Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's June

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Not a high volume month, but I'm sure you'll forgive me. Ten days of June were taken with a trip to Paris and London. Exquisite.

The Fireman by Joe Hill The Fireman Joe Hill. Narrator: Kate Mulgrew. 4/5

A group read with this group. A plague called “Dragonscale” that results in scaly skin followed by spontaneous combustion, besets the world. A small colony of diseased outcasts band together and try to survive, with “Lord of the Rings” type results. Entrancing throughout, but I couldn’t help making comparisons to Poppa King’s The Stand. However, Joe Hill is a talented storyteller and I would recommend this to Hill and King fans, especially the audio version expertly read by Kate Mulgrew.

Splinter the Silence (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #9) by Val McDermid Splinter the Silence Val McDermid. Narrator: Gerard Doyle. 5/5

Carol and Tony slowly make their way back from estrangement when Carol is offered a plum job as head of a new investigative team and she brings Tony on board to help. A madman is staging the suicide deaths of women who are vocal about women’s rights. As usual, a gripping police procedural propelled by the powerful characters of Carol, Tony, and the team members who are growing on us.

The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6) by Brian Freeman The Cold Nowhere. Brian Freeman. Narrator: Joe Barrett. 5/5

A welcome return to the world of Duluth cop Jonathan Stride, his partner Maggie Bei, and his estranged lover, cop Serena Dial. Stride is sought out by a 16-year old prostitute who thinks someone is trying to kill her. That is just the beginning of the story. This is a rewardingly suspenseful plot with the twists one wants in a top-notch thriller. Freeman also does a good job of propelling the complicated relationships -- which have gotten very messy over the last few books -- forward as well. Barrett’s narration is a little weak on female voices but I quickly got used to his scritchy voice and his Minnesota accents.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Not a high volume month, but I'm sure you'll forgive me. Ten days of June were taken with a trip to Paris and London. Exquisite.

So that's why Brexit passed.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Not a high volume month, but I'm sure you'll forgive me. Ten days of June were taken with a trip to Paris and London. Exquisite.

So that's why Brexit passed."

You didn't know I had such reach, did you? Be very afraid.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Carol, so envious!! Great reads and a great trip - what a fun month! Enjoyed reading The Fireman with everyone, and agree whole heartedly with your description of Hamiltons book

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Ack, Freeman's book....can't edit on the iPad.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Dawn wrote: "Ack, Freeman's book....can't edit on the iPad."

I had to go back to look but I figured that's who you meant. Don't you hate when that happens?

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Carol: Welcome back from your fabulous European trip! Your books read list is very good considering that Paris and London would be quite a distraction.
It sounds like one should read the Stride books in order. :)
I appreciate narrators who "do voices" for the characters, and some will come up with a scritchy female voice that can be annoying.
I sometimes select an audio as much for the narrator as the author/story.

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Not a high volume month, but I'm sure you'll forgive me. Ten days of June were taken with a trip to Paris and London. Exquisite.

So that's why Brexit passed."

Now I have to clean the lemonade off my computer screen!!

Sounds like a fantastic trip, Carol!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Glad you had such a wonderful trip.