Play Book Tag discussion

The Old Man and the Sea
This topic is about The Old Man and the Sea
Archive: Other Books > The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2305 comments Most readers, and high school English students, already know the plot of The Old Man and the Sea. Santiago is an old man, and many are starting to think that he can no longer fish. He has gone for months without landing any kind of fish and has lost his apprentice to another fishing crew. He sets out into the open sea and goes a little further out than he normally would in his desire to catch a fish. Finally, he snags a huge marlin and spends three days and nights in the sea, battling the fish.

The Old Man and the Sea is a short novel and is much simpler than many of Hemingway's other books. Maybe because of its brevity, it's considered one of his finest works. The characters are minimal so he had a chance to show what a skillful writer he was. Hemingway excels in describing the tension of the old man's dogged determination, the magnificence of the great marlin and the beauty of days and nights alone on the sea. This unvarnished style lets him tell a story of simple bravery.

The Old Man and the Sea was the last major book Hemingway wrote, and it led to his receiving the Pulitzer Prize in 1953 and the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1954. I urge you to read this short book and discover one of the greatest works in American literature.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I have never read this, or any Hemingway. I think I should!

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 513 comments One of my favorite books and a great reminder that powerful writing can be done in simple sentences. An amazing little book!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6272 comments I first read this in junior high and it made me a Hemingway fan. I think he really excelled in the short-story / novella format. His longer works are not so compelling (IMHO).

message 5: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7349 comments I liked this a great deal when in high school and again in the past few years!

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Great book. Now, I kinda want to revisit it!