Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Habitica: Gamify your life

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Recently, I found a super fun app called Habitica. It lets you treat life as if it were an RPG by rewarding you for completing tasks and improving habits. I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me in it? We could form a Goodreads group. It'd be a lot of fun.

What do you think?

www.habitica.com

message 2: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 278 comments I just recently found it too. It's so cool. I don't mind being in your party.

message 3: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Not sure I'll succeed to use it for a long time cause I'm already giving myself too much responsibities (2016 is all about "let it goooo"), but you can add me if the ID works:
821f1537-3381-45cc-9375-1ba585e65bc5

message 4: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 278 comments 67f5702d-9a05-4ad3-8f27-3938eb1e47d6. I think this is my id

message 5: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3230 comments I just downloaded it and I am already confused. How do I delete the automatic things that the app put on my lists? I see how to add stuff, but not how to delete it.

message 6: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Slide to the left on the task menu if you're on iOS, it's the same gesture than for emails.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments I can send invites to the party I'm already in if you want. That's for doing quests and getting rewards. Still have no idea about making guilds or such, but it's fun and should inspire you to be more proactive.

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I've joined too - this looks perfect for me. I love gaming, ticking off lists and combining both is my own personal heaven.

My ID is 9b242daa-5616-4e3c-9e42-59197d1a2fb1. Would love to join the party. :)

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Should be a party invite coming through to everyone with ids in this thread. Fun quest activities to get you motivated.

message 10: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Adam, to create a new guild, it seems we need at least 4 gems (I've none *go cry in the corner*).

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Trying to save up. Could buy them, but you can earn them on quests and events from what I've heard. I got one for visiting the website, but the page crashed and I lost it.

message 12: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments It's also possible to create a party with invited members but the wiki says it's only possible to join one team. I don't know how it works when you're already in a guild and wants to participate to their quests. It's a little complicated for me to understand the social side for the moment.

Sorry for your gem Adam, it was probably stolen by some thief or gem-eater. You should think about adopting a pet to keep your treasures safe :D

message 13: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments I've got a nice black flying pig to keep me safe. At least this party is active when it comes to quests. Also plenty of challenges run through the site. Even a few to pick up the reading pace. Should make it up in no time.

message 14: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Argh, this thing is turning me into a cleaning monster.

message 15: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments At least you're being productive. That's what's important.

message 16: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 856 comments I tried it but I found it just added one more thing to check daily and was not that useful.

message 17: by Books In Bloom (new)

Books In Bloom (booksinbloom) Used to love this app, but could never find any active users. Would love to be in the group.

aa9f86ff-942e-47a0-bef0-e128ec634b31

message 18: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Party invite sent. Still trying to save up to open a guild.

message 19: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I haven't been able to get into it yet (not literally, I've signed up and joined the group). I think I need to spend a bit of time setting up what my daily tasks need to be. About to start five weeks of school holidays with the Spider, so I think I'll need it more than ever! Too easy to devolve into lazy chaos when there's no structure to the day.

message 20: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Jody, I think you should give you a reward for reading The Stand (to-do: finish the stand). I'll give one to me, I've virtual pets to feed :p

message 21: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Major milestones are a good way to go. Pushing myself to try and finish 7 books this month for the joy of ticking boxes.

message 22: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 278 comments I won't be joining the group, sorry guys. I've joined with my partner, we're doing it together. I'm hoping it will help him get more motivated to get stuff done. But I will follow all your comments here, and join in the conversation occasionally.

message 23: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Zaz wrote: "Jody, I think you should give you a reward for reading The Stand (to-do: finish the stand). I'll give one to me, I've virtual pets to feed :p"

Ha! You're right, I will deserve a reward when I finish that book.

message 24: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 278 comments I've changed my mind (again). I have used my old account to join this party. I am using it purely for reading goals and I've put all my challenge books on it that I have planned to be read this year.

message 25: by Books In Bloom (new)

Books In Bloom (booksinbloom) I love the challenges feature, i found a few reading ones, so i joined them. I think it'd be cool to add our 52 weekly topics to a challenge. I like checking boxes too. ;)

message 26: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3230 comments How are we supposed to concentrate on Habitica when there are Pokemon to catch???? :-P

message 27: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Add a box for each Pokemon you catch.

message 28: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3230 comments Good point!

ffb195dc-c719-4889-9bcd-b4968347420b

message 29: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Pokémon Go is still not available worldwide, they are very annoying :(

message 30: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments I'm waiting until I get some credit on my phone before I start. Hoping they iron out the bugs before then.

message 31: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 697 comments I joined too :)

ad3de0ee-09b4-4ddc-8b6e-07dbeb009e56

message 32: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Painful times on mission. Wake up and half the party died. I was only on five and only because I compulsively buy potions.

message 33: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 278 comments Yes, it was a bit of disappointment :( I lost a level, gold, a weapon... Oh well, never mind. :)

message 34: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments What actually happens when you die? Been avoiding it as hard as possible.

message 35: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Well, when I refreshed, it said I died, I lost all my money (I was at 100 gold) and one piece of equipment (the cheap shield). And I came back to life with a full health. Maybe I lost a level, but I didn't pay attention to this. It was annoying because last time I checked, my health was between 40&48 so no true need to use a potion.

message 36: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments Then Starkarrow murdered everyone with 40 damage. People yelled and they quit.

message 37: by Joy (new)

Joy | 57 comments Anyone still using this? or want to add a new challenge for 2017?

message 38: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1192 comments A few of us were still doing this. Not sure where everyone stands now.