The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > Ep 155 Summer Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments 1. What do YOU plan to read this summer?

2. Which of the 10 books that we mentioned are you most interested in reading?

3. Were you the kind of kid who wanted a summer reading list, or the kind who didn't want to see a book until September?

4. Are there types of books you gravitate towards in the summer? Any you are repelled by in the summer?

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (tijgerlil) | 29 comments Hi Thomas!

Hope you had a lovely 4th of July.

I don't really have a reading list anymore. My TBR pile is well over 100 books so I've gotten to a point where all the titles have been written on little pieces of paper and are chosen randomly from a jar.
I like your recommendations but you will likely find I won't get to any of them for a while! But I either make a note, or if I see it in the store I buy it and add another piece of paper!

I did my high school in the Netherlands and honestly don't remember if we had reading lists. They would have been Dutch novels in any case and as it was a second language for me, I never really looked forward to them!
I loved reading my own books over the summer. At the time, lots of fantasy (Piers Anthony) and as I got older I went and discovered the classics of my own accord.
Wuthering Heights is still a personal favourite!

I don't tend to pick my books based on weather. I'm just as happy reading a heavy duty classic by the pool as by the fire!
It's winter here at the moment anyway, so I can't really say what my summer habits are like. I'll let you know in another 6 months!!!

message 3: by Karenna (new)

Karenna | 4 comments Hi Thomas!

I don't really have any summer-specific plans, but I would like to tackle Ulysses sometime this year. Perhaps I'll get to it this summer.

I'm most excited to read The Trouble with Goats and Sheep, but I wish the US first edition would have the same cover as the British edition with the cute goat on it.

I was the child who loved any book list and was very sad that my school rarely participated in summer reading.

I do not have any summer reading criteria. However, like Simon, when I vacation, I will typically bring and/or buy a book related to my travels.

By the way, I am one of your Texas listeners. I am close to the Austin area, so I would love to meet you if you are ever available. I also live part time in Maine, so maybe we'll bump into each other there too. Like you, I am an Anglophile who frequently prefers dead authors.

Cheers!

message 4: by ReaderSP (new)

ReaderSP This is a great thing to do for summer reads! I'd love to stumble across one of these :)

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/cul...

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (tijgerlil) | 29 comments I just thought of something I enjoy doing during these months that is VERY bookish!

In August every year the University of Western Australia hosts a book sale with all proceeds going to Save the Children. There are thousands of books and I go every year and peruse the stacks! The Friday that it begins there is always a HUGE queue and the books range from $1 - $10 dependant. Most of the books I have picked up in the past have been around the $3 - $5 mark!

It is a great walk along the Swan River (with a potential for dolphin sighting) and the weekend it is on they have a sausage sizzle. It's so much fun to be around that many book people!

message 6: by ReaderSP (new)

ReaderSP I have never even heard of this! I would love to go. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the event, thanks!

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (tijgerlil) | 29 comments ReaderSP wrote: "I have never even heard of this! I would love to go. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the event, thanks!"

It's starting on August 19th this year!

http://www.savethechildren.org.au/our...

message 8: by ReaderSP (new)

ReaderSP Awesome - thanks! Might see you there :)

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 92 comments Thomas wrote: "1. What do YOU plan to read this summer?

3. Were you the kind of kid who wanted a summer reading list, or the kind w..."

I plan to read whatever comes my way this summer. I would like to make a dent in my unread piles at home, but I am reading by whim. I do intend to read The Sympathizer.

I am very interested in all of the suggestions on the podcast. In fact, I found Mapp and Lucia on sale! I also read a sample of Boy Erased, and I am already hooked. I have been wanting to read The Trouble with Goats and Sheep every since someone stole it from me during our book exchange game at Booktopia, but it still isn't out in the U.S.

My school never gave out summer reading lists, although now as a teacher, I give them to my students! As a kid, I lived a few blocks from the library, and I would come home with as many books as I could carry.

I read everything in the summer, but I must say that for summer vacation travel, I like plot-driven books. I get easily distracted on airplanes, and a good mystery usually keeps me reading.

message 10: by Louise (last edited Jul 05, 2016 06:35AM) (new)

Louise | 154 comments When I was younger I usually brought home a pile of books from the library - that decided my Summer reading :-)

Now it's a mix of whatever challenges I'm doing and what I feel like reading/listening to.

The Booker long list will probably decide some reads, I have The Year of the Runaways already, so I might read that and I'm planning to read

The Persephone Book of Short Stories
Life of a Counterfeiter
My Struggle: Book Two: A Man in Love

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (whatlovelybooks) My only goal this summer is to read at least one book by the pool. Hopefully a book that's been sitting on my bookshelf for way too long.

I will try to read at least 2 out of the 10 books that were mentioned. My picks are "Mapp and Lucia" and "The Trouble with Goats and Sheep".

Yes, I will admit I was the dorky kid that loved the summer reading lists. But I also spent a lot of time in the library reading whatever book caught my fancy. Like the summer that I was obsessed with King Arthur!

message 12: by Liza (new)

Liza (littleinsect) | 4 comments Oh man I loved getting the summer reading list.

I think my high school had a system that struck a good balance between encouraging students to figure out what they liked to read and making them read books that had some value. Every school employee chose a book or two to add to the list, and we had free reign to choose three books from it. One of the titles was required to be a classic (though their designation of classic books was a little more flexible than I think it should have been...), but other than that we could choose anything.

This did mean that I read some books that were kind of above me, like Ishmael Reed's Yellow Back Radio Broke Down, but it also meant that I read William Maxwell's They Came Like Swallows and James Agee's A Death in the Family long before I otherwise would have. It also meant I read a bioterrorism thriller that definitely didn't have much literary value.

Anyway, here's a link to this year's list if anyone's interested: http://www.westoverschool.org/uploade...

message 13: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ As a kid, I would visit the library every week and choose books indiscriminately. I would read into the morning hours.

Now, I save heftier books for the summer. As a teacher, my days during the school year are filled with grading and it becomes difficult to read complicated books.

This summer I plan on reading some longer books off my TBR.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 64 comments Thomas wrote: "1. What do YOU plan to read this summer?
The new Annie Proulx is one I desperately want to read but need to purchase. I need to do another book speed-dating project to figure out if the books I HAVE are the books I will READ. Otherwise I continue to read by whimsy because as soon as I make a list those books are the last books I want to read. It's a curse.

Well now that I've heard of it, The Ripening Seed – Colette. I love that era for sexual awakening writings.

3. Were you the kind of kid who wanted a summer reading list, or the kind who didn't want to see a book until September?
Neither! I was the kind of kid who went to two libraries a week and spent most of my time reading or practicing piano. My school library was open once a week in the summers and that was often our one trip "to town" a week other than church. My school didn't have lists but I read voraciously all summer. My best summer reading was the months before college, because I had all these books I felt I should have read by then, and tackled many of them that summer.

4. Are there types of books you gravitate towards in the summer? Any you are repelled by in the summer?

It depends more on what I'm doing. For instance I've been spending a lot of time off the grid at my family's home in the last few years because both parents have been dealing with cancer. The first time I went there in 2014 I brought War and Peace, thinking I'll have all this time, but it turned out that I couldn't possibly focus on anything that dense. A friend mailed me a Mindy Kaling book and I read a bunch of YA, and that was about what I could handle. I just got back from this summer's trip and took predictable romances with me and they were the perfect thing.

Of course, I read Gravity's Rainbow at the beach so I don't think in general I think of summer reading as being any different than normal reading. ;)

Fun questions!

message 15: by Winter (new)

Winter (wren99) | 12 comments 1. What do YOU plan to read this summer?

Well, after hearing you mention Anita Brookner so many times, I've decided it's time I read some of her books. I went to my library and was overwhelmed by the number of books available. Where do I start?! Any suggestions?

I thought they all looked interesting, but I'll probably start with Mapp & Lucia and Up at the Villa. I figured I'd alternate one book from each list.

I wasn't given a reading list as a child, but I didn't need one. My relatives and my immediate family all lived together in a 4 unit apartments house. My cousin was a teacher and she kept our bookshelves filled with all kinds of classics as well as contemporary books. I also visited my local library several times per week. I spent most of my summers reading while sitting under the grapevine in our postage stamp sized backyard. My Uncle would read espionage books and give me his mysteries to read. We would read in companionable silence and it was fantastic. My Dad and/or Grandfather would be in the garden that took up half the tiny backyard and it was such a happy time for me. Lots of sandwiches made with homegrown tomatoes were consumed!

In the summer, I tend to gravitate towards books that are mysteries or adventures. I love books that actually take place in the summer and I like there to be travel involved.

Great questions! You got me thinking and reminiscing about happier days and loved ones who are now gone. Summer used to feel magical.

message 16: by Margie (new)

Margie 1. What do YOU plan to read this summer?

I participate in a bunch of book challenges so will continue to read books for those - plus anything else that catches my attention.

I'm picking up The Trouble With Goats and Sheep from the library this afternoon. Am on the waiting list for The Inn at Lake Devine. Would you have expected a waiting list? Maybe another The Readers listener. Looking forward to both of these!

I don't remember reading lists but was always reading. I was a child of the 70s and loved Judy Blume, The Great Brain series , All of a Kind Family, etc.

I tend to read the same sorts of books all year. However, if I'm traveling I'm thrilled if I can be reading the next book in a series I love, typically mysteries (Tana French, Susan Hill, Louise Penny).

message 17: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Karen wrote: "I wasn't given a reading list as a child, but I didn't need one. My relatives and my immediate family all lived together in a 4 unit apartments house. My cousin was a teacher and she kept our bookshelves filled with all kinds of classics as well as contemporary books. I also visited my local library several times per week. I spent most of my summers reading while sitting under the grapevine in our postage stamp sized backyard. My Uncle would read espionage books and give me his mysteries to read. We would read in companionable silence and it was fantastic. My Dad and/or Grandfather would be in the garden that took up half the tiny backyard and it was such a happy time for me. Lots of sandwiches made with homegrown tomatoes were consumed! ..."

Wow, that sounds like an idyllic childhood. You could write a children's book about it...I would read it!

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments Karen wrote: "1. What do YOU plan to read this summer?

Well, after hearing you mention Anita Brookner so many times, I've decided it's time I read some of her books. I went to my library and was overwhelmed by ..."

You can start anywhere really with Brookner, but my recent re-read of Lewis Percy suggests to me it might be a good first Brookner because it has a bit more plot than others.

message 19: by Winter (new)

Winter (wren99) | 12 comments Thomas wrote: "You can start anywhere really with Brookner, but my recent re-read of Lewis Percy suggests to me it might be a good first Brookner because it has a bit more plot than others."

Thank you for the recommendation! I will try that one first. I believe I saw it at my local library.

message 20: by Winter (new)

Winter (wren99) | 12 comments Ruthiella wrote: "Wow, that sounds like an idyllic childhood. You could write a children's book about it...I would read it!."

Thanks! I love the way I grew up. We didn't have a lot of money, but we had a lot of love. And amazing Italian food! My Mom was such a good cook. We lived in The Bronx in an Italian and Irish neighborhood. My maternal grandparents came from Italy in the late 1800s and they were so happy to become Americans. It's the part of my life that I'm fondest of and I find myself revisiting the memories more and more since most of those loved ones have passed. It would certainly be something I'd enjoy writing about!

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 28 comments 1. What do YOU plan to read this summer? Well, primarily just survive the four book clubs I'm in (three postal book clubs and 1 in person.) Otherwise I want to get caught up on some books from the most recent Booktopia - The Mirror Thief and The Unfortunates as the first two. On deck for a few of the book club books - The Girls by Emma Cline, Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg, and The Monopolists by Mary Pilon.

2. Which of the 10 books that we mentioned are you most interested in reading? I Am Charlotte Simmons - I've not yet read Wolfe; and The Trouble with Goats and Sheep - I've been wanting to read that since Simon teased us with it at Booktopia Petoskey :)

3. Were you the kind of kid who wanted a summer reading list, or the kind who didn't want to see a book until September? I LOVED the summer reading lists! I was always the kid that my mom had to limit the number of books I checked out from the library at a time. I couldn't wait to get the summer reading lists!

4. Are there types of books you gravitate towards in the summer? Any you are repelled by in the summer? I think I tend towards lighter fare in the summer - not quite the stereotypical "beach read," but certainly no heavy tomes.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 11 comments This year we are off to Scotland so I will definitely pack some tartan noir as well as the second Elena ferrante and possibly 'God in ruins' and the new Lis Salander thriller.
last year we hit the east coast of US and I recall enjoying reading 'A perfect spy' by Le Carre in the Time Square tickets queue while my wife and daughters enjoyed the sun in central park.
Of the list I haven't tried Wolfe so Charlotte Simmons would be a good place to start and I have Sinclair Lewis as a classic to try as well as revisiting Somerset Maugham who I haven't tried for many years. I definitely want to try Joanna Canon.
I don't recall reading lists as a child in UK back in the olden days but always had a book on the go however there was little in the way of fiction aimed at teenagers then so tended to move from children's fiction to grown up fairy fluidly- that being said was Alfred Hitchcock's Jupiter Jones (?) teenage fiction or am I imagining reading this American series which I've not seen since.
Generally if not crime or thrillers on hols I like to find a huge book in my pile of unread that I've been meaning to read for ages.
happy holidays to everyone.

message 23: by Margie (new)

Margie Andrew wrote: "This year we are off to Scotland so I will definitely pack some tartan noir as well as the second Elena ferrante and possibly 'God in ruins' and the new Lis Salander thriller.
last year we hit the ..."

You're right, Andrew - YA wasn't a thing years ago, you just moved into adult reading. I finished The Trouble With Goats and Sheep this weekend and really enjoyed it. Have a great trip!

message 24: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 11 comments Margie wrote: "Andrew wrote: "This year we are off to Scotland so I will definitely pack some tartan noir as well as the second Elena ferrante and possibly 'God in ruins' and the new Lis Salander thriller.
last y..."

yes as a bookworm makes me very envious of all those spoils.

message 25: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments Andrew wrote: "Alfred Hitchcock's Jupiter Jones (?) teenage fiction or am I imagining reading this American series which I've not seen since. ..."

You are not imagining it! I loved Jupiter Jones and the Three Investigator series. I think my favorite part was their secret hideout (with a phone!) at his uncle's junk yard.

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 11 comments Thomas wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Alfred Hitchcock's Jupiter Jones (?) teenage fiction or am I imagining reading this American series which I've not seen since. ..."

You are not imagining it! I loved Jupiter Jones a..."

I always liked that Jupiter regularly read the dictionary , thanks for reassuring me Thomas!

message 27: by Richard (new)

Richard | 47 comments "Thomas wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Alfred Hitchcock's Jupiter Jones (?) teenage fiction or am I imagining reading this American series which I've not seen since. ..."

You are not imagining it! I loved ..."

I loved the Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators books, too. I think I read them when I was around 11 or 12 and then moved onto The Hardy Boys.