You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > August 2016 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jul 09, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments This year is running away with itself it seems. August is just around the corner so we had better have a think on our group read theme for that month.

So if you have an idea for a theme, go ahead and nominate it below.

Alternatively, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Only 5 themes will make the cut and end up in the poll.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations close 10th July

Nominated Themes:
A smile on your face
Months in the title
Alternate History

message 2: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments I want to nominate books with months in the title (like: Light in August, 4th of July or September) - or has that been a theme already, recently? I can't remember...

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Jul 05, 2016 03:14AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments A lot of bad things have been happening around the world lately and National Smile Week is in August so I want to lighten things up a bit and nominate books that put a smile on your face. It could be a comedy book, a book with a cover that makes you feel happy, a cover with someone smiling/laughing on it, etc.

message 4: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Lisa wrote: "A lot of bad things have been happening around the world lately and National Smile Week is in August so I want to lighten things up a bit and nominate books that put a smile on your face. It could ..."

I like that! :D

message 5: by Lanelle (last edited Jul 05, 2016 07:17AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3359 comments There are so many good books with a month in the title!
I'm going to second this nomination.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1649 comments Iwould like to second smiles.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Really? We only have 2 theme nominations? That has to be a first! Any more for any more people?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments So here in the UK we've had the whole Brexit fiasco. Before the vote, there were 2 possible futures - carry on as we are (stay in EU) or an unknown (if we leave). The votes have been cast and we're moving in to the unknown now. Some people are happy about this whilst others aren't. I wonder if in 50 years time people will think back to the vote and wonder what would have happened instead if we'd remain and played that "story" out in their mind. Just like people have mused about Hitler being run over by a car when he was a child. So I'm going to nominate Alternate History.

message 9: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Good one, Sarah!

And? Are you happy, sad or angry about the results of the referendum?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Elsbeth wrote: "Good one, Sarah!

And? Are you happy, sad or angry about the results of the referendum?"

:-( I'm not going to go in to it in this thread so that we can keep things on topic. If you search back through the "Watcha doin" thread though you'll find my opinions.

message 11: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "Elsbeth wrote: "Good one, Sarah!

And? Are you happy, sad or angry about the results of the referendum?"

:-( I'm not going to go in to it in this thread so that we can keep things on topic. If yo..."

Okay! :-)

message 12: by Fee (new)

Fee | 232 comments I second Alternate History though the other two themes sound interesting as well.

message 13: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jul 10, 2016 06:23AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17774 comments Right, the shop is closed, everybody get out.

description

Poll Link:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Thanks all!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.