Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Marvelous May 2/2

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Jul 02, 2016 05:38PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1390 comments 5)Thoreau at Devil's Perch by B. B. Oak (historical mystery) 345 pages. Source: Library Started: 3/28 Finished: 5/19

Why Read: This is a mystery in which I thought that the central character would be historical personage Henry David Thoreau who decided to live at Walden Pond and wrote a book about it. That sounded very interesting.

Comments: Thoreau found the body of a murdered free African American, but he wasn't the primary investigator. The actual MC was a fictional physician. There is also a Native American character called Trump which was occasionally amusing in the light of current politics. Hypnosis and reincarnation played a role in the plot. But the case turned out to be not quite as interesting as I hoped. Rating B.

6)Elementary: The Ghost Line by Adam Christopher (media tie-in mystery) 319 pages. Source: Library Started: 5/21 Finished: 5/22

Why Read: This is an original novel based on the TV series Elementary in which Sherlock Holmes is a PI in modern New York and Watson is female. I really like Elementary, and this case deals with underground tunnels underneath New York City. I've been fascinated with that idea ever since I watched the first Beauty and the Beast TV series.

Comments: The victim was a subway train driver and the weapon was an Uzi. The author portrays the TV versions of Holmes and Watson as they are shown on Elementary very well. The case wasn't interesting, but I loved WWSHD? as a chapter heading. Rating B

7)The Steep & Thorny Way by Cat Winters (YA historical fantasy) 335 pages.
Source: Library Started: 5/23 Finished: 5/25

Why Read: I liked The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters and ended up liking her adult novel The Uninvited even more. This one has a bi-racial MC whose father was murdered in an Oregon town in 1923.

Comments: This is a re-telling of Shakespeare's Hamlet that makes a strong statement about racism. The protagonist was wonderful. Rating B+ See my review at http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2016/...

8)Dog Gone by Diane Moat (mystery) Source: Amazon Started: 5/27
Finished: 5/28

Why Read: This was about a woman who devotes her life to finding out who abused and murdered a dog that she found on the street. It turns out to be a serial dog killer case. I was as angry about it as the protagonist and I wanted the killer stopped.

Comments: The MC is an unusual woman and the book contains a great many flashbacks dealing with her past. So it's not an action novel. It's more of a psychological mystery. I also need to say that animal lovers may not be able to deal with the abuse. But I thought it was really powerful. I rated it A. It's the only A rated mystery that I've read this year so far.

I'm hoping to post my June reads soon. I didn't read as many great books in June. May was just incredible!

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments I'm sure I wouldn't be able to handle Dog Gone. I'm one of those people who doesn't care who gets killed in the movies as long a no one hurts the dog.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments I am not a fan of movies with animal cruelty either, but this book Dog Gone sounds like something I want to read for a couple of reasons. Nice month Shomeret!
I like the Elementary TV series too and the tie in book is intriguing from the inclusion of the tunnels below NYC.
Re The Steep and Thorny Way, I like how much of YA fiction tackles subjects that need more illumination and understanding.
Melodie wrote: "I'm sure I wouldn't be able to handle Dog Gone. I'm one of those people who doesn't care who gets killed in the movies as long a no one hurts the dog."