read with Marines discussion

Everything I Never Told You
This topic is about Everything I Never Told You
archive > Everything I Never Told You (July 2016)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mari (new)

Mari (mynameismarines) | 60 comments Mod
Hello, friends! I will be rereading Everything I Never Told You in July and hope some of you will join me!

This is a very casual and relaxed buddy read. There is no reading schedule. Get to it when you can and come on over to discuss as you can, all through the month of July.

Please start every post with the chapter or page number through which you have read, that way people know if it's safe to read your comment without fear of spoilers.

If you have any questions, let me know!

I first read this story in February of 2015 and I can still remember all of the complicated feelings this story caused in me. I'm really curious to revisit a little more carefully and soberly to see how well it holds up. I'm also kind of accepting, though, that I'm just going to be a ball of feelings again...

I hope you guys enjoy!

Happy reading!
x

message 2: by Mari (new)

Mari (mynameismarines) | 60 comments Mod
I've been slacking on reading in general, so the group's been quiet but I want to make sure to keep up with it, because I've had so much fun in the past. So, here we go:

Read through page 46

- More than anything, I've just been highlighting small moments or things that stand out to me since this is a reread and I know where the story is headed. Honestly, I'm reading with a pit in my stomach because of how emotional it made me first time around. So, that's cool.

- Marilyn is describing how Lydia just suddenly learning to walk and I thought it was a nice, if not subtle, way to preview Lydia's character. Other kids toddle around. Lydia was suddenly standing right behind her mother.

- There is also an early scene where the kids get stopped in a grocery store and asked if they are Chinese and the strange comments on their eye shape. I think most nonwhites, POC or immigrants can relate to something like this or the whole idea of strangers thinking they own some part of your identity, whether that's touching your hair or slanting their eyes at you.

-Marilyn was the character I think I most struggled with the first time around so I'm trying to keep my mind open when it comes to her to see if I can feel or identify with her more this time.

That's it!

Joan (diamondolc) | 1 comments Okay, I've finished the book but I'll try not to write any spoilers for anyone who hasn't yet.

Overall, I really liked this. I wouldn't say I liked the characters/plot quite enough for a 5-star rating, but the excellent descriptions and sensory details in Ng's writing pushed it up to 5 stars for me.

My main complaint for the novel, though, is that sometimes the drama seemed a little bit...contrived? Idk. All the characters (except Hannah) came off as self-pitying drama queens a lot of the time. At some points it actually seemed a bit laughable. Am I the only one who felt that way?