Reader's Paradise discussion

Book Of The Month! > The Kite Runner - July 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 commentsIt may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime."

Amir is the son of a wealthy Kabul merchant, a member of the ruling caste of Pashtuns. Hassan, his servant and constant companion, is a Hazara, a despised and impoverished caste. Their uncommon bond is torn by Amir's choice to abandon his friend amidst the increasing ethnic, religious, and political tensions of the dying years of the Afghan monarchy, wrenching them far apart. But so strong is the bond between the two boys that Amir journeys back to a distant world, to try to right past wrongs against the only true friend he ever had.

message 2: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Who all are planning to read it?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I have already read it, I'll participate in discussion only :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I will start it on 7th July or so

message 5: by Pranjali (new)

Pranjali | 767 comments I'll start from tomorrow

message 6: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 1178 comments Mod
I have already read it . Its a great book . Please do read it if you haven't read it !!

message 7: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments I will start in a day or two.

message 8: by Rakhi (new)

Rakhi Jayashankar (rakhijayashankar) | 4 comments I have already read the book

message 9: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments I'll be reading Palash!! You got the book?

message 10: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Sundara wrote: "I'll be reading Palash!! You got the book?"
I have ebook and as well as physical copy. do you want ebook?

message 11: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments I do have one but the spacing and alignment is terrible since it's a converted file. So could you mail me?

message 12: by Palash (last edited Jul 04, 2016 03:44AM) (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Sundara wrote: "I do have one but the spacing and alignment is terrible since it's a converted file. So could you mail me?"
Sure. Plz PM me your email id. Which format you want?

message 13: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Finished first chapter. Narrator was reflecting on his past actions.

message 14: by Pranjali (new)

Pranjali | 767 comments have started it, finished with 2 chapters...

message 15: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Read it a decade back and loved it! Would have joined for a re-read had I not been busy. Will surely join in to discuss.

message 16: by Palash (last edited Jul 08, 2016 03:31AM) (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Finished chapter 6. They were having a kite running tournament.

Khaleed's writing is very heart touching. I cant help but feel sadness for Hazaras because of prejudices faced by them.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

same for me Palash.

I finished 3 chapters. I liked his father. I loved his thoughts on sin.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I am on 7th chapters. I wasnt expecting this. It was too cruel.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh..I know what you are talking about. It was so bad. (view spoiler)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished 8th chapter.
(view spoiler)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

(view spoiler)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Aarti- (view spoiler)

message 23: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments I'm about 3 chapters done.
This is my first book although I read A thousand splendid suns way earlier. When I was in school,I was unable to grasp the beauty of his writing and the issued dealt in KH's book. Now...oh my!! Already loving it...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I have heard that ATSS is more complex than AKR. I have a paperback of ATSS, too. Yet to read it.

@Sundara- I'm glad that you are liking it :)

message 25: by Pooja (new)

Pooja Math | 22 comments Hello everyone! I have just finished reading this book. Although I did not like it much in the beginning, last 50 pages of the book makes it worth reading. Should I post the link of my review here ?

message 26: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments @Arpit
Yes man. I will read ATSS this year I guess.
Yup..it's a great book!!
When did you read it?

message 27: by Pranjali (new)

Pranjali | 767 comments finished chapter 7

I can't believe that happened!!!
Aseef was also a kid, how could he do something like that!!

what do you all think of Aamir?

society everywhere is same, an oppressed and a suppressed group
there have always been some kind of divisions in class, status, cast, race, color etc.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. He was spoiled kid.
I didnt mind his reaction when he saw that. It was natural. but what he did to cover it later and how he was trying to run away from it was definitely wrong. I too wonder is he really his baba's son. That guy is really brave and fearless.

message 29: by Pranjali (new)

Pranjali | 767 comments Hmmm......I haven't read past chapter 7, so cant say much about his behavior afterwards

message 30: by Pooja (new)

Pooja Math | 22 comments @Aarti I agree. Amir was just a boy then and he knew it was wrong but didn't have the courage to stand up against wrong. But his baba was in a way ashamed of his son and Amir knew about it. It's not good for kids. Amir longed for his baba's love. And he could do anything to get his father's attention.

message 31: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Finished Chapter 8. Assef reminds me of Ramsay from GoT. Why aren't his parents doing something about him?
I can understand Amir's actions but when he called Hassan coward when they were at the hill, at that moment I really hated him. And his father, I like everything about him except his indifference towards Amir. He should understand the fact that “Children aren’t coloring books. You cant fill them with your favorite colors.”

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Assef's parents dont know anything about him, I guess. As it happens most of the time evil mind under coats. Have you seen Assef's behaviour at Amir's party? The way he talked with Amir's father. Baba wants a child like Assef. Bacause of Assef's others qualities he gets away with everything.
I think Amir would have told his father everything if he loved him or at least pretense of love and care.

About the thing on the hill, Amir just wants someone to punish him or hate him for his act. He doesnt want Hassan's love or loyalty cz he thinks he doesnt deserve it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

@Pooja- You can post your review here- https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by Pooja (new)

Pooja Math | 22 comments @Arpit Done. Thank you !

message 35: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Aarti wrote: "Assef's parents dont know anything about him, I guess. As it happens most of the time evil mind under coats. Have you seen Assef's behaviour at Amir's party? The way he talked with Amir's father. B..."

I think Assef parents are aware of his nature that's why they were looking frightened of their own son at Amir's party.
And Amir is making the incident more about himself than about Hassan. Hassan is the one who suffered most from that incident. But then again, he is only 13 year old. We cant expect much from him.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe u r right Palash. I didnt think about his parent's behaviour at party.

message 37: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Finished chapter 10. I am wondering, what is happening to Hassan and his father and where have they been all these years?
Where have you guys reached?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I am at 12 chapter with Hassan :)

message 39: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Aarti wrote: "with Hassan :)"

I am glad to hear that.

message 40: by Pranjali (new)

Pranjali | 767 comments Aarti wrote: "Assef's parents dont know anything about him, I guess. As it happens most of the time evil mind under coats. Have you seen Assef's behaviour at Amir's party? The way he talked with Amir's father. B..."

agreed

Amir's father may be a great person, but he is the worst parent!!
if he had loved Amir or understood him, things would have turned out differently :/

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

exactly Pranjali

message 42: by Pranjali (new)

Pranjali | 767 comments I am on chapter 10
THIS IS ALL VERY SAD!!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished chapter 17. OMG!!! I am shocked. I wasnt expecting this.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I like Wahid and his family so much. Such people are hard to find these days.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Aarti- what's that shocked you? Spoiler please :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

(view spoiler)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

(view spoiler)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read ಆವರಣ Aavarana ? Hazara's condition in India during Shavaji Maharaj's is well written here.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished. I loved this book.

message 50: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments I am still on chapter 11.

« previous 1