/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1)
This topic is about The Aeronaut's Windlass
2016 Book Club Discussions > July 2016: The Aeronaut's Windlass - First Impressions and Spoiler Free Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments This is where you can discuss your first impressions of the book, as well as overall opinions of the book *just be sure to keep it spoiler free*

Robert (hopwil) | 3 comments Right from the beginning I enjoy the personalities of the characters. There was not too much setup time that I became bored with it.

Scott This seems to be a great start to a new series, especially if you like swashbuckling airship action mixed with political machinations. It results in a unique universe, even as it uses well established, oft utilized ideas. I very much enjoy Jim Butcher's work, and am intrigued enough to eagerly await the continuation. Good mix of steampunk and magic, and the cats really do fit very well into the story, and are part of why I am looking forward to what happens next.

Roselyn (fantasy-newb) I have not read any Jim Butcher books before but now that I have, I will definitely start reading more from him. The writing is really cool and well-paced and the airship battles oh my. It's the best, really.

Laura (sleepingaurora) | 3 comments I'm listening to the audiobook and I LOVE Rowl. He really comes to life in the audiobook.

message 6: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Frank | 1 comments Well I didn't quite finish this in time (I've still got about a third of the book to go), but I'm enjoying it so far. :-) I agree with Scott that it's putting the series off to a great start.

I get the definite impression that these people are living on distant-future Earth. There's a constant use of Earth classical/historical terminology, and at one point of the characters uses the phrase "on this earth" (though most of the time they say "world"). Should be interesting to see where he goes with that, and if it becomes part of the story.

wishforagiraffe | 3 comments Rowl is seriously amazing in the audiobook, agreed. Overall, this was a really well narrated audiobook, one I've been recommending fairly often