What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > mid 1970s psych/thriller. Woman processing her memories after returning home from mental institution; she might have killed someone or was possibly blamed for their death (includes spoiler...)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Jul 04, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Dan Smith | 4 comments I read this book in 1975 or 1976, it was my mother's. I was about 10 or 11, I don't remember a whole lot.

The woman returns home after being in a mental institution. Her memories are fuzzy. She either killed someone, or was blamed for the death.
Her father was sexually abusive, the mother knew of it and ignored it, blocking it out of her mind.
There was a field that the young woman spent time in, which I think had something to do with her memories, and was central to the story.
There was a young man who the woman knew from before, when they were children. He helps her to recover her memories, and deal with them.
I'm almost certain it was fiction. I have no idea who the author is.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Smith | 4 comments I don't recall it being a 'romance' novel.

It was a hardcover book with a sleeve, so I think it must have been recently published when we read it. My mother would normally wait for a paperback to come out before buying a book.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36060 comments Mod
Dan, do you learn that her father was sexually abusive early or later in the story (like a spoiler)?

Any sense of who was the person that died?

Location - U.S./country, big city/small town/region, etc.?

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Smith | 4 comments Definitely in the U.S., a small to mid size community. The field was a rural area. I am not sure if someone was killed or not, but she was sent away for something.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Smith | 4 comments The reveal of the abuse came later in the story, but it wasn't really a surprise.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36060 comments Mod
Okay. The abuse sounds like a spoiler, so I've removed it from the topic header.

message 8: by Ayshe (last edited Jun 10, 2018 12:54PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4302 comments Maybe Outrun the Dark?
This is the Kirkus review: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Dan, are you still looking for this or did you find it?