Two Cities, One Book discussion

July Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ciara (new)

Ciara Farrell | 4 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Just setting up a discussion to find out what everyone is reading this month!

Ciara

message 2: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 6 comments Hi Ciara, I,m reading like a maniac at present- all my library reservations are coming in at the same time! Next up I have a choice between Jo Baker's A Country road a tree and Lisa McInerney's Glorious Heresies. Knowing me I'll probably hare off and start something different. Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is reading

message 3: by Ciara (new)

Hi Mary Lou. It's great to hear from you.

I'm reading Nomad by James Swallow at the moment as I read it was similar to I Am Pilgrim. It's an action packed thriller and perfect as a summer read.

message 4: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 6 comments yes. I saw you were. I thought I Pilgrim was a little long, Good in parts. Look forward to your review

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Stanley | 2 comments Hi, I'm reading Number 11 by Jonathan Coe..so far I'm enjoying it..I loved a previous book of his (What A Carve Up,) so have high hopes for this one. Then I have A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara to read after..didn't get to it on my holiday. I'll have to check out Nomad as not heard about it so thanks !

message 6: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 6 comments Hi Jenny, good to talk to you. I haven't come across any Jonathan Coe- must have a look. I am looking forward to all your reviews. I read A Little Life some time back, and found it - I think I said- fully engrossing but very disturbing indeed.

message 7: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 6 comments Hi Ciara. Will you be reading Gods and Angels in your group before your visit? Ormeau meets this evening- Ist Thursdays- we could probably slot it in for our September read if Kathryn thinks it's a good idea. Not everyone gets enthralled with short stories, though there are a lot of collections about at the moment

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Stanley | 2 comments hi Mary Lou...great to talk with you too! Yes I've heard Mixed reviews of A Little Life...just have to get round to reading it... I have so many books in my pile to read. Too many books, not enough time...I'm sure you can relate to this "problem"! At least summer provides opportunity to sit outdoors and read..my idea of a great afternoon ( provided he sun comes out). It will be good to meet up in October when we come up..I was away for the Howth Festival meet up unfortunate but will definitely come up to Belfast.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 1 comments Mary Lou wrote: "Hi Ciara. Will you be reading Gods and Angels in your group before your visit? Ormeau meets this evening- Ist Thursdays- we could probably slot it in for our September read if Kathryn thinks it's a..."

Hi Mary Lou and all

I think the hope is that all the bookgroups will get copies of 'Gods and Angels' before the October visit and we will discuss the book together that morning in Belfast Central Library before David Park's talk. So we'll probably read something else for September to keep the 'Gods and Angels 'discussion fresh. I can double check with Sharon if that's the plan.

message 10: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 6 comments Kathryn that sounds spot on. I look forward to it

message 11: by Nic (new)

Nic | 1 comments Hi everyone.
I'm from Lisburn Road Reading Circle. At the moment I am finishing 'A Court of mist and Fury' by Sarah J Maas. This author is so talented (if you like fantasy novels) and will be appearing in Dublin in October for a YA convention.

message 12: by Ciara (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Mary Lou wrote: "Hi Ciara. Will you be reading Gods and Angels in your group before your visit? Ormeau meets this evening- Ist Thursdays- we could probably slot it in for our September read if Kath..."

Hi All,

We have lovely new copies of 'Gods and Angels' here and I was thinking of making it our September read in Howth Library but I'll probably start it this weekend myself.

message 13: by Ciara (last edited Sep 07, 2016 10:40AM) (new)

I forgot to share a piece I wrote on the Fingal Libraries blog about the Howth Literary Festival if anyone would like to have to look.

http://www.fingal.ie/blog/?p=1654

message 14: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 6 comments Hi Ciara,
I've just read your great blog. Very interesting. I had no idea the Howth festival was so young. We have a great day to live up to in a few weeks time !

message 15: by Tuesday (new)

Tuesday Book Club | 1 comments Thanks Mary Lou,

It is a very new addition to the festival calendar and I hope it will continue. It is getting close to our trip to Belfast now. We have one more book club meeting here before we go up where we will be discussing the Children Act by Ian McEwan. We will try to get some reviews up after that.