Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Writing and Self-Promotion > (Lookielook's VF book) The Zookeeper's Dilemma

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
The Zookeeper’s Dilemma is the story of Lucy who discovers that she is descended from a long line of ancestor spirits. These Spirits, divided into clans and constantly fighting among themselves for dominance, have secretly infiltrated and influenced civilization for millennia. But as humans begin to destroy the planet’s ecosystem and threaten the very existence of the Spirits, the Clans make plans to take control. Lucy must decide which faction to join, a choice which could tip the balance and seal humanity’s fate.

I think it’s safe to say that this novel wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club. I was never a fan of *romance* novels until I started watching the monthly hangouts with Felicia, Bonnie, Kiala and Veronica. After listening to them talk about books, I came to appreciate that there was far more to the genre than I had previously thought. Indeed, they were instrumental in rekindling my love of reading and writing. As a tribute, I included them as minor characters in the novel.

This book is not your typical urban fantasy novel. It draws on aspects of a variety of cultures from around the world and through time, stitching them together into one narrative. One of my favorites things to do in my writing is to take common tropes and twist them into new and unexpected forms. The protagonist has no special powers. She’s just a woman with a regular job who gets thrust into impossible situation after impossible situation, yet ultimately it is her choice that will decide the fate of both the Spirit world and humanity. It’s a story filled with panic, humor, action, and sexy times.

If you like what you see so far, please follow this book, recommend it to others, or leave a review. I’ll continue with this project whether or not it is fully funded, but your support can only make it better. If the funding goal is reached, a portion of the purchase price will go to support animal rescue charities. Read more or pre-order at Inkshares.

I'll be posting the first scene with Felicia, Veronica, Bonnie, and Veronica next Monday, July 11, 2016, and there will be a new scene each week after that.

message 3: by Sean Lookielook (last edited Jul 11, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

It's Monday, so as promised here's a new scene from the book. This is the first appearance Felicia, Kiala, Bonnie, and Veronica. I think I've captured their voices pretty well. There's also a few little Easter eggs in there for regular Vaginal Fantasy viewers.

Here's a direct link to the new scene.

Again, thank you for your support of this novel. If you haven't already, please follow, recommend and share this project with your networks. I need your help to make this happen.

I want to talk for a minute about Inkshares and why you should check it out.

Full disclosure: I currently have a campaign running on the site.

INKSHARES FOR WRITERS

Inkshares isn’t just another crowdfunding website. They’re a publisher who uses crowdsourcing to select which projects will be produced. Basically, they’ve replaced the slush pile with a poll where you vote with your dollars. This lets you decide which books are worth publishing instead of some anonymous editor.

It also means that when your campaign is successful, you’re not just handed a pile of cash, and it’s expected for you to do all the work of publishing and marketing. Once you reach your funding goal, Inkshares provides all the services of a regular imprint from cover art to distribution.

INKSHARES FOR READERS

Inkshares isn’t just for writers, but readers as well. You can earn credits to get free books just for doing referrals and backing certain projects. You get five dollars just for your free registration. That’s half the price of an ebook right there. I’ve earned fifty dollars to spend on books without even trying.
It’s also a great place to find new authors and great new books to read. And unlike the horde of self-published titles on Amazon, you can be sure that Inkshares books are professionally produced to the highest quality standards.

Names you know like Geek & Sundry, Nerdist, and The Sword & Laser have all sponsored contests there. Inkshares is definitely the place to check out and support the best new writers, not just in genre fiction, but across the board.

Do yourself a favor and visit Inkshares today.

I mentioned that I was going to give a portion of the proceeds from my pre-orders to charity, so I guess I should explain what I meant by that. Some authors will give away free t-shirts, or coffee mugs with their cover art on it. I figure if you’re anything like me, you already have a closet brimming with clothes and a cupboard full of novelty ceramics. You don’t need more stuff that you’ll probably never use.

Instead, I’d like to give back the money that I’d waste on swag to help support those who take care of our animal friends. The highest law among the Ancestor Spirits in my book is the care of their totems, because without them they would be lost and helpless. I decided I couldn’t do any less. I haven’t made a final decision yet, but likely donation candidates are the Humane Society and AWRE. (They can put the money toward updating their website from the nineties.)

Now this is where it gets a little complicated. Because of the way the Inkshares funding structure works, there are three possible scenarios:

1. The book sells less than 250 pre-orders. – In this case, the book is not published and you are not charged any money. After a good cry, I’ll probably put the book up on Amazon or Smashwords. You can get it there if you’re still interested.
2. The book sells more than 250 pre-orders, but less than 750. – This makes the book eligible for the ebook-only Quill collection. Inkshares takes the money from the first 250 copies to cover production expenses, but the rest is split 70/30 between me and them.
•For 250-350 copies, I’ll donate a $100 flat amount.
•For 300-749 copies, I will give $1 from each book sold after the 250 mark, up to the maximum of $500.
3. The book sell 750 or more pre-orders. – Should the book reach the full publication goal, all the money from the first 750 copies will go toward production costs. (This includes all the editing, marketing, distribution, etc. that goes into publishing a book. I don’t have a problem with this, as it’s all the stuff that most writers hate doing, including myself.) That means, however, that my take from pre-orders goes back to zero at the 750 mark, so:
• For 750-1000 copies, I’ll donate a flat $500 out of my own pocket because I’ll just be so damned happy that I got published.
• For more than 1,000 copies, I will give $2 from each book sold after the 750 mark, no maximum.

I hope that makes sense. Honestly, if I could give all the money away, I would, but I still need to do things like eat and pay rent. Also, writing books takes a lot of time, and I need to be able to justify all that work with a paycheck of some kind so I can bring you the sequels.

This offer is for pre-orders only, so you must purchase before October 2, 2016. Also any amount over a few hundred dollars may be delayed pending payment from Inkshares. Proof of donation will be provided by a public posting of receipts.

Even if you can’t afford to order now, your recommendations and reviews help keep this project alive by increasing its visibility. Please follow and share. Thanks and keep reading.

message 6: by Sean Lookielook (last edited Aug 02, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Let me start by saying I knew this would happen. I've been asking Felicia and Veronica for about a year whether or not they would be either running an Inkshares contest or starting a collection that my book might be included in. I understand that they are busy and there is a tremendous amount of work involved, so I wasn't surprised that it took so long to happen. I'd gotten tired of waiting, however, and launched my project, The Zookeeper's Dilemma, last month which would make it technically ineligible for the new Geek & Sundry fantasy contest.
So, in order to be included in the new contest, I had to restart the campaign from scratch even though it meant cancelling all the pre-orders I already had.. The full reboot is necessary so that everyone in the contest is on a level playing field. It wouldn’t be fair if I started out with orders while everyone else had zero. It wasn’t an easy choice, but I think it was the right one.

So everyone please check out the book and the great new Geek And Sundry contest on Inkshares.

It occurs to me that since I have a finished draft, I could let some of you have a sneak peek at the novel. If you're interested in test driving my book, DM me on Goodreads or Twitter, or drop me a line at contact@seansandulak.com. First come, first served.

Hello, everyone. Just a quick status update. Unfortunately, the book didn’t get enough pre-orders to make the cut to be published by Inkshares. That doesn't mean it’s dead, however. This book will appear in some form, even if that means I have to do it all myself. There’s still some editing to do, but watch this space for updates in the future. Thanks to those who went to the trouble to make an order. I’ll be sure to send you all a free ebook as a reward for your support. Also, congrats to the Geek & Sundry Inkshares contest winners.

In case anyone was wondering — yes, this is still happening. I needed to let it sit for a while to come at it fresh. I'm in the middle of doing some final edits. With any luck, I should be done soon.

message 11: by Sean Lookielook (new)

I'm giving away some review copies for anyone who wants them. Just DM me your email. https://seansandulak.com/

message 12: by Sean Lookielook (last edited Jul 17, 2017 08:14AM) (new)

Team Hooman members can download a free review copy directly from the Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeamH...

message 13: by Sean Lookielook (new)

There's still time to get a free review copy. All I'm asking for is a quick review, even if that's just a (hopefully good) star rating to help promote the book. I know it's still early to expect anyone to have actually read it, but the waiting is killing me. DM me here or on Twitter @SeanSandulak for the download link.

To buy a copy, go to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073D9SH29

or my website for links to other platforms: https://seansandulak.com/the-zookeepe...