Fans of British Writers discussion

General Discussions > British Children's Literature

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments I really enjoy reading children's literature and want to ensure that the authors of children's literature are given a special thread of their own. Some authors have been mentioned in other postings, but others have yet to be mentioned.

Some of my favourite books as a young reader were the Mary Poppins books, the Doctor Dolittle series and the Enid Blyton Adventure series of books.
I didn't read A Secret Garden or the Noel Streatfield books until I was an adult and mother of two girls.
Do any of you have childhood favourites, or current favourites as well? I am always looking for new authors to discover and enjoy.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ I have a lot of children's favourites!

I'm on the lookout for a particular favourite Miss Happiness and Miss Flower by Rumer Godden

The childhood book that translated the best as an adult read was Alice In Wonderland Through The Looking Glass by Lyle Abercrombie

The British author I discovered through my children & really, really loved was Jill Murphy (although I will always be grateful to JK Rowling for getting my stubborn kids to read)

Like Rosemarie I came to The secret Garden as an adult & after seeing the film. Amazing film, amazing book.

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments Rumer Godden was a talented author who wrote entertaining novels and delightful children's books.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments I, too, only discovered The Secret Garden as an adult. And, actually, I did not read it but listened to it on Audible. Then I bought the book

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Try Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt. She has also written Across Five Aprils, a civil war book which has won awards. However, Up a Road is my favorite of all young adult novels (upper elementary and jr. high age).

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Rosemarie wrote: "Rumer Godden was a talented author who wrote entertaining novels and delightful children's books."

This person wrote a short story called The Mousewife. It can be read as a children's tale, about 3rd grade reading level. However, it can also be an adult feminist story. It is delightful and thought-provoking, but not your typical happy children's tale.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments I have not read anything by Irene Hunt. I will look for her books at the library, thanks for the info about her.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments I just finished Josephine Tey's Miss Pym Disposes and I would love to chat with someone about the ending. But not publicly, because I would have to give away the plot to talk about it.

message 9: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 75 comments I grew up with a lot of classic British children's authors, such as Enid Blyton, Ursula Moray Williams and Arthur Ransome, with Kipling's The Jungle Book and Just So Stories as well as wonderful books such as A Dog So Small and Jennie. Not to forget The Hobbit.

But the author who probably shaped my love for fantasy and science-fiction above all others was Joan Aiken. Admittedly she had one American and one Canadian parent, but she was born, lived (mostly) and wrote in Sussex, England.

I would also do a shout out for the author who was writing about schools for children with magic ability long before Harry Potter came on the scene - Jill Murphy who wrote (and is probably still writing) the excellent The Worst Witch series.

message 10: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 75 comments Oooops - I clean forgot Dodie Smith!

I absolutely loved (and still love) 101 Dalmatians and the just as brilliant but lesser known sequel The Starlight Barking.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments Did Dodie Smith write I Capture the Castle? I enjoyed that even though it is more for teen readers.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane Rosemarie wrote: "I have not read anything by Irene Hunt. I will look for her books at the library, thanks for the info about her."

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that she was British. But she is a great young adult fiction writer.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments I will look for her because I like children's books in general. They are often better written and more thoughtful, or more fun, than some adult fiction.

message 14: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 75 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Did Dodie Smith write I Capture the Castle?"

She did indeed - It was her first novel and I believe she wrote it when she was living in the US during WW2 (her hubby was also British and a conscientious objector). I have not yet read it - I must do so. Thanks for flagging it up Rosemarie.

Also I just thought that Watership Down by Richard Adams should be included here - one of the most powerful children's books ever written IMO.

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments I need to revisit Watership Down. This is by far his best book. The Plague Dogs was very moving, but much sadder in parts.

message 16: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I too love Children's literature and read at least one a month. As a child I had access to a good library and read my way through series of books and standalones. Ones I remember the most are the books by E Nesbit, Five Children and It Mary Norton The Borrowers The Narnia Chronicles by C S Lewis, the books by Noel Steatfeild, Charlotte's Web Manxmouse Swallows and Amazons series, Mary Poppins series, The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures The Silver Sword Susannah of the Mounties The Glassblower's Children books by Nina Bawden, Phillipa Pearce, Helen Cresswell, Alfred Duggan, Rosemary Sutcliffe...I could go on and on. I had a wonderful childhood in terms of books.

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Oh yes, Charlotte Sometimes The Diddakoi The Green Knowe series by L M Boston, Half Magic and others by Edward Eager, John Diamond and others by Leon Garfield,

message 18: by InkaLill (last edited Jul 28, 2016 02:13AM) (new)

InkaLill | 10 comments I read a book in my childhood about a girl growing up in Australia. The book told about her animals and especially of her wild dog, Dingo. It was very well written, describing the nature and living in Australia. Like the Harry Potter books, it is the very best way to learn to love a country or a people as a youngster. You are on the "inside" of the culture. Stories let you look through the eyes of others.

message 19: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments Have any of you read The Wind on the Moon by Eric Linklater? I read the book as a chapter bedtime story to my daughters when they were much younger ( they're both moms now), and we all enjoyed it. It is an original fantasy story, with a cast of wonderful characters.