The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

Garnetville: A Gay Novel
This topic is about Garnetville
Mystery/Whodunnit Discussions > Garnetville: A Gay Novel by E.M. Mispiel

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aussie54 | 322 comments I found this book on Smashwords, which is having a July summer/winter sale from the 1st of July until the 31st. The two books by E.M. Mispiel about Dave and Quinn have a 75% discount if you're interested in buying them.

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/vi...

Blurb: Dave wants to know why his mentor, a gay teacher, was murdered. Quinn just wants to make sure he doesn't die in the process. Dave's obsessive search for justice stirs up trouble and drives more than one man over the edge.

E.M. Mispiel's style of writing is unusual. It took a while to get used to it, but it really pulled me in. The story’s written in a non-linear way, chopping and changing without notice, so it’s confusing at first, making the reader concentrate. It has a fascinating plot; I was never sure who the murderer was. The denouement was a bit of a letdown, but the story then took off, hurtling along at a frantic pace.

I found it hard to get to know Dave and Quinn. Dave comes across as an unlikeable character a good deal of the time, but he grew on me until I felt more comfortable with his personality. I was happy at the end of the book, having come to understand the dynamics between the two of them. I'm looking forward to reading the next book: "The Closed Mouth: A Quinn And Dave Gay Mystery".

message 2: by Jax (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jax | 984 comments I didn't have the patience to look thru Smashwords for something I might want so thanks for the heads up on these. They look interesting enough to try - especially at that discounted price.

Aussie54 | 322 comments Yes, the sale price attracted me. Not much to lose if I didn't like the books. I did download the free sample first, though, which is always helpful.

I hope you like this first story. The writing style's quite unlike any I've read before.