Classical Obsessions discussion

Favorite Movie Adaptions

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Okay, here is where everyone gets to talk about their favorite movie adaptations of classics, make recommendations, rant and rage about bad adaptions, and argue (politely) about characterization, music, scenery etc.

message 2: by Elsabet (last edited Jul 04, 2016 08:56AM) (new)

Elsabet I adore Lorna Doone 2001. It is basically my favorite movie in the world...I watched it before I read the book, (I'm actually reading the book right now) and it's not particularly accurate according to the book, but it's fun anyways. It's got some really NICE costumes, which is always a plus, and plenty of action without being overly bloody. I love it! However, its a bit difficult to find.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments I've read about half of Lorna Doone, and I've also watched bits of the movie :-) I remember thinking that John Ridd didn't look at ALL like the John of the book; but Lorna was very well-cast, I thought. I'd really like to watch it all the way through sometime . . .

Some of the best movie adaptations I've ever seen are "Emma" (2009) and "Sense and Sensibility" (2008). I really, really love Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller as Emma and Mr. Knightley :-) And I know most people don't like Charity Wakefield as Marianne Dashwood, but I actually thought she did a fantastic job, and I prefer her over Kate Winslet in the 1995 movie.

Now I'm going to be SUPER HERETICAL and state that I don't like the 1995 version of "Pride and Prejudice" at all. Sorry, folks. I just can't get behind Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet--I don't think she got the character right, at all. Also, I am willing to admit that Colin Firth did an amazing job as Mr. Darcy; but he didn't LOOK like Mr. Darcy; and that Bothers Me.

I really want to see a new "Pride and Prejudice" movie in which Daisy Ridley plays Elizabeth and Richard Armitage plays Darcy. They'd be perfect together. (At least, I think so.)

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 08, 2016 07:11AM) (new)

Jessica wrote: "I've read about half of Lorna Doone, and I've also watched bits of the movie :-) I remember thinking that John Ridd didn't look at ALL like the John of the book; but Lorna was very well-cast, I tho..."

I agree at that Emma 2009 is one of the best adaptations! (I haven't seen Sense and Sensibility 2008 yet - though I'm planning to - so I can't comment on it)
I just watched Pride and Prejudice 1995!! And I liked it so much more than the '05 version. Of course.
But I just can't imagine Jennifer Ehle as Lizzy. Colin Firth is the almost perfect Mr Darcy, but Ehle as Elizabeth... just no. Why can't they find any better options?!?!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments YOU AGREE WITH ME YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. She's just not "Lizzy" to me, at all. She's so calm and good-natured and mature-seeming; which are excellent qualities to have, of course, but Lizzy Bennet just doesn't have 'em.

(Have you ever seen the "Lizzy Bennet Diaries" on YouTube? Their Lizzy was extremely good, I thought; although their Darcy was very, very far from suitable.)

If you watch S&S 08 (which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you do), just make sure to skip the first scene because it's rawther inappropriate. Nothing else inappropriate in the entire movie, though--just that first part. (And it's also not important to the plot. So you can safely skip it.)

The rest of the film is just fantastic. Edward, Elinor, Marianne, Col. Brandon, Willoughby--they're all perfectly cast and they do SUCH A GOOD JOB. And the scenery is so beautiful . . .

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 08, 2016 08:52AM) (new)

Jessica wrote: "YOU AGREE WITH ME YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. She's just not "Lizzy" to me, at all. She's so calm and good-natured and mature-seeming; which are excellent qualities to have, of course, but Lizzy Bennet ju..."

I kind of predicted that when I saw the trailer of S&S '08... Thank you from the advise! :-)

(I've seen a few episodes of the Lizzy Bennet Diaries and I didn't like it. Modernizing is not my favourite style. But I agree, the Lizzy was MUCH more better than Lizzy in P&P '95.)

message 7: by Elsabet (last edited Jul 08, 2016 09:16AM) (new)

Elsabet Jessica wrote: "YOU AGREE WITH ME YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. She's just not "Lizzy" to me, at all. She's so calm and good-natured and mature-seeming; which are excellent qualities to have, of course, but Lizzy Bennet ju..."

You don't think Lizzy is mature and calm and good natured? Why not? (I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want to know, why, in your opinion, she is not.) She seemed to be all three of those things to me. That's why she is one of my favorite heroines. She has good sense, and she isn't silly. She tries very hard to act and behave as she should, even when her parents and sisters sabotage her at every turn. It's one of the things Darcy noticed about her.

Of course, if you're basing your opinion on the P&P '05 movie, then no, she doesn't have those qualities in that movie. Not at all, but in the book I think she did.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Elsabet wrote: "Jessica wrote: "YOU AGREE WITH ME YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. She's just not "Lizzy" to me, at all. She's so calm and good-natured and mature-seeming; which are excellent qualities to have, of course, but..."

No, I'm talking about the book . . . I know different people read it differently; but to me, in the book, Lizzy just isn't a very sensible or mature character (at least, not at the beginning). She's headstrong and impulsive, and she has a tendency to say things in the heat of the moment which she later regrets. (Like with Wickham and Darcy . . . )

This doesn't make her a "bad" person, of course. She has many good qualities and she really tries to do the right thing; and she matures a lot over the course of the story. It just makes her a DIFFERENT sort of person than the character Jennifer Ehle portrayed in the '95 movie.

Like, for example, when I was watching Jennifer Ehle's performance, I literally couldn't believe that Lizzy (her character) ACTUALLY believed everything Wickham was telling her about Darcy. You see, that was a very immature thing to do; and Jennifer Ehle just acted so calm and thoughtful and "wise" in all her scenes that I totally didn't believe she was really falling for Wickham's lies. But that's not right!! In the book, Lizzy really DOES swallow everything Wickham tells her and then uses it to lash out at Darcy . . . and so when I'm watching a P&P movie, therefore, I want a Lizzy who actually seems like she's young enough and rash enough to do that.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Jessica wrote: "YOU AGREE WITH ME YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. She's just not "Lizzy" to me, at all. She's so calm and good-natured and mature-seeming; which are excellent qualities to have..."

Yes, and the Jennifer Ehle-Lizzy (as well as the Keira Knightley-Lizzy) was SMILING to Mr Darcy, which was a very big mistake. She wasn't at all that prejudiced.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Jessica wrote: "YOU AGREE WITH ME YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. She's just not "Lizzy" to me, at all. She's so calm and good-natured and mature-seeming; which are excellent q..."

Right! It's so hard to believe she REALLY dislikes him, in both films.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Jessica wrote: "YOU AGREE WITH ME YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. She's just not "Lizzy" to me, at all. She's so calm and good-natured and mature-seeming; whic..."

True! And it is so annoying!

message 12: by Elsabet (last edited Jul 08, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

Elsabet Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pretty close to the story, but I really didn't like either of the actors that portrayed Elizabeth or Darcy, but I have to admit that David Rintoul was rather good at being the stiff, proud fellow that Elizabeth hated. Come to think of it though, Elizabeth Garvie wasn't too bad. She didn't giggle maniacally like Keira Knightly, or appear to be a simpering know-it-all like Jennifer Ehle. She's not as pretty as I always think of Elizabeth Bennet as being, but she does a good job. And I liked the Bingly sisters in this one. In the other adaptations they were simply dreadful.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Elsabet wrote: "Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pretty close to the story, but I really didn't like either of the actors that portra..."

Basically, we need a new P&P movie that is REALLY REALLY GOOD, just like Emma 09 is really, really good. One that gets the story right, and the characters right, and everything else . . .

message 14: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pretty close to the story, but I really didn't like either of the ac..."

Yup...Rosamond Pike can be Jane again.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 08, 2016 11:49PM) (new)

Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pretty close to the story, but I really didn't like either of the ac..."

AHEM. But. Emma in the 2009 version had light hair.

Elsabet wrote: "Yup...Rosamond Pike can be Jane again."

YES. ;-)

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pretty close to the story, but I really didn't like ..."

But we don't know that the real Emma Woodhouse DIDN'T have light hair. All we know is that she had hazel eyes--right?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pretty close to the story, but I re..."

Oh, I always imagined her like that. Well anyway, hazel-eyes. They were BLUE in the movie so...

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pretty close to the..."

I always thought they were green in the 09 movie . . . I think it depends on what light you see them in. My eyes are like that--sometimes they're green and sometimes they're gray, depending on the light.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Precisely! I don't like either version myself. I have yet to watch a really good P&P movie. The 1980 version was pr..."

Almost like Anne's! ^^ (I know, her eye-color changed by her mood, but anyway)
You can't really tell what color my eyes are... They're like half green and half blue... With a greyish tone.