Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
This topic is about Ship of Magic
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Ship of Magic - Chapters 5-10

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abner (last edited Jul 06, 2016 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abner | 90 comments This I feel is a trope that I've seen before, the story of someone wanting something really bad and some one who doesn't want it at all gets it.

Winthrow at first I though he didn't have character, just a kind of guy that just goes with the flow but after he confronted the sailor for the dirty blanket, I feel he might yet grow, and star to feel a little more pride in his family, this inevitably will bring him to a confrontation with Althea in the books to come i think.

So, the little tidbits about the serpents are intriguing, the serpents are going to the gathering for their rebirth as I said before I think they where human before and they will be reborn as humans again. It will be an interesting plot twist, but this is just me rambling.

I REALLY don't think Ephron died of "natural" causes, I'm pretty sure something accelerated his death, and Kyle is behind it.

Kennits motives keep being confusing, he wants to basically offer protection to the traders from themselves (the pirates) for a hefty price that they will pay if they want to secure their cargo, Sorcor says yea but we won't trade with slavers and Kennit is mad AF because I think that's where he wanted to get the most money from, to rally all the pirates and do this he has to capture a liveship which is no easy task, unless he can buy paragon and bend him to his will, which I highly doubt is gonna happen.

I'm pretty sure Kyle convinced Keffria to give Wintrow to the monastery to keep him away where nobody could see him and be a shame to his family. But now he needs him to board the Vivacia because his other son is too young, if not Wintrow will still be in the monastery, he didn't like it at first but I guess he got attached to it.

Kyle... this mofo said they will trade whatever is profitable, so I'm not surprised that he want's to start trading slaves in order to make profits, or sail the Rain Wilds, also now that Ephron is dead he sees himself as head of the house and he can do w/e he wants even beat his own son in front of Ronica, while she said "this is my home and you will not...". So Ronica is starting to realize what a dumb ass Kyle really is. But this guy has everyone eating at the palm of his hands, with the pretense that he is the only one who could pull them from debt, but he also has to have an ulterior motive.

Davad is a curious character, and he placed an ex-slave on the Vestrid household. I really doubt his motives to want to help them, with the excuse that they have to adapt to survive, I really think he will do anything to survive, including throwing the other trader families under the bus. Including siding with Kyle.

Also Althea reminds me of Catalyst, doesn't have have a good control of her emotions and is very driven to get what she want's.

Kennit is my favorite for now because his motives are not completely clear.

message 2: by John (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:38PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Abner wrote: "This I feel is a trope that I've seen before, the story of someone wanting something really bad and some one who doesn't want it at all gets it.

Winthrow at first I though he didn't have character..."

Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that there much credible evidence at this point to argue that Ephron was murdered; however, in this instance, you might have a point; given what happened with poisonings throughout the Farseers, the author might not be able to resist using this trope here as well.

Speculating further, if Kyle is out to sea most of the time, then he would have an alibi regarding the administration of poison, so if he is involved, somebody else must actually be "overseasoning" the soup! Right at the beginning of Ch.3, Ronica is fretting over the odd distracted carelessness of the slave Rache in serving soup to Ephron. The shattered nerves of a guilty conscience?! Maybe a motive will become clear in future chapters.

It's also possible that it is Davad Restart ( who placed Rache in the household, and may covet properties for himself or third parties) who is the perpetrator, and possibly not Kyle, who with his hateful ways might make an ideal scapegoat!

So much guesswork for a crime that may never have happened! Clearly Robin Hobb is good at getting us to chase our own shadows down the rabbit hole.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Samantha wrote: "Favorite Character so far? Least favorite?"

Kennit is definitely my favorite. This is a man bent on world domination and I cannot WAIT to see how that greed and emptiness drives him to do terrible things. I think, ultimately, he will suffer terrible consequences for his actions.

Also, I already love to hate that son-of-a-bitch Kyle. He's going to be another super villain before all is said and done, I can feel it! His treatment of Ronica, Keffria, and Althea is perfectly horrible. I'm sure we have worse news to come from him. However, I'm interested to see how his actions propel Althea to do something great. Characters forced out of their comfort zone by vicious family members almost always come back with a triumphant moment of kick-assery (although, with Hobb's writing style, I'm sure that moment is a long ways off).

I think Wintrow is going to be a supremely frustrating character. His personality and reactions to the events so far smack of a Fitz-like submission and/or victimization that will be tough to read. I picture him speaking when he shouldn't speak, acting when he shouldn't act, and NOT acting/speaking when he should.

Finally, I am so interested in Paragon. This is a liveship that is going to have a helluva back story. I'm so fascinated by the idea of a liveship going mad and doing horrible things to its passengers. What kind of things occurred on the decks of this ship? What atrocities were committed against Paragon to make him like his is? I don't know! But the suspense is killing me.

Ok, back to reading :D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Abner wrote: "This I feel is a trope that I've seen before, the story of someone wanting something really bad and some one who doesn't want it at all gets it.

Winthrow at first I though he didn't have character..."

What an intriguing thought that Kyle was somehow behind Ephron's untimely death. I certainly wouldn't put it past him.

The serpents are so interesting right? I love that their manner of thought and speech is a little quirkly; animalistic and somehow very human. I think they might have something to do with the dreaded Rain Wilds.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

John wrote: "Abner wrote: "This I feel is a trope that I've seen before, the story of someone wanting something really bad and some one who doesn't want it at all gets it.

Winthrow at first I though he didn't ..."

OMG John! What a great thought! That servant has always made me nervous...why is she here? Why does she behave the way she does? What does Davad have on her that keeps her in servitude despite her obvious reticence? Oh I love the conspiracy theory on this piece.

Jenni (jennikreads) | 2 comments I definitely second my supreme curiosity in regards to Paragon. I love him. All his sass and honestly. I cannot wait for more of his back story and how he fits into things.

Kyle makes me want to absolutely explode. I agree he's worse than Regal because he does it in a way that makes the other characters question whether or not he is actually right. He's like the Umbridge to Regal's Voldermort. UGH.

message 7: by John (new)

John | 219 comments FrankieReads wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Favorite Character so far? Least favorite?"

Kennit is definitely my favorite. This is a man bent on world domination and I cannot WAIT to see how that greed and emptiness drives h..."

Kennit looks like more of a lovable rogue type, which would be a useful thing to have in this series because even if he is up to no good, it is going to be a lot of fun watching him get in and out of escapades. The other characters like Althea, Wintrow and Brashen look like they are going to suffer through more than than their fair share of trials and tribulations, so Kennit may provide welcome comic relief.

message 8: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Samantha wrote: "FrankieReads wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Favorite Character so far? Least favorite?"

Kennit is definitely my favorite. This is a man bent on world domination and I cannot WAIT to see how that greed a..."

The thing about Wintrow that impresses me is his committment to personal integrity and his willingness to apply his stubbornness and conviction and speak truth to power if he feels he is right, damn the consequences.

This is going to get him in trouble, of course, and he tends to be dogmatic and lacking in common sense (like most thirteen-year olds), but what formidable character in someone so young.

A degree of these qualities must come from his father, but without his viciousness. Perhaps the training at the monastery has expanded his humane sensibilities.

message 9: by John (last edited Jul 04, 2016 07:26PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Jenni wrote: "I definitely second my supreme curiosity in regards to Paragon. I love him. All his sass and honestly. I cannot wait for more of his back story and how he fits into things.

Kyle makes me want to a..."

Right, Jenni! Kyle will take a kernel of truth about someone and totally make a meal of it.

Althea is definitely a little spoiled and impulsive, but Kyle will pose a huge grandiose argument out of that and make all of her achievements and competence in seamanship seem like nothing; as if some minor faults would completely disqualify her from serving on the crew!

message 10: by John (last edited Jul 05, 2016 03:12PM) (new)

John | 219 comments If we are judging strictly on the basis of results, Ronica's efforts to have Ephron change the will to leave everything (including the liveship) to Keffria, has been a complete catastrophe.

Now Kyle has exiled Althea from the ship; Wintrow has been wrested from the priesthood and pressed into service; and Kyle is either going to turn Vivacia into a slaver, or run dangerous voyages into the Rain Wilds.

Ronica's thinking behind this decision, though, is not illogical at first glance; the idea was to keep Ephron's estate consolidated into one trustworthy person (Keffria) and make some provisions to take care of Althea's financial well-being.

As far as the liveship goes, Althea is only eighteen years old and exhibits too much immaturity to be entrusted with the ownership of a ship which is after all the entire family's livelihood. Kyle is, if nothing else, an experienced sea captain who is married into the family, and who furthermore has experience in the entrepreneurial and negotiatory aspects of a sea captain's duties that Althea lacks at this point in her life.

Ronica, however, is somewhat obtuse about the subtleties of human nature, and what she took for Keffria's conscientiousness and strength of character, was in fact Keffria being docile and fearful of doing anything that might offend anyone, even if it was the right thing to do. Having overestimated Keffria's wisdom and sensibilities in this way was then compounded by Ephron's and Ronica's belief that they could trust Keffria's choice of a husband, never realizing what an abusive monster Kyle was!

Ultimately, you have to say that while Ronica is very thorough and deliberate in doing the right thing, she seems to lack the moral imagination to actually figure out what the right thing actually is; and well-meaning blunders like this get made.

But you have to give her credit for owning her mistake to Althea.

Michelle (topaz6) | 26 comments Keffria is probably my most frustrating character (after Kyle, of course). She gave the management of her entire inheritance to him, and can't seem to stand the thought of (even necessary) conflict. I'm really glad to see that Ronica is starting to see the errors in her ways, though, maybe the Vestrit storyline will turn into a big scheme behind Kyle's back?

message 12: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Michelle wrote: "Keffria is probably my most frustrating character (after Kyle, of course). She gave the management of her entire inheritance to him, and can't seem to stand the thought of (even necessary) conflict..."

Both Keffria and her mother are very conflict avoidant to begin with here! I think it's probably inherent in their basic temperaments. And Ronica isn't married to a jerk like Kyle, so she doesn't feel as torn and confused as Keffria does.

Sarah | 52 comments This book drew me in way more quickly than any of the farseer books.
Althea reminds me a lot of Fitz from Royal Assassin, just like him she acts on her feelings and without thinking. I am not sure yet how I feel about her. I change my opinion every few sentences.

I really like Wintrow and Brashen. Especially Wintrow ge already has a lot of backbone but I think he will have a great storarc and a lot of character developement in the cominf books.

I am very intrigued by Kennit. He is probably going zo be able to capture the Viavacity because everyone else is to stupid to notice that she needs Althea.

Kyle makes me so angry. Throw-the-book-against-the-wall-angry. I don't see how he could have deceived Ephron and everybode else from that family except Althea. It's been a long time since I hated an antagonist to the point where I couldn't even appreciate him as a character and that's happening right now.

I really like this book so far but at the same time my main feeling while reading is frustration:)

message 14: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Sarah wrote: "This book drew me in way more quickly than any of the farseer books.
Althea reminds me a lot of Fitz from Royal Assassin, just like him she acts on her feelings and without thinking. I am not sure..."

I think Kyle fooled everybody for so long in part because both he and Ephron (probably a more shrewd judge of character than Ronica) are out to sea on different ships the vast majority of the time and have limited contact.

Also, when Kyle wasn't on a voyage, he and Keffria were, for their entire marriage, guests at his in-law's home and he probably would never have felt comfortable fully expressing himself in a house where he is beholden to the owner for his bed and board.

Now that the will has put that property and the liveship in Keffria's name, he now has the power to be as bad as he wants!

Sarah | 52 comments John wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This book drew me in way more quickly than any of the farseer books.
Althea reminds me a lot of Fitz from Royal Assassin, just like him she acts on her feelings and without thinking...."

It's mainly ephron I wonder about. It's implied that Kyle already spent time with him on his voyages. If he is as good a judge of character as it is said he should have noticed how horrible Kyle is, spending so much time with him

Michelle (topaz6) | 26 comments Sarah wrote: "John wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This book drew me in way more quickly than any of the farseer books.
Althea reminds me a lot of Fitz from Royal Assassin, just like him she acts on her feelings and with..."

We don't exactly have an objective judge of character about him, we only came into the series when he was on his deathbed, and Althea and Ronica both nearly idolized him. I've got to wonder if he wasn't as amazing a captain and a person as everyone says he was...

message 17: by John (last edited Jul 14, 2016 10:43AM) (new)

John | 219 comments Michelle wrote: "Sarah wrote: "John wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This book drew me in way more quickly than any of the farseer books.
Althea reminds me a lot of Fitz from Royal Assassin, just like him she acts on her fee..."

That sounds familiar! We had the same problem assessing Chivalry from second hand reports in the Farseer trilogy, but never got to see him interact with the other characters ourselves.

Sarah | 52 comments John wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Sarah wrote: "John wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This book drew me in way more quickly than any of the farseer books.
Althea reminds me a lot of Fitz from Royal Assassin, just like him sh..."

You're right. However there were soldiers in the Fraseer Trilogy who weren't to much of a fan of Chivalry and so far we have only heard praise about Ephron from his sailors, whether or not his family idolized him.

message 19: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Samantha wrote: "One thing I noticed when reading this trilogy is that every character has a very specific character flaw (that they themselves are blind to) that affects the others in very big way:

Althea: Her Na..."

This is a good accurate list, Sam! On Kyle's, I might add his hostility, or his viciousness, or his vileness, or his sadism or his misanthropy, or..................( see thesaurus for all that apply) LOL.

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Welham I'm starting to really sink into and enjoy this book now. I really like Kennit as a character and despite his arrogance I hope he gets what he is after. Kyle is evil maybe not to Regal standards yet but he has plenty of time to. Keffria just seems incredibly weak and pathetic. I'm interested to see what happens with Althea and Brashen I guess they will work together; I do like that pairing.

message 21: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Amy wrote: "I'm starting to really sink into and enjoy this book now. I really like Kennit as a character and despite his arrogance I hope he gets what he is after. Kyle is evil maybe not to Regal standards ye..."

The thing with Keffria is that she has spent the nearly fifteen years of her marriage and the raising of all her children under her parent's roof and patronage; how will she behave in the future now that the effects of the will give her ownership of that household and her mother becomes her guest? Kyle seems to have the upper hand in influencing her so far!

Cristina Scipioni (cristina24) | 2 comments My favorite, Kennit. Every word has me drooling❤️

Cristina Scipioni (cristina24) | 2 comments "We make them believe We can do The impossible. By doing things all others deem impossible. Such as, say, capturing a liveship and using it as our main vessel"

TAN TAN TA TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

My God, why is this guy sooooo hottttt????

Anita Reads | 22 comments I don't know what to say other than I really hate Kyle. Didn't think it was possible to hate a character more than Regal, but yeah, Regal's got some competition for sure!

I find Althea's story really intriguing. I hope that Ronica figures out how to get some backbone into Keffria, because she's getting annoying real fast.

I really can't tell how this is all going to go.
I'm actually on chapter 12 now, so I forgot to update with this section.

message 25: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Anita wrote: "I don't know what to say other than I really hate Kyle. Didn't think it was possible to hate a character more than Regal, but yeah, Regal's got some competition for sure!

I find Althea's story rea..."

Keffria is receiving the liveship and all this power at the same time Kyle is in port, and she cannot resist his charm and subtle( and not so subtle) intimidation to find her own mind with him present.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.