Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > HF American Civil War

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erikka (new)

Erikka | 1 comments I recently read "I Shall Be Near To You" by Erin Lindsay McCabe. I felt like I was there with the way she described every detail and the ending made me cry. I am in search of another book that is like it.

I like books that have a women's point of view.

I would love any recommendations.

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 6 comments You can try Cold Mountain. The only one I can think of with strong women in it.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 94 comments I recommend: The Civil War Trilogy Gods and Generals / The Killer Angels / The Last Full Measure by Michael Shaara

message 4: by Fiona (last edited Jul 08, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 249 comments March by Geraldine Brooks is mostly from the main male character's POV, but later you get his wife's viewpoint. They're actually the parents from Little Women.

message 5: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 63 comments If this is not allowed, I will delete, but my book The Doctor's Daughter: Journey to Justice is from the woman's point of view. It's a murder mystery set in Civil War Nashville with medicine, law and romance. Recommended read by the TN Library Association. The sequel comes out in August.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 542 comments Sisters of Shiloh is superb--two sisters who disguise themselves as men to join the war as soldiers.

message 7: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Woodling Erikka wrote: "I recently read "I Shall Be Near To You" by Erin Lindsay McCabe. I felt like I was there with the way she described every detail and the ending made me cry. I am in search of another book that is l..."
Hi, Erikka. Shannon's Land may be of interest then. If you get a chance to read it, I'd appreciate your input!

message 8: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 08, 2016 08:20AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Here are a few more - all told from female point of view

My Name is Mary Sutter / Robin Oliveira

The Last Runaway / Tracy Chevalier (although this is PRE-war, set in 1850-1852)

Lamb in His Bosom / Caroline Miller (This covers from 1840 to a few years after the Civil war has ended - 1934 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)

message 9: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 646 comments Little Woman in Blue by Jeannine Atkins looks at the Civil War from a woman's point of view, although that's not its main focus.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris | 466 comments I just finished Rita Mae Brown's 1986 novel High Hearts which I thought was very good. Another book where the female MC disguises herself and joins the 1st Virginia Calvary.

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 458 comments I recently read Memory of Light by Mollie Cox Bryan by Mollie Cox Bryan about a Union soldier blinded in both eyes at the Battle of Gettysburg. He later learned to deal with his blindness, married and pioneered in Nebraska. It was very moving. It was based on the life of a particular soldier at that battle.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Hanging Mary was very good.