Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Troublemaker (GO-Team, #1)
This topic is about Troublemaker
Archive > July 2016 Book of the Month-Troublemaker

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments For Morgan Yancy, an operative and team leader in a paramilitary group, nothing comes before his job. But when he’s ambushed and almost killed, his supervisor is determined to find out who’s after the members of his elite squad—and why. Due to worries that this unknown enemy will strike again, Morgan is sent to a remote location and told to lay low and stay vigilant. But between a tempting housemate he’s determined to protect and a deadly threat waiting in the shadows, keeping under the radar is proving to be his most dangerous mission yet.

The part-time police chief of a small West Virginian mountain town, Isabeau “Bo” Maran finally has her life figured out. She’s got friends, a dog, and a little money in the bank. Then Morgan Yancy shows up on her doorstep. Bo doesn’t need a mysterious man in her life—especially a troublemaker as enticing and secretive as Morgan.

The harder they fight the intense heat between them, the closer Morgan and Bo become, even though she knows he’s hiding from something. But discovering the truth could cost Bo more than she’s willing to give. And when Morgan’s cover is blown, it might just cost her life.

message 2: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments sorry Junkies, I was in Tucson and I couldn't get on to the Goodreads site with my Mom's computer. It was an apple and it has a lot of security on it that I don't know how to break. (My mom is worse than me)

message 3: by Eve (last edited Jul 05, 2016 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Plan to start with Troublemaker this weekend. I try to remember that its not thrilling suspense but more of a dog story ;)

message 4: by Eve (last edited Jul 05, 2016 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Did you know that those are Linda Howard's dogs in "Troublemaker". From Linda Howard's Facebook page:

I put my dogs in "Troublemaker," in the form of the heroine's golden retriever, Tricks. Everything that Tricks does, one of mine has done at one time or another, but a lot of the antics and behaviors belong to Sugar, who was hands (paws?) down the most intelligent dog I've ever seen. And a diva. And she held a grudge. Just ask LJ, who unknowingly committed a grievous sin against her, and Sugar never forgot or forgave. I was the only human she obeyed, because she was so Alpha she figured that if I could get the better of her then I had to be the Most High Goddess of the Universe. She was a connoisseur, choosing the color of ball she wanted (and they say dogs can't distinguish colors. Baloney! Sugar preferred pink, every time), and whenever something was presented to her she wanted options, so she could choose between them. I cut three scenes with Tricks out of the book. -- Linda H.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments There are several authors who use dogs as part of their plots, RS writers and several cozy authors, but I'm not a big fan of the dog as a omnipotent being. This story veered way to close to that for my taste.

message 6: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I had a feeling that Tricks came from her real life dogs. Thanks for putting LH's comment her, Eve.

message 7: by Eve (last edited Jul 16, 2016 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I finally started with Troublemaker.
Beginning was not bad, although the story moves on quite slowly. Seriously how many times do you want to read about throwing tennis ball to the dog or feeding dog kibble to Tricks **roll eyes**.
With more editing the story could have been more fast-paced.
But I guess its ok for a warm and lazy summer day.
BTW: I have a feeling that LH did not only put her dogs into the story but her husband's recovery from the heart surgery as well.

Janeiowa | 4988 comments LH has said that "Tricks" is based on her dogs...esp. Tank, apparently.

I just felt she got so involved with the dog that she forgot about the characters and the plot. Maybe her husband's illness had her lose focus and so she wrote of something "cute and happy." I don't know, of course, just guessing.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments I can see how LH's dogs would get her through the very difficult time of her husbands surgery. There were many good things about the plot of Troublemaker. It was sad that it descended into little more than the Tricks show.

At the start, it made me think, "Yeah, another one like the Kell Sabin books." It had great potential.

Janeiowa | 4988 comments I think you're right on target; at least, that's what I think, too.

message 11: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Perhaps from LH's POV I could see how when you are dealing with something as traumatic as your husband surgery, especially the kind that saves his life, it would be hard to write a really good book. Since I have been through similar situations more than once I can honestly say I couldn't do it.

message 12: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I just finished "Troublemaker".
Part of me is happy that Linda Howard took the time to write new book but part of me is sad that this story was not up to her usual standard. Whereas LH has never written bloodcurdlingly plots like e.g Karen Rose, she still writes good romantic suspense.

This book was taken over by that dog! For some reason Tricks sounded quite annoying and nothing special. Okay, she was brilliant at catching tennis ball, knowing her feeding times, hell-bent on keeping her seat, but then -- lots of dogs are like this. What's there so astonishing?

I think that with some good editing and rewriting this story could have been great book. At least it was not so bad that I wanted to quit reading :)

message 13: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments That's how I felt it wasn't horrible, like some books I have read, but it just wasn't up to her usual standards.

I can really identify with LH's attachment (that word seems so pale to the feelings inside) to her special dog. I currently have a once in a lifetime dog that I feel the same way. So when she went on and on about Tricks I wasn't as put off about it maybe as much as every one else. For me it was like her and I got into that obsessive kind of talking about our special babies. I don't know if any of you understand where I am coming from. Still gave the book a 2 1/2 stars.

message 14: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I didn't quite get that attachment Bo and Tricks had. The biggest problem was that Tricks was more like Bo's companion than a [mere] dog --- they were always together, the dog was not left at home even when Bo went to work, so no rest from her even during the day time ;)

message 15: by Dee (last edited Jul 22, 2016 12:14AM) (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I have found when I lived by myself, and Bo had done this her whole adult life, you get more attached to an animal and they were companions rather than a mere dog. That is the role my dog has, and he goes a lot of places with me.

Marika | 78 comments I enjoyed this book very much! I liked how the relationship between Morgan & Bo slowly built. You could see how and why the characters fell in love.

I was entertained by Tricks tricks and her firm training of her humans. That dog was one big Diva :-D As my grandmother has golden retriever, then I can assure you that they can be entertaining and become part of the family.

I would have liked more background on why Bo's estranged step-brother trusted Bo enough to send Morgan there to recuperate. There seemed to be so much hostility between those two but it created some funny moments (at the wedding I felt quite sorry for Axel).

message 17: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am glad someone liked this book. I wasn't as crazy about it as some of her other books but it wasn't that bad, and repeating myself I can understand the relationship Bo had with Tricks.

message 18: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Actually Troublemaker was not bad. I just didn't like it as much as some of LH's other stories.
And the most important: Linda Howard is writing again :)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments Yes! Linda Howard is writing again. Since I got very little else of value from that book, I did get that. I have every hope that she will write a new book that gives us all the "old Linda Howard"

Janeiowa | 4988 comments Anita: YES! Back to the kind of writing in Mr. Perfect and Running Wild and Cover of Night and After the Night, etc.

That would be terrific, I think.

message 21: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I also keep hoping that we get to see "old Linda Howard" again who creates sexy alpha male heros, smart quirky heroines, witty dialogue and sizzling chemistry. She does it so well. What I also like about Linda Howard is that her stories are completely different, each of them unique.

I look forward reading Frost Line. It sounds different from LH's usual stories, so it could be total flop or something to enjoy.