Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Law of White Spaces
This topic is about The Law of White Spaces
Book Cover Help > request to add covers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Piers (new)

Piers Spence | 5 comments I would like to upload cover images and add corrected cover copy for the various editions of this book of which I am the English translator, but my permissions do not allow this. Please help.

message 2: by Joneen (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 99 comments Hi Piers,

I just answered your post about The Green Elephant, but I'll let you know here as well - author editing permissions only apply to books for which you are the primary author. You will have to post in this group as you are doing for any changes needed, and librarians will be able to help you.

We cannot change your permissions. However, you can always apply here to be a librarian, and if the GR staff approves your application, then you will obviously have librarian permissions and can make changes yourself. Otherwise, however, you'll just need to post requests for edits in this group. :)

message 3: by Piers (new)

Piers Spence | 5 comments Thanks Joneen, so if I correct the information on Amazon (which seems to have no problem with my doing so) and then let you know, those changes will be taken up here? Is that how it works?

message 4: by Joneen (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 99 comments Yes, that's correct. Normally, authors can make edits to their own books, but this is only in the case of the primary author on the work to my knowledge. (GR staff correct me if I'm wrong?)

So for any books which you have contributed to in some way, but are not the primary on, you'll have to make requests for edits.

message 5: by Sarah - (new)

Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken (sarahbear8301) | 35 comments Just to chime in about the librarian status, this is not typically granted to authors, just an FYI.

message 6: by Joneen (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 99 comments Cool, good to know - thanks!

message 7: by Piers (new)

Piers Spence | 5 comments Thanks Sarah. I'm not interested in having librarian status per se: I'm merely concerned to ensure that the information on this site is accurate, which in the case of some of the books I have translated (and of which I am therefore the author of the English language version) is not the case.

message 8: by Sarah - (new)

Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken (sarahbear8301) | 35 comments I figured, I just wanted to make sure at least the information given was correct.

I actually am not sure how much editing privileges authors have over their own books. Authors can't change covers and have to request those here. I believe primary authors can edit other details but I'm not positive. Sorry I can't be more help in that area.

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Piers wrote: "I would like to upload cover images and add corrected cover copy for the various editions of this book of which I am the English translator, but my permissions do not allow this. Please help."

Please provide either links to the books on GR that you are the translator for or provide ASIN/ISBN's.

Also provide links to each book cover by ASIN/ISBN

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Sarah's Book Nook wrote: "I figured, I just wanted to make sure at least the information given was correct.

I actually am not sure how much editing privileges authors have over their own books. Authors can't change covers ..."

Primary authors cannot change / delete covers, add url's, or separate books.

They also cannot add series info but that is more a technical limitiation than policy limitiation