Classical Obsessions discussion

Little House on the Prairie

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Any Little House-fans here?
Have you read the books and if you have, which is your favourite?
Have you watched the series?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments I've read all the books and I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. They were some of the first full-length chapter books I read, way back when I was 6 or 7.

My favorite is definitely "The Long Winter."

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2016 06:43AM) (new)

Jessica wrote: "I've read all the books and I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. They were some of the first full-length chapter books I read, way back when I was 6 or 7.

My favorite is definitely "The Long Winter.""

They were some of the first "long books" I read too!
And I love the series also, even though they're not loyal to the books. I sort of grew up with them and forced my parents to buy every new season from the store :-)

message 4: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) I've read all the books, most of them two or three or four times over! ;D I LOVE them, they are one of my all-time favorite series. And I think I've seen well over half the 10 film seasons; even though they are only based very loosely on the books they are still wonderful stories on their own!

message 5: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet I adore the books and own a set that is older than my grandma. I do not particularly like the tv series though. If I had been introduced to it when I was little I probably would have liked it alright, but I never saw it until I was twelve, and now there is just about nothing that I view with such disdain as that tv series. Oh! They ruined pa!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Elsabet wrote: "I adore the books and own a set that is older than my grandma. I do not particularly like the tv series though. If I had been introduced to it when I was little I probably would have liked it alrig..."

And ma also... But I've stopped thinking about them as an adaptation of the books. I've seen each episode (+ the pilot) at least twice and I still love them so much!

message 7: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Felicity wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "I adore the books and own a set that is older than my grandma. I do not particularly like the tv series though. If I had been introduced to it when I was little I probably would hav..."

Yeah, I get that. Its the same with me and the BBC Sherlock. I like it, but I have to think of it as it's own thing, not as a Sherlock Holmes retelling.
Yes, I was utterly disappointed with ma as well. :(

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments I've never tried the TV series. I can be kind of a fanatic about book-accuracy sometimes . . . especially when it's a book I really, really love . . . so I figure it's better if I skip them.

Did anybody else have a huge childhood crush on Cap Garland? *raises hand*

message 9: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet I've never had book crushes, not really, but you know what always made me mad? The fact that Mary Power and Cap never got married. I shipped them so hard when I was an itty-bitty eight year old. So hard.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Elsabet wrote: "I've never had book crushes, not really, but you know what always made me mad? The fact that Mary Power and Cap never got married. I shipped them so hard when I was an itty-bitty eight year old. So..."

I SHIPPED THEM TOO. And they never got married, and I am Not Happy, Bob. Not happy.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2016 11:11PM) (new)

Funny, I don't remember that at all... It's been awhile (4 years?!) since I re-read the books. Maybe it's time again.

message 12: by Elline Pelline (new)

Elline Pelline | 46 comments Mod
I've never heard about it... Recommended?

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Miss ℰlaine ℭarringtion wrote: "I've never heard about it... Recommended?"

Wait--you mean you've never read the "Little House" series? By Laura Ingalls Wilder?

YOU MUST SURELY READ THEM RIGHT AWAY. PLEASE. FOR MY SAKE. (Not kidding.)

They're amazing, beautiful, classic stories about life in the American West in the 1800s. The author based them on her own childhood, but they aren't "memoirs," they're actual novels. And they are soooooooooooooo good!!!! If you like "Anne of Green Gables" (and I know you do :-) ) you'd really love these.

message 14: by Elline Pelline (new)

Elline Pelline | 46 comments Mod
Well, I'll have to look it up then :-D

message 15: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 10 comments I need to reread the series-I barely remember Cap, but now that you've said his name I do remember crushing on him!

Those were my first big-girl books I read by myself! I loved the Long Winter and Little House on the Town-oh yes, and the Big Woods. I would reread that one and get creeped out over the cougar that chased her grandpa through the woods.:)

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Bookworm wrote: "I need to reread the series-I barely remember Cap, but now that you've said his name I do remember crushing on him!

Those were my first big-girl books I read by myself! I loved the Long Winter an..."

Same for me--actually, when I read the "Little House" stories in first or second grade, our school librarians wouldn't let me borrow them because they said I was "too young" for such long chapter books!!! So my mother took me to the public library and I borrowed the series from there instead :-)