The GoodBook Club discussion

Announcements > July Book Club Pick - The Hatching

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Penguin Random House Canada (penguinrandomhousecanada) | 94 comments Mod
An astonishingly inventive and terrifying debut horror novel about the emergence of an ancient race of carnivorous spiders, dormant for ten thousand years but now very much awake. This is the perfect summer read - action-packed, and a ton of fun.

The Hatching is The GoodBook Club's July pick! Enter the giveaway to win a copy and join our discussion. Participants are rewarded with a surprise ARC or finished copy of one of our favourite books!

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

Add the book to your TBR shelf and make sure to keep an eye out for it at your local bookstore or library. Our discussion dates will be announced soon. We've got a great participation prize for all those who chime in on the chat. Enjoy the book!

Cheers,
Evan

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments Oooo sounds scary! Spiders, aaacckkk!

I hate spiders too! But it's more of an adventure story, I swear :)

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita | 25 comments I'm already spooked..

message 5: by Tyler Leigh (new)

Tyler Leigh | 18 comments I feel like I got arachnophobia just reading the description.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 10 comments I think I'll be skipping this month lol ;P

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermmoore) oooh this looks good! I'm in.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (suekitty13) | 46 comments Eeeeeeeek spiders! This should be a good one!

message 9: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments Can't wait to read it

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (weepinganqels) | 19 comments Sounds interesting, I hope there's a decent amount of science behind the story, without info-dumping =)

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (123veronica) | 6 comments If it is at all science-y then I am in!

message 12: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 47 comments This sounds perfectly creepy, I am intrigued. Our library doesn't have it yet, will cross my fingers or grab a copy so that I can join in the discussion.

Ryley (Ryley Reads) (ryley_reads) | 12 comments I was sent an ARC a couple months ago, but just got around to reading it last week. I really enjoyed it! This book was crazy, it kept me on edge the whole time, and, as someone who is the resident "spider killer," I'm a little more weary of those little eight-legged creatures.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Trillium (Just Reading in the Rain)☂ (trillium25) | 18 comments Right on, perfect story for late night reading at the cottage... where there are lots of spiders... ^_^

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments I've always liked spiders. As children we were taught they were good because they ate flies. My husband had a *pet* Tarantula for many years (a rescue) and it was actually very interesting!

message 16: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 38 comments Ohh I have this book already I will start reading it soon :)

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (phayom) | 1 comments I hate spiders so this book sounded horrifying. It was definitely a page turner! I love that this was selected as book of the month!

message 18: by Zoë (new)

Zoë Danielle | 9 comments I have an unread ARC so this is perfect timing! Can't wait to dig in :)

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise Berube | 3 comments Crossing my fingers for this one, haven't read a good horror in a long time.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather Earl | 1 comments im so excited i won so i for sure am able to read this and that the giveaway brought me to this gem of a reading group. now to just wait for the mail!

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather | 47 comments Hoping I get it off hold at the library before long so I can join in again this month, I missed participating last month!

message 22: by Pat (new)

Pat Winter | 10 comments Gosh, I just can't do spiders. I was bitten by a brown recluse a couple of years ago and, while sorry to miss out on the free copy of a book I still need a fly swatter or two, on ever floor of my house. A book by Alexi Zentner on the other hand, would definitely be a safe read.

message 23: by Chandni (new)

Chandni (chandnin31) | 33 comments I'm not a huge fan of spiders either. A couple of years ago, a spider bit me and I developed a staph infection. I was on antibiotics for a week. I'm also just generally terrified of insects.

However, I'm about halfway through this book (thanks Penguin for the netgalley copy!) and it's way more about the people than the actual spiders. Yes, there are some graphic scenes relating to the spiders, but halfway in, it's not very scary.

It's sort of like one of those movies where aliens or zombies or something attack and we jump between different groups of people to see how they're going to solve the problem. I'm really enjoying the style in which it's written. It's VERY movie-like.

Just an fyi for those of you on the fence.

message 24: by Pat (new)

Pat Winter | 10 comments Chandni wrote: "I'm not a huge fan of spiders either. A couple of years ago, a spider bit me and I developed a staph infection. I was on antibiotics for a week. I'm also just generally terrified of insects.

Howev..."

Thanks girl, I just might go for it after all! :-)

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments I didn't win a copy and none of the libraries in my city seem to have it so I might have to skip this book and discussion.

message 26: by Pat (new)

Pat Winter | 10 comments Sandra wrote: "I didn't win a copy and none of the libraries in my city seem to have it so I might have to skip this book and discussion."

I didn't win a copy either but I checked both amazon.ca and amazon.com. Hatching is available on kindle as well as book. Right now both avenues are a little too costly for me so I'll have to pass this read after all. :-(

message 27: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 47 comments Feeling lucky to have won a copy via the Goodreads Giveaway, a big thanks to Penguin Random House Canada! Looking forward to the discussion.

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments I've been lucky enough to win a copy. Much appreciated! I've started a library copy but it is one of those set as a 'quick read' so borrrowing time is limited...

message 29: by Chantale (new)

Chantale Canadian Book Addict (canadianbookaddict) I won a copy and I received it today. Thank you Penguin Random House Canada.

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather | 47 comments Decided I didn't want to miss out & bought a copy through iBooks ($9.99) after seeing the hard copy at Chapters for $29.99! Looking forward to the discussion!

message 31: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tineig) | 13 comments Just picked this up from my library. So far it's a good read. I'm interested to see where this story is heading.

message 32: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments I agree I'm few chapters in and it's a really good read

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments I really hope my library gets this book, you guys are making it sound good. I also read an excerpt that was quite intriguing.

message 34: by Pat (new)

Pat Winter | 10 comments It's definitely becoming more and more of a 'must' read , simply because so many are so very interested in the book.

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments So far I'm finding it's holding my interest. I hope this keeps up!

message 36: by Chantale (new)

Chantale Canadian Book Addict (canadianbookaddict) I am about 5 chapters in and so far I like it.

Hi everyone!

So glad everyone is into The Hatching so far!! Our discussion will be running from July 20 - July 31. Hope to see you all there!

Evan

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 25 comments I won a copy and recieved on Friday. Thanks so much to Penguin Random House. I'm about 100 pages in. Its definiatley not what i expected but such a fast read!

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 11 comments Wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this book, but OMG I can not put it down!! Excellent pick Penguin Random House!

message 40: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments I agree with both Jennifer and Ashley about this book

message 41: by Calypsa (new)

Calypsa Going to buy it today. Will finish it for the discussion, for sure. Seems intriguing seeing how everybody seems to like it so far.