CanadianContent discussion

Book Lists > CBC 100 Books that Make You Proud to be CDN

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3562 comments Mod
I thought that I would add this link to keep it handy for those of us working through this list: http://www.cbc.ca/books/books100.html

message 2: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments I recently finished By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept by Elizabeth Smart and loved it! The prose is beautiful and incredibly powerful. I'm planning on reading it again because it took me a little while to figure out the plot and I probably missed a bunch of stuff at the beginning.

That being said, I probably would only recommend this book to select people due to the prose. I loved the flowing metaphorical language with tones of references but I tend to read a lot of poetry so I didn't find the language that difficult or off-putting.

It's a very short, beautiful read though and I highly recommend people check it out if they're interested.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments I read By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept a number of years ago and then reread it appreciating the poetic prose more the second time.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ I've only read three of the books. I do have Ru but I don't think I'll get to it till next year.

I'll just mention that "over here" Eleanor Catton is considered a Kiwi! :p

message 5: by ❀ Susan (new)

I have not read By Grand Central Station.... but am working my way through this list slowly. Carol - you might want to move Ru up on your list. It is a fantastic (and quick) read!! I have started Come, Thou Tortoise but have taken a little break to read some Alice Munro in time for her 85th birthday.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I thought that I would add this link to keep it handy for those of us working through this list: http://www.cbc.ca/books/books100.html"

Thank you for the link. I took the quiz to see how many I had read and found I had read 26, so I am encouraged to see how many more I can read this year.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara Thompson (lrthomps) I've read 15!
I also read By Grand Central Station.... years ago and loved it, appreciating the prose especially. I'd be curious to read it again to see what I make of it now.
I finished Ru recently and loved the prose. It's not so much a novel as a collection of vignettes I must assume come from real life.
Essex County was extremely powerful. I can highly recommend it even if you don't think you're into 'comics'. (For Skim, I don't give the same recommendation).
Elizabeth and After I read years ago and even though I've forgotten entirely what it was about I remember loving it immensely.
Tigana may be the best epic fantasy I've ever read.

I intend to read Bear soon if only to see how a relationship with a bear can possibly be portrayed. And I can't believe I _haven't_ read Neuromancer yet (given that I've met the author -- nice old man -- and love sci fi/dystopian novels).

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments I've read 7 so far, but two more are on my nightstand, and one is headed my way in the next couple of days as an e-Book. It's time for me to read more ambitiously!

message 9: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments I've now read 18 from the list, and I just got Indian Horse from the library :)

message 10: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments I picked up "Indian Horse" today, @May. And I got "A Fine Balance" and "Ru" as eBooks today.

message 11: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Natasha, I absolutely LOVED A Fine Balance!!

message 12: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 590 comments I've read 14, this is a great list that fuels my drive to keep reading wonderful stories from our fantastic nation of writers.

message 13: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Jul 06, 2016 07:37PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ ❀ Susan wrote: "I have not read By Grand Central Station.... but am working my way through this list slowly. Carol - you might want to move Ru up on your list. It is a fantastic (and quick) read!! I have started [..."

Problem is I am a volunteer at a charity shop. A perk of the job is that I can take the books home to read. We are really short of paperbacks in good condition, so I need to get them read & back. Ru is in grubby condition so there isn't such a rush! :)

message 14: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 415 comments I have read 27 from the list, and hope to get 5 or 6 more by the end of the year. It is one of my go to places to get reading ideas.
So happy this group is going to read books form this list!

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments I have read 27 also, and started one that I ultimately gave up on -- does that count?! Heehee...

I own several of the others. I need to quit work and read!

message 16: by ❀ Susan (new)

too funny - i am at 27 also!! I too have a few in my TBR pile and wish that reading could be my job!!!

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments Makes you wonder if they're the same 27....! :)

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

lol - which one did you give up on?

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments Oh, I hate to admit it because many people loved it and told me to keep going. But I just decided life was too short for the last half of Tale for the Time Being.

... Ducking now.....

message 20: by ❀ Susan (new)

no judging here!! i really liked it but one of my good friends couldn't finish it... to each their own!!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments @Allison, I hear ya!

I liked A TALE FOR THE TIME BEING in the end, but it did get slow for a while there.

message 22: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments i adored a tale for the time being...not right away, but almost a third into it I had a great aha moment and adjusted my pace,actually backtracked a bit until I really got in to the rhythm of the book. I do have to remind myself to slow down and savor; if I go to fast I will miss more than I gain.

message 23: by ❀ Susan (new)

Adding The Complete Essex County to my list today = 28. Not a big graphic novel fan but glad to finish this for the bingo challenge!

message 24: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I have started Come, Thou Tortoise but have taken a little break to read some Alice Munro in time for her 85th birthday..."

I loved that book so much. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Allison wrote: "Oh, I hate to admit it because many people loved it and told me to keep going. But I just decided life was too short for the last half of Tale for the Time Being.

... Ducking now....."

Allison, I have heard from a few people that didn't like it. I thought it was just okay but I don't think it's a book for everyone.

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I have read 62 and there are 12 more on my TBR pile.

message 27: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 590 comments @ Louise- Fantastic! You are a true Canadian literature lover and I aspire to read the volumes you do, very commendable!

I went through the list again and was pleased to discover in my search that our local library carries 90% of these titles. So I guess I have started a new summer goal today, grabbed The Antagonist and will plug away at some of these wonderful reads.

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I have had The Antagonist on my ereader forever and still have not read it :-(

message 29: by ❀ Susan (new)

I found The Antagonist at the library today along with Certainty. I also need to get to Mercy Among the Children soon.

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments I've read 20 counting the one I'm reading now, and counting one I think I read many years ago. There are a few on my TBR list as well and I know as soon as i look into the list further, there will be more added!

message 31: by ❀ Susan (new)

Great finds today at the Sally Ann - Obasan for 75 cents and a hard cover of The Luminaries for $2.99. My TBR pile grows!

message 32: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 590 comments @Susan- Great finds you have made this weekend! Wish I had a 2nd hand store near me that offered such bargain books! Well done! Feels like winning a lottery :)

message 33: by ❀ Susan (new)

I know and it is great to find books for my little free library too! Sometimes I find it hard to leave behind a good deal even if I have a copy so I pick up for friends.

message 34: by ❀ Susan (new)

I just finished Obasan - it is yet another book that high school students should read. it is semi-autobiographical fiction about the author's experience being removed from Vancouver and interned with her Japanese Canadian family during WW2. https://ayearofbooksblog.com/2016/07/...

message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I did not too bad, I have read 32 out of 100. There are ton on here on my TBR list. Why can't pleasure reading be a paying gig??

message 36: by Barbara (last edited Jul 21, 2016 09:51AM) (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 215 comments You guys are great! I think my last count was 17. I have a lot sitting at home waiting to be read. Not enough hours in the day, lol.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments In the July read Canadian challenge I have been able to read 4 more of the 100 books: Ru, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, Forty Words for Sorrow, and Indian Horse. As well, Mercy Among the Children is on the 100 list. Without the challenge I might have put off til that 'tomorrow' to read them. I am planning to use 3 more of the 100 for the August acronym. Fun!!
I too wish that reading could provide us with a living. Reading does, however, give us a great life.

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Every once in a while, I go through my TBR list on Goodreads and place a bunch of holds at the library, then the start to trickle in and I'm not left without a book to read....usually. Sometimes this totally backfires on me and I have about 6 books to read in 2 weeks. ha!

message 39: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Megan - I totally agree, would be so nice to have reading as my job!! i am laughing as I went to the library today and came home with more book form the list than I can likely reasonably read.

I just fnished Mercy Among the Children for # 31 and am about half way through The Antagonist. I am enjoying the challenges which motivate me to read more from the list!

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 740 comments I just picked up The Complete Essex County at the library. Looking forward to it.

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan | 740 comments I just read Jeff Lemire's author bio and discovered that Essex County was a Canada Reads finalist. I have no memory of this but it's an unexpected bonus since I haven't yet filled the Canada Reads bingo square!

message 42: by ❀ Susan (new)

Has anyone read Bear? I have to say that it was one of the most bizarre books that i have ever read and I am struggling that it is on this list. I can't say it makes me proud to be canadian!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments I was planning Bear for the classic CanLit bingo square this year. Maybe I need to rethink that!

message 44: by ❀ Susan (new)

I used it for the out of my comfort zone BINGO square!

message 45: by Mj (new)

Mj I considered it for a 2016 Bingo Square but decided to pass. The description I read for the edition in the link below didn't appeal to me. Sounded rather like bestiality and I wasn't interested enough to find out - even if the writing was great and there was other good content.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

That being said, it is a classic and many people have rated the book highly. Although contentious many readers seem to have enjoyed the majority of the book. Maybe one day, I'll get around to trying it.

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I was planning on using Bear as my 100 books that make you proud to be Canadian square. Looks like I'll be in for an interesting read!

message 47: by ❀ Susan (new)

I might never look at bears the same way again!

message 48: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments I think "Bear" would definitely qualify as a book outside my comfort zone. I think that's where it will land for me, because now I'm intrigued.

message 49: by ❀ Susan (new)

I will be interesting to see what you think @Allison, @Megan and @Natasha - i am sure that the book would spark interesting discussion but I am still creeped out.

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments @Susan, I'm going to bump it up on my TBR list. :)

« previous 1