YA Fiction Books, Readers, Writers, and Reviewers discussion

Book Club > THE CONSPIRACY OF US July BOTM

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.H. (new)

L.H. Nicole | 67 comments Mod
Sorry, for the delay, still in the middle of my cross country move! We have a winner for this month's book and it is THE CONSPIRACY OF US by Maggie Hall.
Head out, find your copy and get to reading!
As you are reading, or finish, what ever you choose, go ahead and start posting your thoughts here :)
~LH

message 2: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Henry (gmhenry) | 13 comments Nice! Thanks!

Greg

message 3: by L.H. (new)

So who has gotten into this one yet? I have a bit of spare time today I plan on devoting to it. I'm really interested because I love stories like this!
Anyone have an thought yet at all?
I LOVE the cover!
~LH

message 4: by Brookie (new)

Brookie Cowles | 13 comments I've read it twice!

message 5: by L.H. (new)

Brookie wrote: "I've read it twice!"

WOW! I guess that means you liked it :)

message 6: by Brookie (new)

Brookie Cowles | 13 comments I enjoyed it. I actually listened to the audio book each time and I like the reader and the story. And book 2 just came out so I had to listen to it again before the second book :)

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (gilchristiff) | 7 comments I just completed the book, I loved it!! I need to start book 2 now but I'm still not sure what team I'm on yet (Jack or Stellan) :0 Great recommendation.

message 8: by Brookie (new)

Brookie Cowles | 13 comments Yay Tiffany! I loved it too! And I won't tell you who's team I'm on but I will tell you I loved book 2 in terms of relationship :) I like book one better but I'd love to hear what you think of book 2 when you finish that too

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (gilchristiff) | 7 comments Brookie wrote: "Yay Tiffany! I loved it too! And I won't tell you who's team I'm on but I will tell you I loved book 2 in terms of relationship :) I like book one better but I'd love to hear what you think of book..."

I'm so behind on my reading but I really hope to get to book 2 next, it just bumped it to the top of my list lol.

message 10: by L.H. (new)

I am half way through the book, I got held back with work, but I am loving it so much! I will also cast my vote for which team I am on after I finish it!
~LH

message 11: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Hawthorne | 82 comments I'm about halfway through, myself.
I love the cover. A little retro, eye-catching, exciting ... does anyone else think the girl in the beautiful dress looks like Shailene Woodley?

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Hawthorne | 82 comments Finished! I liked it. Kate described it as National Treasure crossed with something else; I'd go along with that.

Thoughts:

(1) I felt the author's careful attention to the heroine's emotional development really paid off. We were with Avery every step of the way, which kept me involved in the story.

(2) Sometimes YA heroines feel older than their age. Avery really felt like a 16-year-old girl to me--a nice bit of realism in this glitzy thriller.

(3) Great use of what screenwriter Blake Snyder called "Pope in the pool": exposition was typically handled in some fabulous or exciting situation. (Example: discussion of the prophecy while zooming through Istanbul on the back of Jack's motorcycle.)

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts!

message 13: by Brookie (new)

Brookie Cowles | 13 comments I loved your thoughts Peggy. I agree with how well the author stayed with Avery. I felt like I understood her thoughts and feelings the whole book.

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Hawthorne | 82 comments Brookie wrote: "I loved your thoughts Peggy..."

Thanks, Brookie!

What did you think of the glitz element? (Paris, Prada, celebrities, etc.) Is that a big draw in YA, do you think?

message 15: by L.H. (new)

Peggy wrote: "Brookie wrote: "I loved your thoughts Peggy..."

Thanks, Brookie!

What did you think of the glitz element? (Paris, Prada, celebrities, etc.) Is that a big draw in YA, do you think?"

I personally loved the glitz elements, and I am glad it's coming into "fashion" but I also hope that authors will balance that with real life dangers. Sometimes I thin readers, especially young readers can get glossy eyed and think everything is just like the book, without realizing something is real life.

message 16: by L.H. (new)

I'm almost done, what do we think for final thoughts? I LOVE this book, and I want to read the second as soon as I get through the 2 books I'm editing right now.
Maybe when those of us who liked the book are ready, we can read the second, as an extra BOTM?
What do you guys think?
~LH

message 17: by Brookie (new)

Brookie Cowles | 13 comments I read the second earlier this year and I'm dying to talk about it with people

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (gilchristiff) | 7 comments L.H. wrote: "I'm almost done, what do we think for final thoughts? I LOVE this book, and I want to read the second as soon as I get through the 2 books I'm editing right now.
Maybe when those of us who liked t..."

I'm all for that!!!

message 19: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Hawthorne | 82 comments For the folks who really loved this one: what made it stand out for you? What were the best elements of the book?

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate Dane | 20 comments For me, the heroine was a bit on the self-centered side. I can offer examples, but I don't want to spoil. That did feel very teen-aged, but more on the level of a teen who hasn't had to deal with real life than a mature teen. I did like the two guys and the way the heroine was active in solving things and facing down her fears.

message 21: by Brookie (new)

Brookie Cowles | 13 comments I loved the heroine also because she makes stupid decisions. At some points I'm like, really, who would do that? For example when she gets on all the airplanes and just leaves. I can't imagine my 16 yr old brother thinking that would be ok in any way. But it makes for a good story. I also love Jack and Stellan. They are capable, suave, and charming in their own ways and I think they are some of my favorite book boys. I also think the book is a very underrated book and should get more air time so more people will read it. :)

message 22: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Hawthorne | 82 comments Brookie wrote: "I loved the heroine also because she makes stupid decisions. At some points I'm like, really, who would do that? For example when she gets on all the airplanes and just leaves. I can't imagine my 1..."

Great comments, Brookie!
I enjoyed the budding love triangle, too. When was it that love triangles became such a big thing in YA? It helps to build a series, for sure.

message 23: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Hawthorne | 82 comments Looks like we had five readers this month. Four like or love and one mixed review. Consensus positive!

YA Fiction Books, Readers, Writers, and Reviewers

unread topics | mark unread