Book Chat discussion

What Are You Reading / Reviews > July -Sept 2016 - What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1180 comments Mod
We all want to know:

What are you reading?

How many stars?

Synopsis?

Did you like it?

Why?

Why not?

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1) by Helene Wecker The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker – 3***
The novel – a combination of historical fiction and fantasy – tells the story of two supernatural creatures who appear mysteriously in 1899 New York. In general, I like fantasy, and I love magical realism, so I really wanted to like this book. But it never really captured my attention, and I found it tedious to read in places. I was not swept away. Still, there are passages that were riveting and I never felt like I should just give up on the book. Final verdict: a decent but uneven debut, and I won’t be in any hurry to read the planned sequel.
Full Review HERE

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier – 2.5**
In 1850, Honor Bright accompanies her sister to America, hoping for a new start. But the “frontier” of Ohio is very different from the long-established English community Honor left, and she feels adrift and unwelcomed. I’ve been a fan of Chevalier’s for a long time. I like the way she puts the reader into the time and place of her historical novels, and this is no exception. But I didn’t really believe in Honor. It seemed to me that Chevalier got herself into a corner and didn’t know how to get out, so she used the most convenient way to end things. It was so dissatisfying, to me, that I dropped half a star.
Full Review HERE

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff– 5*****
In October 1949 Helene Hanff, a single woman living and working in her small New York apartment, responded to an ad placed in the Saturday Review of Literature by Marks & Co, a bookshop in London that specialized in used books. Thus began a two-decade long correspondence and friendship between the reserved bookseller and the irrepressible Miss Hanff. What a delight it is to be allowed to watch this growing relationship, fueled by a shared love of books, and an ability to laugh at oneself and one’s follies. It’s the kind of book I’ll read over and over just for the sheer joy of it.
Full Review HERE

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman – 4****
Subtitle: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures. This is a fascinating medical mystery, and a balanced exploration of two very different points of view. I thought the book could have used more editing; Fadiman tends to repeat her message. Still, I was really caught up in the story, and appreciated learning more about the Hmong culture.
Full Review HERE

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Brain on Fire My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan – 3***
This was a fascinating memoir – drawn partly from interviews with friends, relations, colleagues and medical personnel, her journal writings during the period, and her medical records – of a time period when Cahalan was nearly completely lost. Her training as a journalist is evident here. She includes much background information on the research into the disorder – anti-NDMA-receptor encephalitis. I was engaged and interested from beginning to end, though I did feel it was a bit repetitive. Heather Henderson does a fabulous job reading the audio book. Her performance really brought to life the deterioration Cahalan experienced, as well as how anxious and confused she felt.
Full Review HERE

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1) by Lee Hollis Death of a Kitchen Diva by Lee Hollis – ZERO stars
This cozy mystery is the first in the Hayley Powell Food & Cocktails Mystery series. There’s a decent idea for a cozy here. But the execution is terrible. The characters are cardboard cutouts, the plot (thin as it is) is completely ridiculous, and the dialogue is tortured. I kept reading only because it fulfilled several challenges. At least it was a fast read.
Full Review HERE

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4) by Dana Stabenow A Cold-Blooded Business by Dana Stabenow – 3.5***
After one too many drug-related deaths at the site, former DA Investigator Kate Shugak is asked to go undercover to the Prudhoe Bay oil fields to find out who is dealing drugs. I had read the first book in this series a couple of years ago and I was not impressed, but I’m glad I gave the series another chance. I like that Shugak is a strong woman, smart, resourceful, dedicated, committed and independent. I also like her strong sense of integrity. I did find some of the characters thinly drawn, however.
Full Review HERE

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Lunch in Paris A Love Story, with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard – 3.5***
When Bard was a graduate student in England (art history), she took a weekend trip to Paris, where she met and had lunch with a Frenchman. And the rest, as they say, is history. This is a charming memoir where Bard explores the many differences between French and American culture. I loved her descriptions of the many meals she enjoyed, and was inspired by several of the recipes she includes.
Full Review HERE

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 1110 comments Mod
The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie

The Man in the Brown Suit, Christie

★ ★

A young woman semi-witnesses a man back-up, stumble, & fall under a train.... She tells the police, that the man had a surprised look on his face as if he'd seen someone/something that frightened him.

She also watches a man in a brown suit acting as a doctor examine him and pronounce him dead.... He "doctor" hurriedly walks away, but not before dropping a piece of paper out of his pocket..... A clue which she decides to follow up on.

She is led to a house on the market, owned by a "colonel",there upon a strangled woman, and the young man who has found the dead woman....

The young woman goes to the local paper w/ her information & convinces the editor to give her a chance at investigative journalism, which leads her further into danger (ridiculous situations) and eventually a fine romance and a prime job.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

A Toxic Trousseau (A Witchcraft Mystery #8) by Juliet Blackwell

Toxic Trousseau, Juliet Blackwell

★ ★ ★ ★

First, I like Juliet Blackwell's writing & characters (unlike other paranormal characters they are not overly stoopid or whiny), I also like the stories, and there is just enough magical-realism to keep the metaphysical aspects semi-believable.

Lily Ivory, descended from a powerful curandera owns & runs Aunt Cora's Closet, where she & her friends sell vintage clothing, herbs, talismans, crystals, & jewelry.

While Lily is away, Autumn Jennings comes into the shop (she is stumbling slightly) and proceeds to disrespect the clothing, the staff, and Lily's familiar, Oscar. Oscar (in presentable form is a pot-bellied pig, in natural form he is 1/2 goblin & 1/2 gargoyle) gets angry and in a protective move, head-butts Autumn, who stumbles and falls.

Autumn also owns a vintage clothing shop, but deals in "high-end" clothing, and historical pieces.

Bronwyn (the herbalist) goes to make amends for Oscar's behavior w/ homemade scones and finds Autumn in her shop, up on a ladder and working at a fast pace.

A few days later Lily is "served" and finds that the woman is suing her for physical damages & loss of ability to work.

When Lily & Maya go to visit Autumn to find out exactly what is going on, they find her above her shop waving a gun at them, shaking, cowering, and fearful. The woman then collapses and eventually dies from Arsenic poisoning.

[History: Apparently back at the turn of the century ball gowns were made from Green & Mauve arsenic laden dyes. Many rich women suffered & dies from arsenic poisoning as the arsenic would leach into their pores when they perspired while wearing the gowns]

Autumn had just obtained a "cursed" Trousseau that once belonged in her family. Both she & her assistant had tried on & worn the ball arsenic green & mauve ball gowns, and it appears that the cursed arsenic gown is what killed Autumn.

Lily sets out to uncover more about the curse of Autumn's family & the toxic trousseau.

Also there was information on the famous spooky mansion, the Winchester House, which is also tied into the story, but with a different name.

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery #1) by Ellery Adams A Killer Plot by Ellery Adams – 3***
This is a pretty interesting cozy mystery, featuring a group of aspiring authors who together try to solve the murder of one of their group. I like Olivia Limoges, and especially like that her faithful dog – a standard poodle named Captain Haviland – is a DOG, not a character who helps solve the crime. I thought Adams did a good job of setting the scene; I really got the sense of a small sea-side community. It held my attention, it had a good pace and I enjoyed trying to figure out who-done-it. I’ll definitely read another in the series.
Full Review HERE

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

July 24 – currently reading

TEXT – Zia Summer by Rudolfo Anaya Zia Summer / Rudolfo Anaya
AUDIO in the car - Beloved by Toni Morrison Beloved / Toni Morrison
Portable AUDIO - Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming Not My Father's Son / Alan Cumming

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George – 3***
I really wanted to love this book. Several people whose opinions I trust have recommended it, and there’s much here to like. But … I never understood why Manon acted as she did. She is such an important part of this book, and yet I feel that I don’t really know her, and never cared about her. And as a result I couldn’t understand why Perdu cared so much. Still, it’s Paris, it’s a love story, it’s about reading. And I did like the “literary prescriptions” at the end.
Full Review HERE

message 17: by Lorin (last edited Jul 27, 2016 03:16AM) (new)

Lorin | 5 comments Just finished.The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss i was pleasantly supprised by how much i enjoyed it. It was chock full of NYC history and old Hollywood glam gossip.

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Ghost Soldiers The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission by Hampton Sides Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides – 4****
Sides crafts a story that is gripping, informative, horrifying and inspiring; the forgotten tale of an “impossible” mission to rescue hundreds of American and British POWs from a Japanese camp in the Philippines. I was captured from page one and mesmerized throughout. I felt that I really got to know the men involved – prisoners and rescuers. This is a history that will appeal to fans of Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken or Doug Stanton’s In Harm’s Way.
Full Review HERE

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Lorin wrote: "Just finished.The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss i was pleasantly supprised by how much i enjoyed it. It was chock full of NYC history and old Holl..."

I saw the documentary special and have this on my TBR.

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis The Diva Runs Out of Thyme by Krista Davis – 3***
I love cozy mysteries – they are my reading comfort food. This has a pretty good premise, and I liked the rivalry between Sophie and Natasha. The story was filled with more suspects than you could shake a turkey leg at, and plenty of plot twists to keep the reader guessing. However, the central murder mystery plot was pretty thin, and the big reveal stretched credulity a little too far. Still, it’s a satisfying, fast read, and I’ll continue the series.
Full Review HERE

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop, #3) by Lila Dare Die Job by Lila Dare – 2.5**
I read cozies for the atmosphere – especially when they are set in a small Southern town – and for the quirky cast of characters. BUT, I do expect a reasonable murder mystery, and that where this particular book fell short. This is book three in the series, though it’s the first one I’ve read, and perhaps the author is running out of ideas. Still, it’s a fast read and I might pick up another if it’s fulfills several challenges (as this one did).
Full Review HERE

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Beloved by Toni Morrison Beloved – Toni Morrison
– 4****
This is a challenging book to read (and to listen to) because Morrison uses multiple narrators, switches time frames without notice, and dribbles out clues to what really happened in a way that keeps the reader off balance and unsure where the story is headed. I did think the “atmospheric” writing sometimes got in the way of the storyline. Still, I loved Morrison’s use of language; I felt immersed in the story, the timeframe, the magic, the brutal reality.
Full Review HERE

message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Zia Summer by Rudolfo Anaya Zia Summer by Rudolfo Anaya – 3***
This is a very atmospheric murder mystery, full of the magical realism that goes with ghost stories and folk tales. But the plot has a fair amount of very real and gritty violence, perpetrated by flesh-and-blood humans, not paranormal entities. The way Anaya describes the landscape, and various characters’ relationship with the land is frequently poetic. I particularly loved Don Eliseo and his cronies, and the ways they helped (or hindered) Sonny’s investigation.
Full Review HERE

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

We're not getting a lot of posts each month, so I'm going to make each review thread last for a 3-month quarter.

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2) by Krista Davis The Diva Takes the Cake – Krista Davis
– 1.5*
Book two in the Domestic Diva series has event planner Sophie Wilson in charge of her sister, Hannah’s, wedding. I read mysteries – even cozy mysteries – for the murder plot. And this one is just plain ridiculous. The best thing about the book is the rivalry between Sophie and Natasha, including the competing advice given at the beginning of each chapter. Oh well, it satisfied several challenges and it was a fast read.
Full Review HERE

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

August 7 – currently reading

TEXT – Murder in Belleville An Aimee Leduc Investigation by Cara Black Murder in Belleville / Cara Black
AUDIO in the car – A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny A Fatal Grace / Louise Penny
Portable AUDIO – La's Orchestra Saves the World  by Alexander McCall Smith La's Orchestra Saves the World / Alexander McCall Smith

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6) by Jerrilyn Farmer

Perfect Sax, Jerrilyn Farmer

★ ★ ★ ★

I know I've read this book before.... but I reread it, as I obviously didn't remember too much about it.

Madeline Bean has just finished catering a huge charity in L.A. for a private music school.... One of her employees' car broke down, so she borrows Maddie's car to get home and Maddie hitches a ride w/ one of the event chairs.

During the event, Maddie comes across her neighbor, whose personal papers she found scattered across her yard... she approaches him in order to return them, he & his girlfriend fly into a rage, accusing her of stealing and trying to blackmail him.

The grand auction prize, a Selmer Mark VI in pristine condition being auctioned off, disappears after the auction... The winner (event chair's husband) goes into a rage and chases down his competitor bidder (w/ Madeline in tow).

Maddie convinces the driver to drop her off downtown.... as she is walking home, the driver's brother-in-law shows up to give her a ride home w/ apologies from his sister the event chair... They hit it off and go to eat at the pantry....

When they finally arrive at Maddie's home they find the police, ambulance, crime scene and the employee who borrowed Maddie's car murdered in Maddie's bed....

Romance, the soap of being a rich man's trophy wife, jealousy, murder, food/catering, house renovation, & insurance fraud play for a pretty interesting story....

Not by any means a "cozy", this book held my interest and I'll even read another.....

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming Not My Father’s Son by Alan Cumming – 4****
In general I am not a big fan of celebrity memoirs, but Cumming’s memoir of a childhood living with an abusive father, and how he came to terms with the abuse, faced his past and overcame it is well worth reading.
Full Review HERE

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian The Double Bind – Chris Bohjalian
– 4****
Seven years ago Laurel survived a vicious attack in the Vermont woods. Now, in her work at a homeless shelter, she is looking through a box of photographs left by a deceased client, when she discovers a photo that convinces her they contain clues to a hidden family secret. Bohjalian crafts a compelling and intricate scenario with layer upon layer of complexity. I loved the way he drew me in, made me believe in Laurel – and Bobbie – and then forced me to reconsider the veracity of their claims. I’m left breathless and drained at the end. And … wanting to start over again to see what clues Bohjalian left that I missed the first time around.
Full Review HERE

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2) by Cara Black Murder in Belleville by Cara Black – 2.5**
This is the second book in the series, and I find that I like the premise of the series, better than I like the books so far. Aimée Leduc is a strong, intelligent, capable woman who doesn’t rely on a convenient strong man to help her (most of the time). But Black seems to get lost in her intricate plots. There are so many threads to follow, so many suspects, so many different dangerous situations, and somehow they don’t really mesh well. Still, I see promise, and I’d be willing to read another.
Full Review HERE

message 31: by Book Concierge (new)

A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny A Fatal Grace – Cara Black – 3***
How could CC de Poitiers have been electrocuted in the midst of a curling match in Three Pines – and without anyone seeing a thing? Chief Inspector Armand Gamache has his work cut out for him solving this mystery, and I love the quiet, efficient way he investigates. I figured out the murderer pretty early, but still enjoyed watching how Gamache arrived at the conclusion. I’ll definitely keep reading this series.
Full Review HERE

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1) by Sheila Connolly One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly – 3***
This is a strong opening for a cozy mystery series. I like Meg; she’s intelligent, relatively self-sufficient, and not easily intimidated. I figured out the culprit long before Meg or the police, and I thought the ending was a little less than satisfying. Still, I like the way Connolly is developing Meg’s relationships with the town’s residents, and there are some delicious recipes featuring apples at the end.
Full Review HERE

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

La's Orchestra Saves the World  by Alexander McCall Smith La’s Orchestra Saves the World – Alexander McCall Smith – 4****
Alexander McCall Smith has a gentle way of introducing the reader to his characters. La and the other residents of the town go about their business in this small Suffolk village during WW2; they worry, rejoice, are fearful, find love, relish friendships, enjoy simple pleasures and take action when they can. I applauded La’s resilience and her ability to maintain her faith in the basic goodness of others. Her scope of influence may have been small, but she was a treasure to those within that circle.
Full Review HERE

message 34: by Book Concierge (new)

Chasing Cezanne by Peter Mayle Chasing Cezanne – Peter Mayle – 3***
This is a fun romp of a crime caper, featuring the rich and famous, a couple of big-time art thieves, a curious (but legitimate) art dealer, and an art forger who is ready to make a change. Of course, there’s also a lovely young lady to brighten the landscape. And who could argue against the delights and magic of Paris and Provence? It reminds me of the Cary Grant movies of the 1940s and 1950s.
Full Review HERE

message 35: by Book Concierge (new)

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah The Nightingale – Kristin Hannah – 3***
It’s a compelling story, and I really liked having the action take place within the lives of these two women. However, at about the midpoint of the narrative, it took a turn towards a romantic melodrama that just really irritated me. And I thought the flashback “mystery” was entirely unnecessary and manipulative. Good but not great.
Full Review HERE

message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2) by Ellery Adams A Deadly Cliché – Ellery Adams – 3***
I like this series. I like Olivia’s independence and “get on with it” attitude. Her relationships with the town’s residents are developing nicely in this second installment. She is definitely beginning to open up to the possibility of love and affection in her life. I thought the reveal was a little over-the-top, but I was still sufficiently entertained. I’ll keep reading this series.
Full Review HERE

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Deck the Halls by Mary Higgins Clark Deck the Halls – Mary Higgins Clark & Carol Higgins Clark
– 3***
Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter, Carol Higgins Clark, combine their talents in a new mystery series featuring the collaboration of the two writers’ lead characters. This is an interesting and fun mystery. Of course, the reader always knows who the culprit is, but it’s fun to watch the police, Regan and Alvirah arrive at the solution. I’ve never read anything by either of these authors before, so the characters were completely new to me, but I never felt lost and the way they come together seemed plausible. All told, this is a quick, entertaining cozy with a satisfying ending.
Full Review HERE

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell Once Upon a River – Bonnie Jo Campbell – 3***
I hardly know what to write about this novel. Very early on I was disturbed by Margo and the adults around her. I wanted to hug her and keep her safe and warm. And then I wanted to shake her till her teeth rattled. And yet … she is a compelling character and I couldn’t just turn away from her. Still, this is no Huckleberry Finn. Twain’s central character had a certain innocence about him, which Margo seems to lack.
Full Review HERE

message 39: by Book Concierge (new)

Mothers, Tell Your Daughters by Bonnie Jo Campbell Mothers, Tell Your Daughters – Bonnie Jo Campbell – 2.5**
I think it was a mistake to read/listen to Campbell’s novel (Once Upon a River) back-to-back with this collection of short stories. I can take only so much distress, so much sexual tension and acting out, so much of watching women make bad choice after bad choice after even worse choice. There were a few stories that were humorous or touching, but most were distressingly dismal and depressing.
Full Review HERE

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells The Island of Dr Moreau – H.G. Wells – 4****
“It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature!” I cannot think of a more succinct way to describe the basic theme of this book. And yet, it is so much more – a strong, philosophical and ethical argument both for and against vivisection and experimentation. A moral tale of one man’s descent as a result of his ego, and how he is able to draw others into his twisted way of thinking.
Full Review HERE

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3) by Cleo Coyle Latte Trouble – Cleo Coyle – 3***
Book three in the Coffee House series is fast, entertaining, and enjoyable. I figured out the culprit way before Clare (or the police), but it was still fun watching them work through the clues. As always, Coyle includes some interesting tidbits about coffee, which I liked (even though these segues detracted from the plot).
Full Review HERE

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Relish My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley Relish: My Life in the Kitchen – Lucy Knisley – 3***
This is a delightful graphic memoir. Knisley is the daughter of a chef, and has had a close relationship with food since early childhood. She enjoys experiencing new tastes, textures, and smells, and considers food not just as sustenance but a central enjoyment in her life.
Full Review HERE

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy Grace Interrupted – Julie Hyzy – 3***
Book number two in the Manor House Mysteries has Marshfield Manor grounds overrun by a group of Civil War re-enactors. When one of them is found stabbed, the Manor’s gardener, Jack Embers, is a suspect. Grace jumps in to clear Jack’s name. I like Grace, but seriously, does Grace really have to get embroiled in this mess? Well, it wouldn’t be a cozy without an amateur sleuth. The character I like the best, is the irascible assistant, Frances. What a hoot she is.
Full Review HERE

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Sept 11 - Currently Reading

TEXT: Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs Death by Darjeeling / Laura Childs
AUDIO in the car: The Geography of Genius A Search for the World's Most Creative Places from Ancient Athens to Silicon Valley by Eric Weiner The Geography of Genius / Eric Weiner
Portable AUDIO: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain / Garth Stein

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha Christie The Mirror Crack’d From Side To Side – Agatha Christie – 3.5***
Miss Marple is showing her age but she’s really not so frail as people think, and she can still out-detect the most experienced Scotland Yard inspector. Christie really kept me guessing on this one. There are plenty of suspects, and lots of red herrings. Miss Marple is at her best in using her knowledge of human behavior and deducing the truth.
Full Review HERE

message 46: by Book Concierge (new)

Ask a Mexican by Gustavo Arellano ¡Ask a Mexican! – Gustavo Arellano – 2**
“¡Ask a Mexican!” is the title of Arellano’s regular column in the OC Weekly, in which he tries to answer questions on the culture of America’s rapidly growing minority. This is a collection of those columns. Like most such satirical / humorous columns, they are best taken once a week. Reading all of them at once was a bit much. I was bored by much of it and didn’t find it very funny, though I did like the descriptions of food.
Full Review HERE

message 47: by Book Concierge (new)

For Your Love (Blessings) by Beverly Jenkins For Your Love – Beverly Jenkins – 3***
This is the sixth book in the Blessings series, which follows the residents of Henry Adams, Kansas, a small town originally founded by freed slaves. I liked that things don’t always go smoothly, but that – for the most part – the characters react realistically. And then there’s Astrid Wiggins; she is a caricature, so evil and unreasonable in her hatred and vindictiveness that she’s totally unbelievable. On the whole, however, it was an enjoyable, quick read. It reminded me of both the Miss Julia series by Ann B Ross, and the Harmony series by Philip Gulley.
Full Review HERE

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein The Art of Racing In the Rain – Garth Stein – 5***** and a ❤
The story could be maudlin but it isn’t. Enzo is a philosophical narrator, and also a fair one. (Though he does have a thing for the zebra demon.) There are moments of laugh-out-loud humor, sing-out-loud joy, and sigh-out-loud sadness. I listened to the CD for this re-reading. The audio is performed perfectly by Christopher Evan Welch. Have a hankie ready for the last few chapters.
Full Review HERE

message 49: by Book Concierge (new)

Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs Death by Darjeeling – Laura Childs – 3***
This is a good cozy mystery. I like how Childs took time to build the relationships among the tea shop’s employees, and other characters. There are plenty of suspects, and a couple of red herrings to keep the reader guessing. I’ll keep reading this series.
Full Review HERE

message 50: by Book Concierge (new)

Sept 18 – currently reading

TEXT – The Boy Kings of Texas A Memoir by Domingo Martinez The Boy Kings of Texas: A Memoir by Domingo Martinez
AUDIO in the car – The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
Portable AUDIO – The Girl in the Green Raincoat (Tess Monaghan, #11) by Laura Lippman The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman

« previous 1