The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

82 views
American Revolutionary War - anyone know of any gay fiction of the era?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by batchelorboy55 (new)

batchelorboy55 | 9 comments OK so posting here is new to me BUT...
Anyone know of any gay fiction around the time/setting of the American Revolutionary War/Independence Day. I have found a couple of screenplays on amazon, and the 2014 anthology For Love & Liberty.

Anyone?


message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jason_williams) | 18 comments I'm curious myself. Seems like there are tons of Regency era novels, but not so many Colonial.


message 3: by Tex Reader (new)

Tex Reader (texreader) | 10 comments I'm glad I found this thread, b/c the rev. period is my fav era in history. But you're right, not many gay books. If I were an author that's the period I would write in, b/c it's uncharted and seems like it would have so much potential with what all was going on.

I want to read Purgatory, too, but I'm afraid that's Civil War period. Still a good period, too, though.

I did grab this one when I saw it released recently. I haven't read it yet, but it has some nice reviews.
Revolutionary Temptation by Silvia Violet

A little later, 1790s in the Northwest Territory, are two that I really liked:
Man & Beast (The Savage Land, #1) by Michael Jensen Man & Monster (The Savage Land, #2) by Michael Jensen

And there's always this (just for a joke, but rumor has it .... just sayin'):
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

That's all I know of, so I'm interested if others have any suggestions.


message 4: by batchelorboy55 (new)

batchelorboy55 | 9 comments Tex Reader wrote: "I'm glad I found this thread, b/c the rev. period is my fav era in history. But you're right, not many gay books. If I were an author that's the period I would write in, b/c it's uncharted and seem..."

Tex, I've got the original Jensen books (Frontiers [1999], and Firelands [2004]) in print. Great reads.

I record my collection over on another site, and have found a couple of others since this original post so here is the link to view
https://www.librarycat.org/lib/gsc55/...


message 5: by Tex Reader (new)

Tex Reader (texreader) | 10 comments batchelorboy55 wrote: "Tex, I've got the original Jensen books (Frontiers [1999], and Firelands [2004]) in print. Great reads.
I record my collection...https://www.librarycat.org/lib/gsc55/... "


Yes, I too had read Jensen's original versions as well, and the updates are even better.
Thanks for the link and list. I had several immediate thoughts:
- 1st - Yay! oh, is that all there is? A novel, 3 novellas, and a short in a mixed orientation anth? This sub/sub genre is ripe for the picking.
- 2nd - oops. Dirk Hessian stole my ideas for stories. Actually, this era is so rich, there is plenty left. And I'll look into his novellas.
- 3rd - Hessian???? What an interesting pen name for an American author of this period, and others.
- 4th - I wonder if there is anything in the fanfic/indep sites like AO3? Don;t know if you have, but I'll have to check, but for now ...

I'm grateful for the references, thanks, and hope others may have gems as well.


message 6: by batchelorboy55 (new)

batchelorboy55 | 9 comments I never got into fanfic (unforgiveable I know) but glad now that I have nowhere near enough time for the big stuff.
Hessian is one of several pseud. for the same erotica writer.
http://www.barbarianspy.com
I always understood that the US Civil war was up their in the no. of titles but not the American Revolutionary War.
There is also great MM in some of the skirmishes. Alamo, Indian battles, Whiskey Rebellion (Aust. has a Rum Rebellion, but also check out Eureka Rebellion)
Wow & Texas has so many....


message 7: by Tex Reader (new)

Tex Reader (texreader) | 10 comments Yeah, being from Texas, I have a hankerin' for westerns, more the historical than the contemp (as in contemporary, not contemptible, but maybe a little of that, too, haha). And westerns are more popular. But the Alamo? Have not run across that. Oh my! I'll have to check that out (and the others). You mean Davy and Jim Bowie got it on? Where's my coon skin cap?


message 8: by batchelorboy55 (new)

batchelorboy55 | 9 comments Tex Reader wrote: "Yeah, being from Texas, I have a hankerin' for westerns, more the historical than the contemp (as in contemporary, not contemptible, but maybe a little of that, too, haha). And westerns are more po..."

ROFL


message 9: by batchelorboy55 (new)

batchelorboy55 | 9 comments batchelorboy55 wrote: "Tex Reader wrote: "Yeah, being from Texas, I have a hankerin' for westerns, more the historical than the contemp (as in contemporary, not contemptible, but maybe a little of that, too, haha). And w..."

I wasn't going to keep this going but a couple of things occurred to me.
Cap Iversen's Dakota series was probably the first true historical western I had read.
But don't discount Richard Amory's Song of the Loon and Tom Spandbauer's Man who fell in love with the moon.


message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 27 comments I'm curious, too. The Revolutionary War era is my favourite time to read about, but I'm having a hard time finding anything about it, whether it's gay historical fiction/nonfiction or not.


message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus (expendablemudge) | 13 comments Song of the Loon! I'd forgotten that one. Thanks for the memory jog.

Also, @Tex Reader, Jim Bowie and Santa Anna...just sayin'...the whole thing was a lover's quarrel.


message 12: by Tex Reader (new)

Tex Reader (texreader) | 10 comments Richard wrote: Also, @Tex Reader, Jim Bowie and Santa Anna...just sayin'...the whole thing was a lover's quarrel."

So in addition to thinking that the Rev War would be ripe for me to write about (IF I wrote), I could do a fanfic sendup of The Alamo with Jim and Santa in a big reverse of the m/m enemies-to-lovers trope. Naw, I think I'd like a Bowie-Crockett pairing better. More poignant ending for them both.


message 13: by Tex Reader (last edited Jun 06, 2017 11:49AM) (new)

Tex Reader (texreader) | 10 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm having a hard time finding anything about it, whether it's gay historical fiction/nonfiction or not."

I've found the same, which is why I liked this thread. But alas, I think previous posts ID'd the few things that are out there. Which is why I think this is ripe for the picking to write about.


message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus (expendablemudge) | 13 comments Tex Reader wrote: "Richard wrote: Also, @Tex Reader, Jim Bowie and Santa Anna...just sayin'...the whole thing was a lover's quarrel."

So in addition to thinking that the Rev War would be ripe for me to write about (IF I wrote), I could do a fanfic sendup of The Alamo with Jim and Santa in a big reverse of the m/m enemies-to-lovers trope. Naw, I think I'd like a Bowie-Crockett pairing better. More poignant ending for them both."


My unsolicited two cents about m/m romantic/sexual fiction: We've seen enough "death is the natural end of faggot love" endings for, for all of me, ever. Death in Venice being my least favorite...the miasma of disease enveloping Venice from the start then the Tadzio obsession weakening him to the point where he dies? Yuck.

But your idea of cowboy love is supported by historical research and bears (forgive pun) a lot of potentially sweet fruit (!) on them thar branches.


message 15: by DFZ (new)

DFZ (dfzdfz) | 1 comments The Pursuit Of... by Courtney Milan is good and gay and not tragedy porn.


message 16: by Tex Reader (new)

Tex Reader (texreader) | 10 comments Mymymble wrote: "Days Without End by Sebastian Barry is a brilliant book with gay protagonists...."

Thanks for the recommendation. I too very much enjoyed the book, even wrote a review. Alas, it's 1800s, still yearning for something just as good for the dynamic revolutionary times. As for this one, I found out later that the straight author wrote this as a nod to his gay son, which I think showed a little, but still well done ...

4.0 – An Everyman’s Tale of Life, Survival & Love.
I’m a fan of gay historical westerns, and this even had a cover that captured my interests. Like the painting, this story had a rustic natural beauty, full of details, raw but also idealized, with two frontiersmen in the foreground looking out on an immense landscape of America. My major disappointment: this had so much good detail and description of the historical aspects, but in stark contrast lacked that for the gay feelings and relationships. Even still, this was quite a yarn. As the MC might say in his humble way, nothin’ special, just plain ole storytellin’.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 17: by Tex Reader (new)

Tex Reader (texreader) | 10 comments Djaz wrote: "The Pursuit Of... by Courtney Milan is good and gay and not tragedy porn."

oh, oh, oh! Now we're talking. Gotta read, gotta read, gotta read. Thanks for the rec!


back to top