Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Fun and Games > Around the Year Reader's Choice Awards - Second Quarter 2016

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jul 04, 2016 07:00PM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments

The second quarter of the year has come to a close now. Just like last time, lets hand out some awards for the books that we loved in the second quarter. If you didn't get to participate in the first quarter, you still can right over here.

* Using your reads from April, May, and June, choose a winner for each category. You can choose from any of the books you read in those months including side reads and books for other challenges.

* Only use your books from April, May, and June. We'll have a final award ceremony at the end of the year for all the months. If you missed the first quarter awards (January, February, March), you can play along here.

* If you don't have a book for every category, just do the ones you can/want to. It's all for fun.

Note: The categories are open to interpretation. Best Laugh, Best Love, Best Scare, etc. are not limited to Humor, Romance, Horror, etc. You can choose any book from any genre that made you feel those feels.

And the categories are...
Breakout ReadBiggest Let DownBest Dressed
Best CharactersBest LaughBest Cry
Best ScareBest LoveBest Shock
Best AuthorBest SeriesBest Read

And for mobile users or those needing clarification on the categories...

Breakout Read: A book that was surprisingly good or exceeded expectations.
Biggest Let Down: A book you thought would be brilliant but was a total disappointment.
Best Dressed: The book with the most attractive cover.
Best Characters: A book with characters you couldn't get enough of.
Best Laugh: A book that made you laugh out loud (does not have to be a comedy/humor book).
Best Cry: A book that made you ache with sadness (does not have to be a drama/tragedy book).
Best Scare: A book that gave you the creeps (does not have to be a horror book).
Best Love: A book with a romance worth swooning for (does not have to be a romance book).
Best Shock: A book that made your jaw drop in surprise.
Best Author: An author whose writing you really clicked with.
Best Series: A book from a series you either can't get enough of or can't wait to indulge in more.
Best Read: The book you read in April, May, or June that topped all the others.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 04, 2016 08:34PM) (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
Some of these were really hard to choose!

Breakout Read: The Book Thief
Biggest Let Down: It wasn't a disappointment but I was hoping The 5th Wave would be a little bit better.
Best Dressed:
A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
Best Characters: Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives
Best Laugh: None :/
Best Cry: The Book Thief (Runner-up: The Year of Magical Thinking)
Best Scare: A Head Full of Ghosts
Best Love: The Year of Magical Thinking
Best Shock: The Blue: A Novel
Best Author: Sharon Bolton with Little Black Lies
Best Series: Faithful Place
Best Read: The Book Thief

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments The second quarter was a lot tougher for me too.

Breakout Read - The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
I feel like a lot of my reads might have qualified for this award, but I've got to give it to Ms. Rowling. Yes, I know how predictable I am! Truly though, I didn't actually expect to like this series as much as I have. Sure, the fact that it's authored by J.K. Rowling peaked my interest because I am enamored with her style and her knack for character writing, but crime/mystery books aren't really a favorite of mine. But I ended up liking these so much that I re-arranged my whole reading challenge to squeeze the whole series (to date) in.

Biggest Let Down - This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp
This book managed to take something as deeply impactful as a school shooting and turn into one of those terrible ABC Family melodramas. Yeah, I'm looking at you Secret Life of the American Teenager. I was disappointed in how black and white the narrative was. School shooter is bad because ... uh, reasons? It feels like the author squandered a unique opportunity to explore the underlying causes of mass shootings. This could have been a book like Speak, the kind of book that starts a real dialogue about important issues, but it was just crap. In my opinion, of course.

Best Dressed - Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
Because, obviously. Cover swoon incoming!

Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke

Best Characters - From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konisburg
This book is really fantastic. It's one of those children books that is ageless. I loved following Claudia and Jamie Kincaid on their adventures around the Metropolitan Museum of Art but it's Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler herself that really brings it together. She is the perfect narrator to this story.

Best Laugh - Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl's twisted take on some popular fairy tales aligns quite nicely with my dark sense of humor. American Housewife: Stories gets an honorable mention here but only some of the stories were really funny.

Best Cry - What Lies Between Us by Nayomi Munaweera
For the same reason as last time. That ending. Brutal and so heart-wrenching! Ugh, I couldn't stand it.

Best Scare - The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
Not so much scary as it was gruesome but, still, very unsettling.

Best Love - The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger
I didn't really read any lovey type books this quarter, so this one is challenging. There are a lot of complicated relationships in this book and love, in some form, is at the root of that.

Best Shock - Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini
Scientology is shocking. And bizarre. And unbelievable. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Tom Cruise is a huge creep.

Best Author - Roald Dahl
If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times ... I love Roald Dahl. I think he's wickedly brilliant. I owe much of my love of literature to reading him so religiously as a child.

Best Series - The Cuckoo's Calling & The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
Like I said... I didn't expect to enjoy this series so much. I'm looking forward to continuing it. I especially look forward to seeing how the characters develop.

Best Read - George by Alex Gino
I was so blown away by this little book. It's small, but it really packs a punch. Authentic and inspiring.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Jul 04, 2016 08:24PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2811 comments Breakout Read
Tough choice, because three books immediately came to mind that would fit here. I have to say that the one that exceeded my expectations the most was Goodnight Tweetheart. Although I expected that I'd like it, I didn't quite expect to like it as much as I did. (Runners up: A Monster Calls and The Whole Golden World).

Biggest Let Down
Honestly, I had quite a few books that I was disappointed in this quarter, but by far the biggest let down was A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I read this for PopSugar, as my book at least 100 years older than me. While I knew going into it that I probably wouldn't love it, it became the biggest chore to get through! I liked the story well enough, but I just couldn't get into the style and I found it pretty boring to read.

Best Dressed
The Whole Golden World by Kristina Riggle

Best Characters
Me Before You. I really loved the main characters in this book.

Best Laugh
Honestly, I didn't read too many funny books this quarter. I think Mockingbird had some funny moments, so I'll go with that.

Best Cry
A Monster Calls

Best Scare
The Phantom of the Opera had some very creepy moments, especially in the first half. You comes in a close second, for showing just how easy it is to stalk someone using their online posts.

Best Love
This is a tough one because I didn't have too many books that had much of a real love story, at least one that wasn't creepy (ie. You or Phantom). I'll have to go with Me Before You, with Goodnight Tweetheart in a close second.

Best Shock
I can't remember anything shocking me too much, but I think I'll go with The Whole Golden World for the amazing amount of character development by the end.

Best Author
Kristina Riggle, Teresa Medeiros and especially Patrick Ness.

Best Series
I only read two books that were part of a series: Mary Poppins and The Cuckoo's Calling. Of those, I liked The Cuckoo's Calling better, although I have to say, not as much as I expected to.

Best Read
A Monster Calls, with The Whole Golden World in a very close second.

It was actually hard choosing for many of these categories! I had a handful of books this quarter that I really loved, and quite a few that didn't quite live up to my expectations. Some still good, some not so good.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 372 comments Breakout Read: Where We Belong

Biggest Let Down: Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania

Best Dressed: Sunrise (Ashfall, #3) by Mike Mullin

Best Characters: Ashfall

Best Laugh: A Scattered Life

Best Cry: Night

Best Scare: The One That Got Away

Best Love: 15th Affair

Best Shock: Ashen Winter

Best Author: Mike Mullin

Best Series: Ashfall Trilogy

Best Read: Ashfall

message 6: by J (new)

J Austill | 664 comments Breakout Read: - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - I liked this book so much that I read the next three books in the series over the next two months.

Biggest Let Down: - The Fall of Hyperion - I loved the first book, but the conclusion to the story and reveal of all the secrets did not meet with my expectations at all.

Best Dressed:
Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) by Dan Simmons - Hyperion

Best Characters: - My Man Jeeves

Best Laugh: - High Fidelity

Best Cry: Hyperion

Best Scare: - The Trial

Best Love: - The Human Division - (There wasn't much competition for this award).

Best Shock: - Breakfast of Champions

Best Author: - Maya Angelou

Best Series: Maya Angelou's Autobiography

Best Read: Gather Together in My Name

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3473 comments Breakout Read: More Than This by Patrick Ness. I thought I'd like it, but I really loved it. I really enjoyed his writing style.

Biggest Let Down: I read a few duds, but without a doubt, the biggest let down was The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I had stupidly high expectations, and really didn't enjoy it at all.

Best Dressed: I really liked the copy of my cover of Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. The colours and simplicity are gorgeous.

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Best Characters: The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. Tiffany Aching was a brilliant character, I loved the frog man and the men themselves were hilarious. Plus a cameo appearance at the end from my favourite Nanny Ogg, and Granny Weatherwax.

Best Laugh: Surprisingly, The Woman in White had some moments that made me laugh out loud. Very dry and surprisingly funny.

Best Cry: Absolutely Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Heartbreaking.

Best Scare: A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury. The idea of the butterfly effect I find quite terrifying.

Best Love: Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare.

Best Shock: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie. I've said it before, but the lady sure knew how to write a mystery!

Best Author: Patrick Ness - can't wait to read more of his work.

Best Series: The Discworld - it felt great to be back!

Best Read: Flowers for Algernon - it was just beautiful on so many levels, and it broke my heart into a million pieces.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments Oh, I love Flowers for Algernon so much, Jody. I'm glad you got to read it too. It shattered my heart too. It's brutally beautiful.

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 780 comments Breakout Read: Sour Candy. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect going into it but I was incredibly impressed. Such a great short story and I'll definitely be looking for more works by the author.

Biggest Let Down: Fangirl. I tried so hard and I wanted so badly to like it, I thought I would love it. I like Rainbow Rowell's writing style but her characters and plots don't seem to appeal to me at all.

Best Dressed: I was obsessed with the cover of American Psycho. It doesn't show up very well on here because it's mostly plain white with a a small blood smear in the bottom corner. I just thought it was so simple yet effective and very aesthetically pleasing.
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Best Characters: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Such a wide diversity of characters and I just fell in love with all of them!

Best Laugh: Adulthood Is a Myth: A "Sarah's Scribbles" Collection. Absolutely hilarious!

Best Cry: Ok, although Fried Green Tomatoes would actually be my main choice for this due to the ending which made me ugly cry for the duration, I don't want to use it for every category on here so I'll give it to the close second which is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. When Charlie reads out the poem to his friends and then one of the friends reveals where he's heard it before, I just broke.

Best Scare: Let's Go Play At The Adams'. Ok, I haven't actually finished this one yet but I started it in June and it is genuinely terrifying. Definitely wins for best scare. American Psycho would be close second.

Best Love: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Ruth and Idgie have joined my list of OTP's! They're just such a great couple, I love them!

Best Shock: We Were Liars Those plot twists, though.

Best Author: Ray Bradbury. I loved his writing style and am eager to check out more of his work.

Best Series: Sons of Anarchy Vol. 2. I'm loving the graphic novels of the series!

Best Read: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Yeah, I really tried not to use it for every category but it is definitely my best read from my second quarter, although I had a lot of great reads!

message 10: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3250 comments Breakout Read: The Kite Runner I was incredibly shocked that I liked this one as much as I did. It's been on my TBR for years and I just couldn't bring myself to read it. The 52 weeks challenge kind of "forced" me to pick it up and I am very glad that it did. I loved it!

Biggest Let Down: Dorothy Must Die I love a good re-telling. I love Wizard of Oz. I hate this book. With a passion, I hate this book. The writing was juvenile to the point that I would completely believe it if the real author turned out to be a 13 year old boy. Seriously it was that bad.

Best Dressed: Anya's Ghost - I loved the concept of the ghost wound up in Anya's hair and Anya's wary glance back over her shoulder. It was a very good peek at what we could expect in this graphic novel.

Best Characters: Ghost Market All my favorite characters from my favorite series, Lana Harvey, Reapers' Inc. They are like friends to me at this point. :-)

Best Laugh: The Dead Repent: A Zombie's Story It is an awkward and hilarious adjustment when you suddenly become a zombie.

Best Cry: The Death of Ivan Ilych My heart broke for Ivan in his isolation. Very tragic.

Best Scare: Anya's Ghost Very creepy, especially for a graphic novel. Loved it!

Best Love: The Girl Who Came Home, I usually hate fictionalized romances. Too sweet, too convenient, too tragic...just overdone every time. And don't get me started on all the ridiculous love triangles. Ugh. Anyway, this story had a very sweet and heart wrenching love story, partly between a girl and a boy but mostly between a girl and her country. The wrap up at the end was a bit unexpected and a wee bit unrealistic, but for a fictional love story, it was nicely done.

Best Shock: Robinson Crusoe 2244, This book had a couple of shock moments that were really interesting. The rest of the book just didn't hold together for me.

Best Author: Tolstoy Leo Well, once you have read Tolstoy in a quarter, nothing else really can ever match up now can it?

Best Series: Ghost Market - This is book 6 in a series that I absolutely love. It's a guilty pleasure read for when I need a break from the more serious stuff I get myself into reading.

Best Read: The Kite Runner - A really great book that I was sure was going to be dry, boring and possibly upsetting. So glad that I finally gave it a chance because I loved it!

message 11: by Zaz (last edited Jul 05, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Breakout Read: Kindred
I didn't really have expectations, I had this on my TBR because I picked books with various ethnies. It was compelling, interesting, the characterization was very good, I learned things about slavery and it changed some of my views about slave conditions.

Biggest Let Down: The Darkest Minds
I enjoyed it but I was expecting something unusual, very well written, etc. It was just ok.

Best Dressed: Pax
Pax by Sara Pennypacker

Best Characters: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
The cast was good, with varied personalities and some depth.

Best Laugh: The Deal
The characters were fun.

Best Cry: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Almost cried at some point.

Best Scare: The Girl with All the Gifts
Nothing scary but some parts made me worry a little.

Best Love: Fangirl
Cute and touching.

Best Shock: Shadow and Bone
Haha, for once I didn't see the twist coming.

Best Author: Leigh Bardugo
Her short stories are awesome.

Best Series: Throne of Glass
Strong debut, not perfect but it was easy to read and better than what I expected.

Best Read: Fangirl

message 12: by Michelle (last edited Jul 05, 2016 05:04PM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments I feel the same way about Rainbow Rowell, Francesca. There's something about her that doesn't appeal to me. I know she's a well loved author but I've tried to read her a few times and nothing really sticks. I thought her quirky style would be a perfect fit for me. It just hasn't been the case.

I know I've told you this before, Zaz, but Kindred is one of my favorites.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments This topic is awful for my TBR! But I love adding new books after reading your thoughts on them... Here are my picks:

Breakout Read: Blood Promise: during my holidays, I got completely addicted to this YA-vampire book and it's quite surprising for me ;)

Biggest Let Down: Great Expectations: I really wanted to like this book, but it is everything I hate in classics.

Best Dressed: There wasn't any jaw-dropping covers, but I liked this one:
A Criminal Magic by Lee Kelly

Best Characters: Winter of the World: the children of the characters of Fall of Giants did not disappoint! They are almost all courageous, multi-dimensional and interesting.

Best Laugh: No funny books read this quarter, but Dexter always makes me smile (and sometimes laugh), so I'll say Dexter Is Delicious

Best Cry: The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly

Best Scare: I'll say The Last Town, but The Girl with All the Gifts also got me on the edge of my chair.

Best Love: Daisy & Lloyd from Winter of the World

Best Shock: I didn't expect the end of The Girl with All the Gifts at all, but I like it.

Best Author: Am I allowed to say Neil Gaiman? ;)

Best Series: The Wayward Pines series. Soooo thrilling!

Best Read: Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances. I'm more and more into short stories and all of these interested me, except for the last one.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments Breakout Read:The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell

Biggest Let Down:Elisha Barber by E.C. Ambrose( DNF 100 % think goodness my sister just paid a $1.00 for it at our Dollar Tree)

Best Dressed:Secrets of Men in a Lifeboat Secrets of Men in a Lifeboat by Todd R. Baker by Todd R. Baker( even though I DNF it 100 %, just look that the cover)

Best Characters:Tortured Dreams by Hadena James

Best Laugh:Elysium Dreams by Hadena James ( there was parts in it that made me laugh)

Best Cry:Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson It pulls on everything, your very soul, heart and emotions, also its Emotional ,dramatic ,powerful, compelling

Best Scare:The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone ( got an ARC from NetGalley , doing and after reading this I was checking my room and bathroom )

Best Love: Erin and Jordan from Blood Infernal by James Rollins

Best Shock:All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

Best Author:Paul Andrew Hutton his book The Apache Wars: The Hunt for Geronimo, the Apache Kid, and the Captive Boy Who Started the Longest War in American History has a way that he brings to life and off the pages the history and struggle of the Apaches

Best Series: Jack Reacher by Lee Child

Best Read:Jefferson's America: The President, the Purchase, and the Explorers Who Transformed a Nation by Julie M. Fenster

message 15: by Kathryn (last edited Jul 17, 2016 12:07AM) (new)

Kathryn | 219 comments Unfortunately, there were a lot more let downs in the second quarter than the first (and the third is going extremely well so far, which bodes well for the next set of awards).

Breakout Read:
The Time in Between: While this wasn't my top book, I really enjoyed it despite it having collected dust on my shelf for two years (I put off reading because it was too long). Glad I finally picked it up!

Biggest Let Down:
I had expected both The Bluest Eye and Why Not Me? to be really good, but neither really lived up to my expectations.

Best Dressed:
Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran

Best Characters:
I think my favorite overall character was in The Martian and since I'm a math/science nerd, I really enjoyed reading about other math/science nerds.

Best Laugh:
I really wish I could say Why Not Me? because I think Mindy Kaling is hilarious, but I laughed much more while reading The Martian.

Best Cry:
Tracks: One Woman's Solo Trek Across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback. Actually I recommend the movie more than the book (but I'm not gonna lie--there's a part in both the movie and book that caused waterworks).

Best Scare:
Shattered Silk, although that only wins by default--there are supernatural elements, but it's not actually very scary at all.

Best Love:
Pretty much every romance this quarter was either not developed (not a bad thing, just not enough focus on romance to vote it as best love), not healthy, or really sappy/cheesy, so I have no vote for this one.

Best Shock:
Rebecca, even though I had already seen the movie, some things were still very much unexpected.

Best Author:
Daphne du Maurier

Best Series:
Dorothy Must Die was the only series I read and it was a bit of a letdown. Another win by default.

Best Read:
Rebecca

message 16: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyslibrary) | -7 comments So fun looking back at these!

Breakout Read: The Glass Castle
Biggest Let Down: A Wrinkle in Time
Best Dressed: The Yoga of Max's Discontent
Best Characters: Big Little Lies
Best Laugh: n/a
Best Cry: When Breath Becomes Air
Best Scare: An Untamed State
Best Love: My Brilliant Friend
Best Shock: Fates and Furies
Best Series: Big Little Lies
Best Read: The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle The Yoga of Max's Discontent by Karan Bajaj Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi An Untamed State by Roxane Gay My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Breakout Read: A book that was surprisingly good or exceeded expectations.

This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman

Biggest Let Down: A book you thought would be brilliant but was a total disappointment.

Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes

Best Dressed: The book with the most attractive cover.

Fluency by Jennifer Foehner Wells

Best Characters: A book with characters you couldn't get enough of.

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

Best Laugh: A book that made you laugh out loud (does not have to be a comedy/humor book).

Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan -- loved hearing the thoughts of animals!

Best Cry: A book that made you ache with sadness (does not have to be a drama/tragedy book).

Best Scare: A book that gave you the creeps (does not have to be a horror book).

sorry, no creeps

Best Love: A book with a romance worth swooning for (does not have to be a romance book).

Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas

Best Shock: A book that made your jaw drop in surprise.

Best Author: An author whose writing you really clicked with.

Jodi Picoult

Best Series: A book from a series you either can't get enough of or can't wait to indulge in more.

Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan

Best Read: The book you read in January, February, or March that topped all the others.

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 135 comments Breakout Read: Memoirs of a Geisha
Biggest Let Down: The Children of Men
Best Dressed: The Birds of Pandemonium by Michele Raffin
Best Characters: Water for Elephants
Best Laugh: Water for Elephants
Best Cry: If I Was Your Girl
Best Scare: Never Let Me Go
Best Love: Water for Elephants
Best Shock: NYPD Red 2
Best Author: Sara Gruen
Best Series: The Crown
Best Read: Water for Elephants

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 539 comments Breakout Read: Murder on the Orient Express This book kept me guessing all the way till the end!
Biggest Let Down: Tess of the D'Urbervilles It was just not my cup of tea at all.
Best Dressed: The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next, #3) by Jasper Fforde
This cover makes me smile when I see it
Best Characters: Cocaine Blues
Best Laugh: A Dirty Job This book had me giggling for so much of it.
Best Cry: I don't think any of them did this go around
Best Scare: The Haunting of Hill House I don't think the book scared me but it sure did give me the creeps!
Best Love: A Court of Mist and Fury
Best Shock: Rebecca I wasn't expecting the ending at all.
Best Author: I would say Agatha Christie with Gail Bowen in a close second
Best Series: Cocaine Blues Loved this book and the second one as well. I can't wait to read the rest of them!
Best Read: Oh man this one is hard! I would say that it is split between Shadow Rider and A Court of Mist and Fury They are both great books!

message 20: by Kathy (last edited Jul 22, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Kathy | 2417 comments Breakout Read: A book that was surprisingly good or exceeded expectations:

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Biggest Let Down: A book you thought would be brilliant but was a total disappointment:

The Smell of Other People's Houses

Best Dressed: The book with the most attractive cover:

The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson

Best Characters: A book with characters you couldn't get enough of:

The Summer Before the War

Best Laugh: A book that made you laugh out loud (does not have to be a comedy/humor book):

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Best Cry: A book that made you ache with sadness (does not have to be a drama/tragedy book):

Displacement: A Travelogue

Best Scare: A book that gave you the creeps (does not have to be a horror book)

Never Let Me Go

Best Love: A book with a romance worth swooning for (does not have to be a romance book)

Best Shock: A book that made your jaw drop in surprise:

Big Little Lies

Best Author: An author whose writing you really clicked with:

Tie between: Liane Moriarty and Helen Simonson

Best Series: A book from a series you either can't get enough of or can't wait to indulge in more:

Hercule Poirot again by Agatha Christie

Best Read: The book you read in April, May, and June that topped all the others:

message 21: by Katie (last edited Jul 26, 2016 10:01AM) (new)

Katie | 2364 comments So fun & so hard!

Breakout Read: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
This was a book chosen for my book club in April. I could not have been less excited. The book was 600+ pages. And high fantasy. Not my genre of choice. So can I say how shocked I was when I actually loved it. Well plotted. Interesting characters.

Biggest Let Down: The First 20 Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can: Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer by Gretchen Reynolds
I'm trying to get healthy, and a friend of mine raved about this book. Multiple times. So I was excited to see how it would motivate me to exercies more. The whole book was a recap of study after study proving we don't really know anything about exercise science. It was disheartening instead of inspiring.

Best Dressed: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
Not the most stunning cover I've seen, but the prettiest one this quarter.
The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1) by Roshani Chokshi

Best Characters: The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
This book follows an abolitionist and her slave through their lives, separate but linked. The narration switches between the two women so you get an intimate portrait of their inner lives.

Best Laugh: Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants by Jim Tews
A satire of Humans of New York, I recommended this to all my cat-loving friends. I mean, cats are a lot more complex than you think.

Best Cry: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Let's be honest. Are we surprised? I was listening to the audiobook at work, so luckily I was able to keep it together.

Best Scare: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick
Obviously not a horror book, but I was completely horrified by what the whalemen on this boat went through. Sometimes true life is scarier than fiction.

Best Love: North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Yes, I did succomb to the charms of Mr. Thornton.

Best Shock: The Cove by Ron Rash
I didn't read any books this quarter that truly shocked me. I read a few books where I could tell the author was trying to shock me, but I wasn't fooled. I don't know that The Cove was especially shocking either, but it had to get on my list somehow because it was a gorgeous book. I was amazed at the outcomes for some of the characters, but I probably shouldn't have been since it's Southern Gothic.

Best Author: Zora Neale Hurston
Hurston's writing was absolutely exquisite. Like to the point I wanted to write down passages from the books, just so I could have them available to me anytime I need beautiful prose. Runner up: Ron Rash

Best Series: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
I read the entire Lunar Chronicles over the course of a few weeks, but Scarlet was by far my favorite. When I got to the end of the series, I'd put it at a definite 3 stars, but after Cinder and especially Scarlet, I was definitely excited about the series, like to be telling people about it. As a whole, I don't think the series deserves my proselytizing, but I was especially impressed with how Meyer used elements of Little Red Riding Hood in Scarlet.

Best Read: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
And finally, the top pick is this classic that I wish I'd read sooner. It wins Best Read solely on the beauty of the prose.

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments Emm, I just read Wink Poppy Midnight over the weekend. I adore the cover. What did you think of the novel?