Our Shared Shelf discussion

Pay it Forward! > Jul/Aug - Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen (henrietteterkelsen) If anyone would want to send a copy to Denmark I would be incredibly greatful. And I will make sure to pass it forward to someone else after reading it.

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Hi Henriette, I have it on order coming from the states so will be 2 august before it gets here take me couple of days to read it. then will get it to you if that works.

message 3: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen (henrietteterkelsen) Ross - that would be really great!
I'll send you a pm, so we can make arrangements.

message 4: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Dupuis | 7 comments Hey ! I don't understand a lot how this thread works, but before reading, know that I maybe not able to send back your copy of the book if you decide to send it to me, and then, I'm only 16 so I can't pay anything. I posted a comment on the book's thread explaining why I can't get this book myself, if you want to know why.
If you're ready to let me your copy of the book and maybe never get it back, send me a pm.
By the way, I'm from France.
Sorry about that.

message 5: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments I shall have the book done by Wednesday. I shall send it to Henriette and start the ball rolling.

I will post my full review then also, summary well written and involving read.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia Scherf | 18 comments If anyone still needs a copy of Hunger makes me a modern girl just message me.

message 7: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Dupuis | 7 comments Lucas wrote: "Hey ! I don't understand a lot how this thread works, but before reading, know that I maybe not able to send back your copy of the book if you decide to send it to me, and then, I'm only 16 so I ca..."
Just to say that the problem's over !

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments I still not be able to read the July/August book. I went to different libraries here to search if they have a copy but unfortunately, Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl is not available here in the Philippines! ;(

Is anyone have a copy or already finish reading it and would like to send me a copy? I would really appreciate your kindness! ❤️

message 9: by love hurts (new)

love hurts  | 24 comments Hello. I haven't read this book yet and have been wanting to read this book for a long time. If anyone would be willing to send me a copy, your copy or a new one, that would be great. Thank you!

message 10: by FatimaSasha (new)

FatimaSasha Bhutta | 4 comments If anyone has a copy pleaseeeeee Message me. I have been wanting to read this book for so long.

message 11: by Bronka (new)

Bronka | 6 comments hey, anyone finishing now? i would like a copy even a very used one, please. can send it back or to someone else when i finish ;)
thank you in advance

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Finch | 36 comments Hi Does anyone have a copy of the book that I can borrow please? So many fab books isn't there. (England)

message 13: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments Book: Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl
Author: Carrie Brownstein
Rating: 2 Out of 5 Stars

I think I have just found my least favourite Our Shared Shelf book. This is one that I have been putting off reading, because I just had a feeling that I was not going to like it and I was right. It just clearly was not my cup of tea.

Carrie's memoir was severely lacking that pull toward her that is required in a good memoir. It didn't seem like she was excited about anything and just came across as a very dry person. She made herself seem super important and that everyone else in her life was just there to support her. The events she talks about in her personal life were just mentioned in passing. Her music, which is supposed to be the focus of the book, was just lacking the passion.

This is a very thin read. No, I don't mean the book is thin, I mean it is just lacking. It is overwritten, with too much focus being on how Carrie is the star of the show. It's all about Carrie, not about anything else. It is poorly paced. It seems like she did not listen to anything her editor said. The writing is poor, which for her being a songwriter is kind of shocking. Maybe her songs are just as shallow as her writing, I hope not. It did not make me want to go out of find out more about her, which is something that memoirs are supposed to be. To be honest, it felt like I was reading something about the band that really wasn't written by one of their members.

The other books that we have read for Our Shared Shelf were actually pretty good, but this one just fell short. This does not mean that I am going to give up on reading the books; it just means that I'm really going to do my homework before I start reading. I do have this month's pick checked out from the library. Stand by for my review on it-I think it will like this month's, I'm familiar with the author.

message 14: by Iana (new)

Iana | 16 comments I know I'm late to the party but can someone share the book with me? Either a kindle copy or by post but I'm in Kenya so i think kindle is easier and less expensive.

message 15: by Anne Elisabeth (new)

Anne Elisabeth   (anneelisabeth) | 90 comments Iana wrote: "I know I'm late to the party but can someone share the book with me? Either a kindle copy or by post but I'm in Kenya so i think kindle is easier and less expensive."
I have a copy if you want it :) Please comment here or send med a message.

message 16: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) | 21 comments Anne Elisabeth wrote: "Iana wrote: "I know I'm late to the party but can someone share the book with me? Either a kindle copy or by post but I'm in Kenya so i think kindle is easier and less expensive."
I have a copy if ..."

sent you a nessage

message 17: by Griselda (new)

Griselda (graygal) If anyone still has a copy, I would love the opportunity to read it.
I will pay it forward when I'm done. :)

message 18: by Laure (new)

Laure | 392 comments Hey Griselda, I also have this one to pay forward, if you're still interested!

message 19: by Alix (new)

Alix | 15 comments Hey, I'm still looking for a copy for that book. I live in Denmark, but also have an address in Germany. Whatever suits you better.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, you see I am not a girl. But I am also interested in the book. Can I also have a copy of the book? Do you ship in Bangladesh?

message 21: by Fern (new)

Fern | 14 comments I am looking for a copy ☺️ based in the UK!