All About Books discussion

The Monday Poem > SYMPHONY IN YELLOW by Oscar Wilde (July 4, 2016)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

An omnibus across the bridge
Crawls like a yellow butterfly
And, here and there, a passer-by
Shows like a little restless midge.

Big barges full of yellow hay
Are moored against the shadowy wharf,
And, like a yellow silken scarf,
The thick fog hangs along the quay.

The yellow leaves begin to fade
And flutter from the temple elms,
And at my feet the pale green Thames
Lies like a rod of rippled jade.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I never thought of he color yellow representing both new life with flowers blooming and sunshine, but also death with dry grass or hay and fallen leaves. I like how Wilde compares things like a thick fog to a silken scarf. It's just so differently beautiful.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Great choice Janessa! Like you say, the imagery is sharp and some of it is pleasingly unique, like the river as a "rod." Something odd about that image, makes me picture the water solid and frozen in place mid-ripple. I like the contrast of the butterfly and the midges too!

The silken scarf, butterfly, & jade are the kind of formal elegant imagery with flowers and precious stones that I expect in Wilde's poetry, particularly the earlier poetry, so different than the more raw and emotional late poem "Ballad of Reading Gaol." But this poem is a bit different in some of its images, the barges and the midges.

Thanks for sharing it Janessa!

message 4: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Liked the poem. The explanation that you gave as the first comment helped in my liking it. Thanks. Liked the imagery especially 'fog as the yellow silken scarf'.

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 12194 comments Mod
Loved reading this poem, thanks for sharing.

message 6: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Thanks, Janessa. I didn't know this poem before, but I'm very pleased to have had a chance to read it.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I love the way this trips off the tongue - the rhythm to it - as well as all the colors in the imagery. Even though I love Wilde's plays, I have not yet read any of his poetry - I can see that I have a treat in store :)

Thanks Janessa!

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I've read it a few times now and it grows on me each time I do, it's very unique in it's way or pairing images. Thanks for sharing Janessa!