Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Nominations for September 2016

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (new)

Val What would you like to be reading in September?
Please nominate any book from the long or short lists of any year.

message 2: by JenniferD (last edited Jul 04, 2016 06:21PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments i recently acquired a copy of Gillespie and I, by Jane Harris - and longlisted in 2012. i would love to read it here in the group, if there is interest.

i will offer one 'but...': the edition i have (same as one linked above) is just a few pages over the 500 mark, so it may be too chunky, but i thought i would throw it out for consideration.

about the book (description from the prize's website):

As she sits in her Bloomsbury home, with her two birds for company, elderly Harriet Baxter sets out to relate the story of her acquaintance, nearly four decades previously, with Ned Gillespie, a talented artist who never achieved the fame she maintains he deserved. Back in 1888, the young, art-loving, Harriet arrives in Glasgow at the time of the International Exhibition. After a chance encounter she befriends the Gillespie family and soon becomes a fixture in all of their lives. But when tragedy strikes – leading to a notorious criminal trial – the promise and certainties of this world all too rapidly disorientate into mystery and deception. Featuring a memorable cast of characters, infused with atmosphere and period detail, and shot through with wicked humour, Gillespie and I is a tour de force from one of the emerging names of British fiction.

message 3: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 33 comments oh! I bought Gillespie and I as an e-book sometime ago, but then found it in paperback on the bargain book table. I scooped it! So being given a chance, or the kick in the pants, to read it would be fun.

message 4: by Val (new)

Val We have read Gillespie and I as a group.
Here is the discussion: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...?
Most of us enjoyed it (three and four star ratings).
We have not had repeats of books up to now, but you are welcome to add your comments to the old discussions at any time.

message 5: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments oh - whoops!! sorry, val!! and here i thought i carefully looked at past reads in the group to not suggest something you'd already covered. snort!! ;)

message 6: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 33 comments hahaha - I was just about to write the same thing! Whoops! Thanks Val - and if you want a reading buddy for it Jennifer - I'm here! :-) :-)

message 7: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments thanks, penny!! i would really like to get to this book sooner rather than later! :)

message 8: by Val (new)

Val Are there any other nominations?

message 9: by Val (last edited Jul 29, 2016 03:10AM) (new)

Val Anyone who did not read Gillespie and I when the group first discussed it, please join in with this read. It was generally popular with those of us who read it.

For anyone who read it then and doesn't want to read it again, I nominate The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald, which was listed for the inaugural prize in 1996.
The book had a slightly muted reception in the UK among prize juries, but when it was published in the US a couple of years later it won the National Book Critics Circle Award (beating Philip Roth and Don DeLillo) and was one of the New York Times 10 Best Books of the Year.
Five group members have read it, three awarding it 5*, one 4* and one 3*, and several more have it on their to-read lists.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments Val, I'd love to read The Blue Flower. I have a copy and have been meaning to for a while.

message 11: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments Val wrote: "Anyone who did not read Gillespie and I when the group first discussed it, please join in with this read. It was generally popular with those of us who read it...."

thanks for the nudge, val! sorry for being quiet -- was away/offline for a bit. i will try to remember to get my copy of 'gillespie' off the shelf for september! :)

message 12: by Jayme (last edited Aug 10, 2016 03:35PM) (new)

Jayme I would like to nominate Half Blood Blues it was shortlisted in 2012. It's been on my kindle forever just sadly waiting for me to get around to reading it :)

Not sure if it is to late to nominate. I just got back from vacation.

message 13: by Val (last edited Aug 17, 2016 12:32AM) (new)

Val It is not too late Jayme, but that is another we have already read.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...