Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Suicides by occupation

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Just read a list of suicides by occupation, and librarians were the lowest. I'm thinking that it's because they're always in the middle of a good book, and who wants to check out before it's finished?

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Hahaha! Working in the local library was my first part time job in high school. Give the job to the kid who's always here anyway. Even though I worked in the children's section, they'd let me read new adult section books before we started calling people on the list. It was a great job! And since hardly anyone came into my section in the evening I was allowed to read while working. Loved that job.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8246 comments Funny, Dan. I bet you're right. Dawn, every time I go into the library I think about what fun it would be to volunteer there. Don't want to give the city any reason not to pay librarians for their work, however. It does sound like a great part time job for a student.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14963 comments Excellent point Dan! It has to be a factor for someone reading a good book, and librarians are surely tempted by their proximity.
Dan in AZ wrote: "Just read a list of suicides by occupation, and librarians were the lowest. I'm thinking that it's because they're always in the middle of a good book, and who wants to check out before it's finished?"

message 5: by Melodie (last edited Jul 02, 2016 05:44PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments I can definitely see that! Plus the sense that you're helping people and contributing something seems like it would apply, too.

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1390 comments Melodie wrote: "I can definitely see that! Plus the sense that you're helping people and contributing something seems like something that would apply, too."

I bet that they don't include unemployed librarians in their statistics.

message 7: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments I volunteer in my local library one day per week. Wonderful place with happy people