Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Monthly Author Q&A > July 2016 Monthly Q&A

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Happy July 4th to our American readers! :D Karen Kirst here. I hope you're having a fabulous holiday weekend. My family got to enjoy a picnic and fireworks last night. Today we're headed to a local waterpark for fun in the sun.
This month we have a new batch of awesome historical romances!
Tomorrow, July 5th, we'll have Christina Miller here chatting about her book, Counterfeit Courtship Counterfeit Courtship by Christina Miller .
Wednesday, July 6th, Renee Ryan will discuss her book, Stand-In Rancher Daddy Stand-In Rancher Daddy (Lone Star Cowboy League The Founding Years #1) by Renee Ryan .
And on Thursday, July 7th, Laurie Kingery will drop by to talk about her release Lawman in Disguise Lawman in Disguise (Brides of Simpson Creek, #9) by Laurie Kingery .

I hope you can all find time to stop in for fun discussions and giveaways!

message 2: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Thanks Karen. we watched fireworks last night. Today, we are having a family get together and cookout. Hope you all had a good weekend. Happy 4th of July! Belated Happy Canada Day to the Canadians ! See you tomorrow

message 3: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Happy 4th to all that celebrate it, it is so hot in Ga we seniors are staying in and watching TV or reading,no company for now. I look forward to the book chats and a new author to me is Christina Miller. that title "Counterfeit Courtship" is intriging. see ya tomorrow.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Melinda wrote: "Thanks Karen. we watched fireworks last night. Today, we are having a family get together and cookout. Hope you all had a good weekend. Happy 4th of July! Belated Happy Canada Day to the Canadians ..."

Sounds like a fun time, Melinda!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Paula-O wrote: "Happy 4th to all that celebrate it, it is so hot in Ga we seniors are staying in and watching TV or reading,no company for now. I look forward to the book chats and a new author to me is Christina ..."

Stay cool, Paula. :) We spent the day at Dollywood Splash Country. It was hot but the kids had a blast. "See" you tomorrow.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Hello everyone! Welcome to our July Q&A! Today we welcome author Christina Miller with her debut LIH. I'm looking forward to learning more about her and her journey to publication.

Counterfeit Courtship

Counterfeit Courtship by Christina Miller

Second Chance Reunion

Returning home, Confederate hero Colonel Graham Talbot faces his toughest battle yet—avoiding the marriage-minded young ladies in town vying for his attentions. With a stepmother and orphaned niece to support, the penniless soldier has no intention of marrying. Neither does the woman he once loved, his next-door neighbor Ellie Anderson. But Ellie has a proposal of her own: a pretend courtship to keep their unwanted admirers at bay.

Ellie's unpredictable childhood left her determined to safeguard her independence—and her plantation. Blaming herself for driving Graham away to war, she devises a plan to help them both. But when it goes awry, Ellie will face a choice: save her beloved property…or trust in a relationship that's becoming undeniably real.

Congratulations on your release, Christina! Can you tell us a little about yourself?

*Comment for a chance to win a copy of her book.

message 7: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Hi Christina! Congratulations on your debut novel! How exciting. I love seeing the occasional new author at LIH and can't wait to read your book. Is Civil War era going to be your thing or will you be mixing it up with time frames for other books?

message 8: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Welcome Christina!!
This book sounds great! I am excited to get to know you better! What was the best part about writing this book? :)
Hope you have a wonderful day here with us!!!

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Good morning! This is Christina Miller, but you can call me Christy. :) Thanks to Karen for inviting me to this fun group! She asked me to introduce myself and tell you a little about my writing journey. It's been long and filled with fun, meeting new friends, and learning to wait on God! I live in southern Indiana with my husband of 28 years and our dog, Sugar. Yes, Ellie's dog, Sugar, in Counterfeit Courtship is based on our own Sugar! I'm a pastor's wife, worship leader, and former RN. Believe me, writing romance novels is more fun than emptying bedpans! :)

message 10: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Christy,
Did you have to do much research to write during the Civil War Era? Is this your first published book? Looking forward to reading this.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Hi June! Thanks for dropping by! Yes, I love the Old South and the Civil War era. Although Ellie and Graham would tell us that it was really the War for Southern Independence. :) To me, that whole era is fascinating. I chose the immediate postbellum era (those following the War) for this book because in those lean years, southern families and communities had to pull together in order to survive. I admire their courage and hard work! But they had fun too, as Ellie and Graham did in Counterfeit Courtship. And I plan to write many more books set in this era! Thanks for asking!

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thank you, Melody! The absolute best part about writing my book was the research! The hubs and I had been to Natchez once before, and that trip made me want to set a book there. But while I was writing, we went back to spend a week or so at Dunleith, an antebellum mansion that is now a small hotel--and Graham's home in the book. So I wrote several chapters of Counterfeit Courtship in the parlor where the scenes were taking place. Such fun! Here is a link to Dunleith, if you'd like to take a look: http://www.dunleith.com/index.cfm.

message 13: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Christy1918 wrote: "Thank you, Melody! The absolute best part about writing my book was the research! The hubs and I had been to Natchez once before, and that trip made me want to set a book there. But while I was wri..."

How fun to actually write the chapters while sitting in that parlor. Gives a whole new feel to the book. I love connecting with authors and hearing about how the story came about, so thanks for stopping by today and letting us get to know you and your story!

message 14: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments I can't believe it's time for another Q & A! These months are going so fast! Congrats on your debut novel, Christina!

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Hi, Melinda! Yes, I did a great deal of research for this book, in Natchez, online, by calling museums, and reading books. Fortunately for me, in-person research includes touring house museums! This is a link to Ellie's house, Magnolia Hall, where I took an extensive tour: http://www.natchezpilgrimage.com/dail...
I also toured Frogmore Plantation, a working cotton plantation that was in operation during my time period:http://www.frogmoreplantation.com/
And this is Rosalie Mansion, the setting of the plantation Ellie worked to save in Counterfeit Courtship (I called it Magnolia Grove): http://rosaliemansion.com/
Rosalie was my favorite home! We plan to go back to Natchez during the Fall Pilgrimage this year and check out the private homes on the tour--and research another book!
You also asked if this is my first book. It is my first "solo" book. I also co-authored a novella with a friend, and it released in 2015.

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments June, it was such a blast! Thank you for stopping in too!

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thank you, Valri! You're right; summer is going by quickly.

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thanks, Paula-O! :)

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Christy1918 wrote: "Hi, Melinda! Yes, I did a great deal of research for this book, in Natchez, online, by calling museums, and reading books. Fortunately for me, in-person research includes touring house museums! Thi..."

I loved North and South. As a teenager, I visited the plantation near Charleston where they filmed. I'd love to go to more. Thanks for sharing these links. :)
What a wonderful opportunity to write in the place your story is set! Tell us, will any of your secondary characters in Counterfeit Courtship have books of their own?

message 20: by Britney (new)

Britney | 230 comments Hi, Christy! Congratulations on your LIH debut! Did Graham and/or Ellie surprise you in any way as you were writing their story?

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Hi, Karen! I like North and South too! And Charleston is one of my favorite cities. We have family there, so we try to visit at least once a year. No, none of the minor characters in CC will have their own stories. But you might see Ellie and Graham in another book, along with attorney Joseph Duncan and, of course, the Sugar-dog! Thanks for dropping us a line! :)

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thank you, Brittney! Actually, most of the story was a surprise to me. :) While I do construct a plot and character analysis, many details come to me as I write. So yes, they did surprise me a great deal! For example, I didn't know until the end how Ellie would overcome her greatest fear and gain her victory over villain Leonard Fitzwald. And I certainly did not anticipate the Sugar-dog helping to save Magnolia Grove! Now that I think of it, Sugar surprised me more than anyone. :) I believe our inspiration comes from God, and if we seek Him in the secret place, as Matthew 6:6 tells us, he gives us all the answers we need, even for fiction plots!

message 23: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Christy1918 wrote: "Hi, Melinda! Yes, I did a great deal of research for this book, in Natchez, online, by calling museums, and reading books. Fortunately for me, in-person research includes touring house museums! Thi..."

Christy,
Thanks for answering. I live in Mississippi now. We love to visit Natchez and Vicksburg and see everything. I have not been to the Fall Pilgrimage but everyone says it is something to go to at least once. It is a busy week there. Thanks for sharing.

message 24: by Britney (new)

Britney | 230 comments Christy1918 wrote: "Thank you, Brittney! Actually, most of the story was a surprise to me. :) While I do construct a plot and character analysis, many details come to me as I write. So yes, they did surprise me a grea..."

How fun to know Sugar surprised you the most! :) Thanks for chatting with us, Christy. I'm eager to read Counterfeit Courtship!

message 25: by Janet (last edited Jul 05, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments Christy, Congratulations on your debut! I love your premise and the title of your novel! Will be looking for it in my Walmart.

Fun that we're both Hoosiers and write for LIH. Indiana is pretty far north for southern accents but I've heard them in your area. Has that helped you write an accent for your characters?

Janet

message 26: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Busy day today, and almost forgot to stop by, good to meet you Christy and to see all the questions and answers about your story. I had wondered about the title of Counterfeit courtship now I see why. When did you start writing books? have you had other genre? LIH is one of my fav types so looking forward to reading this one.Thanks for sharing with us today.

message 27: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments What a pretty place! Thanks for the link! I am sure that was just a fabulous trip!!! :)

message 28: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Melinda, you would love the Pilgrimage! I went to the Spring Pilgrimage several years ago. It's even bigger, with more houses to tour. I loved seeing the homes that had stayed in the same family for generations. Lots of them have original furnishings, wallpaper, drapes, etc. I can't wait to go back!

message 29: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thanks, Britney! I hope you enjoy it!

message 30: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments One of our church members passed away this afternoon, so I was gone for a while as I cooked and delivered a meal to the family. I'm sorry for the delay in answering. :)

message 31: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thank you, Janet! I remember meeting you at an ACFW conference, and I loved your book Courting Miss Adeline. (Hope I got her name right.) You're right about southern Indiana's peculiar accent. It's part Southern, part hillbilly, part redneck! When I was in Bible college in Minneapolis, people up there thought I was from the deep South. Ha! I didn't do much with accents in CC, but I did use a lot of my grandmother's slang terms that are southern in origin. And when my ancestors came here from Prussia, they landed in New Orleans. I guess that's why I like the Delta area so much!

message 32: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Paula-O, I started writing books about ten years ago! And no, I don't write in other genres, just historical romance. Although while my husband and I were at a theme park yesterday, I did get an idea for a contemporary summer romance that takes place in a theme park! But if I ever do write any contemporaries, it probably won't be for a while. I live in the past, you know. :)

message 33: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments You're welcome, Melody! Glad you enjoyed it!

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (wildflowers386) | 19 comments Christy, I can't wait to read Counterfeit Courtship. The description of the book sounds wonderful. Rebecca

message 35: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Im late, I love books set during or just after the civil war. This sounds interesting. Congrats on your debut book. it may have been asked but do you have more books in the works.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Happy Wednesday everyone! Today we welcome Renee Ryan. Renee grew up in a Florida beach town where she learned how to surf and skateboard very poorly. As a teenager, she gave up on both pursuits and began entertaining herself during countless hours of "laying-out" by reading all the classics.
After graduating college, with a degree in Economics and Religion, she explored various career opportunities at a Florida theme park and a modeling agency. She moved on to teach high school Economics, American Government and Latin while coaching award-winning cheerleading teams.
Renee now writes for Amazon's Waterfall Press. For further information about Renee, check out www.ReneeRyan.com or go to her Facebook page Renee Ryan. Her Twitter handle is @ReneeRyanBooks

Stand-In Rancher Daddy

Stand-In Rancher Daddy (Lone Star Cowboy League The Founding Years #1) by Renee Ryan

Suddenly a Father

Rancher CJ Thorn isn't ready to graduate from uncle to brand-new daddy—but he has no choice. After his widowed brother runs off, a pair of adorable twins have no one but CJ…and lovely neighbor Molly Langley. She's helped with the girls for so long that she's almost part of the family. Almost. CJ knows his family isn't good enough for her. Not when his brother's actions have disgraced the Thorn name yet again.

Watching CJ become a devoted father would soften any woman's heart. Yet Molly must remain immune. CJ deserves more than a woman who can't have children. Held back by fear, it'll take a disaster forcing the community together before they're ready to risk a chance on happiness.

Thanks for joining us, Renee! This book is the first in a continuity series, right? What are the unique challenges of writing a series with other authors?

*Comment for a chance to win Renee's new release!

message 37: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments Christy1918 wrote: "Thank you, Janet! I remember meeting you at an ACFW conference, and I loved your book Courting Miss Adeline. (Hope I got her name right.) You're right about southern Indiana's peculiar accent. It's..."

Christy, I love all those quirky slang terms that add fun to historical novels.

Delighted you enjoyed my debut. Are you going to ACFW this year?

Janet

message 38: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments I'm sorry to be late for your day, Christy. Congratulations on the release of your debut novel! I'm thrilled that you're part of the LIH family.

message 39: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Hi, Renee! You know I'm a big fan of your stories. I look forward to reading this one as well as your other new release from WP.

My question doesn't have anything to do with writing. Something in your intro caught me. I wonder if that amusement park you mentioned happens to be related to one in my home state of California. If so, did you ever get to portray one of the characters? I can so see you as Snow White. =)

message 40: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Janet, I love them too! And believe me, Grandma had plenty of them for me to draw from! :) Yes, I am registered for ACFW and the LI night as well. Will I see you there?

message 41: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thank you, Keli! No, my amusement park, Holiday World, is here in southern Indiana. It's a big deal around here, with its world-class roller coasters, free soft drinks and sunscreen, and it is clean! The water park is huge too. Here's the link: http://www.holidayworld.com/

message 42: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments Thank you, Rebecca! I hope you enjoy it! :)

message 43: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments AusJenny, thank you! Yes, I'm working on another book set in Natchez in the same time period. And have several ideas for more! I love this era too and hope to write a lot more books set then! Thanks for stopping in! :)

message 44: by Christina (new)

Christina Miller | 43 comments OOPS! I apologize for my mistake. I thought Keli was asking me about the amusement park I talked about yesterday. (Slinking away with red face)

message 45: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Renee, I forgot that this continuity was being done! i loved the present day continuity series! I can't wait to check out the historical! Thanks for sharing your talents!

message 46: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Renee, good morning , always happy to see your face pop up in this group to chat...A man with a heart for children is a book to read. I am pulling for the neighbor, Molly to make CJ change his mind on how much he needs her with them. Like that this is series with other authors helping, they always read great. How does this come about, does publisher put you together or do you choose yourselves to write a story together? and the story who chooses what the story will be about?

message 47: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Glad to have you join us, Christy!

message 48: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Christy1918 wrote: "Melinda, you would love the Pilgrimage! I went to the Spring Pilgrimage several years ago. It's even bigger, with more houses to tour. I loved seeing the homes that had stayed in the same family fo..."

It is on my to do list. I love visiting the houses. we stayed at the old hotel that they have tried to keep with the time period.

message 49: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Renee, that's way cool! I'm sure you made a great Snow White. I told my daughter, who is a huge Disney fan, about your job. She wants to know if you whistle while you write now.

message 50: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Renee,
I know when I see your name on a book that I will love it. Do we get to know why CJ's brother runs away in the book?
I am enjoying the Lone Star Cowboy League continuity series that is contemporary series so I am interested how the historical series will fit in.
Did you get handed the story fo Cj and told that it will be the first part of the series? How did you, communicate with Louise Gouge and Regina Scott about the story?

« previous 1