Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Author Corner > Covers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P.D.R. (last edited Jul 16, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments I need your input oh great and helpful Kiwi readers.

I am stuck for a cover for Bittersweet.
Dear Dawn no longer does covers, much to my distress.
I have been hunting up people but can't find a cover artist who can come up with a cover which has to say:
19thC India,
hint at sexuality
and too much male 'passion'.

Anyone got any ideas eihter for the cover or who could do one as clever as Dawn's Tizzie cover.
Hint at the British Raj
readers need to see it's historical, Indian 19thc and get some hint of immoral unwanted sexual deeds.

message 2: by Kiri Fiona (new)

Kiri Fiona (kirifiona) | 2 comments What about a classic Indian backdrop (either a landscape like the shore of the Yamuna or Ganges rivers, or a recognizably Indian temple/palace) all sort of faded into the background, with a man's hand sort of superimposed over the top, gripping a sheet... or someone elses hand in a passionate way?

I can see it in my head but it's hard to describe :)

message 3: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Useful thoughts, Kiri, thank you.

As you suggest an Indian landscape backdrop is a good clue to the reader. But I want to avoid the Taj as it was a shrine of love and would send the wrong message.

It's that sense of sexuality, but nothing erotic which is hard to achieve. It's more threat and warning I need on the cover as the story deals with rape and after effects. I will experiment with a large masculine hand and a tiny female one and see if I can get threat in the body language.

Thank you for the suggestions.

message 4: by Kiri Fiona (new)

Kiri Fiona (kirifiona) | 2 comments Ah - I misunderstood, I was going for erotica. If you want threatening, maybe a hand is not the right way to go... IMHO hands represent intimacy. Maybe play around with silhouettes - a man towering over someone much smaller, or shadowed in the background.

Ideally, if you could find such an image - an image of a young 19th century girl crouching down in a dusty Indian road or landscape (or whatever would tie in with your themes), with a large, faded silhouette of a man layered behind it?

Hopefully this comment bumps you up to the top so you can get some more good ideas :)

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 178 comments http://bookhippo.uk/coversForSale.php

The link says it all. Well worth a look.

message 6: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Yes, sounds interesting, looks good but I cannot find anywhere where it says 'Yes this cover is now yours and yours only.'

I do not want to see my cover on another book and this does happen buying some premade covers.

Nice art work though, a lot better than many of the cover sites.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 178 comments I know (cyber know) some of the designers and they'd make sure it was only for you, if you ask them ever so nicely. ;o)

I'll ask Katie W. Stewart for you.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 178 comments http://www.magicowldesign.com/

That's her website. I've spoken to her and she says no she doesn't resell them. If you choose one, it'll be yours and yours alone. She'll also tweak things to your liking, I think. Or maybe even design to your direction.

message 9: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments That's very kind of you, Anna. I will take a look.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 178 comments You're welcome. I hope it works for you. It's always good to find a short cut.

message 11: by P.D.R. (last edited Jul 21, 2016 11:09PM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Saved! My usual genius cover designer has emerged from her problems and produced a fantastic cover both e and full book covers!! Wow! And so quickly.

"What would you like?" she asked

I muttered as I did above and she came right back within a day with mock ups.

However I am so grateful for all your help and have stored magiccowl's address for myself and students.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1480 comments I've only just looked at anything on this thread, p.d.r. Glad you've got the person you'd hoped for and some suggestions.
It must be that last difficult task to get a cover just exactly right!

message 13: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Aren't you a sweetie! Thank you.

message 14: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments I'm trying to add a photo of my Bittersweet cover. I can't do it. How do I do it? Anyone know. I've tried copy and paste and it won't work.

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1480 comments P.D.R. wrote: "I'm trying to add a photo of my Bittersweet cover. I can't do it. How do I do it? Anyone know. I've tried copy and paste and it won't work."

Are you a Goodreads Librarian? You've got to go into the Edit for the book, and the Add Cover Image is over on the top right, then you upload from where you have the jpeg saved on your computer.

I can't find Bittersweet listed here.

message 16: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Nope. 'Bittersweet' is not published yet. It will be going up at GR as an announcement for a new novel due out in November. I want to put the cover up here for you all to make rude remarks about.