Chat, Eat, and Read discussion

The Pull Of The Moon

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
Our book starting today! It looks interesting and can't wait to read it.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

I just started the book and I like how the letters to her husband tell a story. Good book so far and a quick read.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

I am about half way through. It is interesting how she reflects on her life. It seems a bit dated. That would be my only complaint. It was funny how she and her husband talked about past lovers and did not portray them in a good light. Haha.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Is Nan in the middle of a breakdown?

message 5: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
I really like how Nan just "runs away" and finds independence.

The way she describes marriage and how she would act in different situations versus how Martin would act is very real. I feel like I'm reading non-fiction about a story that is really telling the story of so many married couples.

Aside from "The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted," this Elizabeth Berg is so different than every other one of her books that I have read. I enjoy the story so far, but I prefer her usual format over this one.

message 6: by Lilith (new)

Oh my!! How Nan mouthed off to the manager at the beauty parlor! That scene was so well written and described, I could just feel the silent stares and astonishment from all of the customers and employees!

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Oh yes that was funny. I liked how Nan talked about her daughter,

message 8: by Lilith (new)

I wished that at the end of the book, Nan had decided to get a divorce, move far away, be single and make a life for herself. I thought it was leading up to that, the way she was talking about Martin and his passive behaviour.

Despite that, I liked another aspect of the end...how Nan articulates aging so well, how she really comes to terms with it.

In reference to when she says "I'm so eager to see you, Martin. Perhaps we'll see eachother" the double entendre is interesting. I didn't get the sense that she really felt like how they were together was okay and that his behaviour was acceptable. Yet, here she was rushing back home to be with him. And I guess she thought maybe her being away would give him time to think and realize things, which maybe would be the case. But it's her who ran away for a reason. And when she goes home, she'll most likely have the same feelings as before she left, even if she tries to think about them a little differently.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "I wished that at the end of the book, Nan had decided to get a divorce, move far away, be single and make a life for herself. I thought it was leading up to that, the way she was talking about Mart..."

After I hit page 100 all I wanted to know is if she went back home. Perhaps she felt since she had never really worked she was dependent upon Martin. I loved the character of Nan. She just seemed a bit eccentric in how she interacted with people.