Stefen's Bookclub discussion

All the Birds in the Sky

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (tijgerlil) | 15 comments I won't be making it to this book club, though I did read and enjoy the novel. It seems there were quite a few people that didn't like it within the group and based on the reactions to the last novel, I'm kinda not sorry to be missing this one.

I'm all for spirited debate but sometimes the way people bring their opinions across irks me.

In any case, I'm sure someone will fill me in on what occurred during the evening!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Druss (new)

Druss Smith | 2 comments It was a good discussion of where the book went wrong. Tim liked the book, Brad, Stefen and myself were more like it was just meh and the rest didn't like it especially Emma. The main complaint was everything was rushed and she did not expand on any of the numerous interesting ideas she put in the book.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (tijgerlil) | 15 comments I went in to see Stefen and he said something similar.

I'm sorry I missed the discussion. I don't think I read as critically as everyone else does. (Ironic, since I'm studying English Lit!) So the points raised by yourself and Stefen just didn't bother me, nor take away from the story.

I guess I am too accepting a reader?

I'll be back for the next one unless my little toe decides to fight with my couch again! Also, my kitten should be more adept at being left alone!! :-)

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Casey | 7 comments Both Uprooted and All the Birds made for some lively discussion, which for the most part I'd say is a good thing. I can see why some opinionating may be described as irksome. It is tough to find that balance of being honest about what one thought while also being open to other perspectives that may alter one's own, and to do so without being overbearing/arrogant/insufferable/adjective of your choice.

I enjoyed the book but it didn't rock my world.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (tijgerlil) | 15 comments I guess my comment about irksome-ness was a bit catty.
I don't mind someone saying they didn't like something I did. In fact I welcome it! My opinion on a book as been altered more than once by hearing others speak of it.
I guess my issue the last time was feeling that I was ridiculed or seen as stupid for liking something others maybe didn't.....

Anyway, like I said, I am sorry I missed the discussion.

Next time.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Casey | 7 comments If that's cattiness, it's the mildest version in recorded history. So no, it wasn't catty. It's a pity if people don't feel respected and more of a pity when people cause that feeling unnecessarily. Not that it's ever necessary.

Your reaction to Uprooted flowed genuinely from your experiences as a reader and a person, so there was nothing wrong about it. "Stop liking what I don't like" sentiments are not reflective of emotional or intellectual maturity.

If you had been factually wrong or had some interpretation that was way off base (like, conspiracy theorist level disconnect from the written word) that would be another matter, but you weren't.

As always, I'm looking forward to the Walter Tevis next month.