Brodie, #1) by Kate Atkinson"

It's a fantastic book - that's certain.

message 27: by Glenn G (new)

Glenn G (glenngarv) | 7 comments The IMDB list omits the awesome 87th precinct series from Ed McBain. It was a short lived TV series in the 60s, plus a few TV movies in the late 90s.

Nero Wolfe is another that should be mentioned. Radio series and TV.

message 28: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Glenn wrote: "The IMDB list omits the awesome 87th precinct series from Ed McBain. It was a short lived TV series in the 60s, plus a few TV movies in the late 90s.

Nero Wolfe is another that should be mentioned..."

Yep - the IMDB list was just a starter suggestion. There are tons more out there.

message 29: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

So many excellent suggestions here!!

message 30: by Glenn G (new)

Glenn G (glenngarv) | 7 comments I'll nominate Rex Stout's Fer De Lance, the first in the Nero Wolfe canon, since it was suggested that we start at the beginning of series when appropriate.

message 31: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (pinkbear) | 14 comments Celeste wrote: "Miss Marple by Agatha Christie!
One of my reading goals is to read all of the Miss Marple books ;p"

I nominate Nemesis by Agatha Christie

message 32: by Ann (last edited Jul 06, 2016 12:44AM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 127 comments Esse said "This ones a bit backwards (the TV show came first, then the book), but I'd like to nominate Luther: The Calling. "

ohhh yes, great nomination, Esse - I've wanted to read this for a while

message 33: by Anne (new)

Anne Trager (anne_trager) | 7 comments For something a little bit different, and not so well known, there's Treachery in Bordeaux, the first Winemaker Detective mystery, basis of the French TV series The Blood of the Vine (available with English subtitles).

message 35: by Neal (new)

Neal Wilson | 9 comments How about Raylan by Elmore Leonard.

message 36: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Anne wrote: "For something a little bit different, and not so well known, there's Treachery in Bordeaux, the first Winemaker Detective mystery, basis of the French TV series The Blood of the Vine (available wit..."

Treachery in Bordeaux, by Jean-Pierre Alaux.

message 37: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jacqueline13) I would like to nominate The Killing Game by Iris Johansen. It was a tv movie. I hope that counts. If not then I would like to nominate The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Thanks :)

message 38: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 9 comments I'll nominate Death Without Company by Craig Johnson (Longmire)

message 39: by Terri (new)

Terri I am not nominating anything but I love the books suggested and just wanted to tell everyone!

message 40: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Margaret wrote: "I'll nominate Death Without Company by Craig Johnson (Longmire)"

Actually, we already have one Longmire nomination so do you want to pick another book?

message 41: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jacqueline wrote: "I would like to nominate The Killing Game by Iris Johansen. It was a tv movie. I hope that counts. If not then I would like to nominate The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Thanks :)"

The Killing Game is fine. It at least made it to TV.

message 42: by Mariah (new)

Mariah Kingdom (mariah_kingdom) I'd like to nominate "Flowers for the Judge", by Marjory Allingham

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill So many excellent nominations..

message 44: by Deepa (new)

Deepa Manju (deepsy1) | 2 comments Dexter and Rizzoli & Isles

message 45: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Flowers for the Judge

Mariah wrote: "I'd like to nominate "Flowers for the Judge", by Marjory Allingham"

message 46: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Deepa wrote: "Dexter and Rizzoli & Isles"

Just one, please, and pick a specific title.

message 47: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I think I can take two more nominations and we'll call it a day. I love that you're so enthusiastic with this category!

That reminds me - if you can think of a category of types of mystery/crime/thriller books for group reads, please pm me with ideas. I'd love to hear them.

message 48: by Deepa (new)

Deepa Manju (deepsy1) | 2 comments Nancy wrote: "Deepa wrote: "Dexter and Rizzoli & Isles"

Just one, please, and pick a specific title."

Ok then Dexter

message 49: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Deepa wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Deepa wrote: "Dexter and Rizzoli & Isles"

Just one, please, and pick a specific title."

Ok then Dexter"

As inDarkly Dreaming Dexter?

message 50: by Beth (new)

Beth | 2 comments Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries.

« previous 1