Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
This topic is about Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
Book Issues > ISBN edition conflict

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grafton (new)

Grafton | 3 comments I have in my possession an edition of this book with ISBN 0441184812 and ISBN13 978-0441184811, Copyright 1991 by Alan Dean Foster and Martin Harry Greenberg with cover art by Robert Grace. My issue is that the edition I have is hardcover and only 276 pages, not the 300+ page paperback edition currently assigned those ISBN values. Is it possible for a hardcover and paperback edition to have the same ISBN? If so, is there a way to indicate that in the database? If not, is there a resource for validating ISBN values? My online searches consistently turn up only the paperback. How best to resolve this conflict?

Cheers!
Grafton

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45016 comments Mod
That ISBN is definitely an Ace paperback. Is it possible your copy is a former library book? Libraries often re-bind mass-market paperbacks with a hardcover binding to improve durability -- especially of books they expect to be popular.

It is also possible that a bookclub publication might have reused the ISBN.

message 3: by Grafton (new)

Grafton | 3 comments Thank you for the information! The book does not appear to be a library copy - none of the usual indicators, anyway. I will try to verify whether it's a book club edition, but I don't recall any indicators that it was.

Cheers!
Grafton