Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > July/August (2016) book! Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
Hi everybody,

The winner of the poll for July & August’s book is Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl, by Carrie Brownstein!

Thank you for voting and I’m really looking forward to reading this one with you all.

Love,
Emma

message 2: by Mahima (last edited Jul 02, 2016 08:03PM) (new)

Mahima The official announcement has come! Can't wait to order it, now that I am allowed to buy a book a month! Thanks Emma! =-)

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments Yeah! Hassle-free .. Thanks Goodness! Can't wait to buy the bi-monthly book. :)

message 4: by Genny (new)

Genny Pisano | 21 comments Happy and proud to be one of the ones who voted for it! Can't wait to read it!

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Thompson | 62 comments FYSA, the book is currently in hardback and the paperback doesn't come out until October.

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige Barker | 7 comments Just ordered from eBay, cheapest place could find it and its new!, second is Book Depository then Amazon. Excited to read this!

❦ Anna Francesca (annafrancesca3) | 57 comments Ah brilliant I too can't wait to read this!

message 8: by Ashwin (new)

Ashwin (ashiot) | 215 comments I would like to think of this poll as the first democratic election of OSS. Power to the readers!

@Kodak correct me if I'm wrong but in a radio interview Emma mentioned she'd line up to get an autograph of Patti Smith during promotion of Perks of being a wallflower.

message 9: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen | 149 comments Not available at danish libraries :( I'll have to see if we can afford a book buy this month.

message 10: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments JUST read that one and I get to see Sleater-Kinney in September... can't wait!

message 11: by Ashwin (new)

Ashwin (ashiot) | 215 comments @Kodak https://youtu.be/XJGbINKAG30?t=2m21s Yep Emma is a Patti Smith fan! BBC Radio 1 with Grimmy.

message 12: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Kodak, Ashwin, don't know if it mentioned it in the Patti Smith interview, but yes the Boss Lady is a huge Patti Smith fan and worked w Patti on Noah. Patti wrote the lullaby that Ila (Emma) sings to her babies. I think it's awesome that she's a fan because I am too. : )

I'm looking forward to reading Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl. Going to swing by BN tomorrow. I love this club so much.

message 13: by Dagny Moland (new)

Dagny Moland Seim | 48 comments Reserved it at the library yesterday, picking it up tomorrow :) Love libraries <3

message 14: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Good evening everybody!! :) Yay, so we finally know. :D

¡Para los miembros hispanohablantes! Me temo que todos los precios en Iberlibro comienzan a partir de los 13 €. Por una vez, Amazon es la mejor opción, por 9-10 € por la versión en tapa blanda o la versión Kindle. :)

Back to English, yay, Kodak, I read Just Kids already but had noone to talk to about it, so I'll join you in that one.

Oh, and I'm gonna see her live next Friday 8 in Madrid. :)

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments I just went to Philippine Library yesterday (actually I went to 5 Bookstore's here in my town) but they said that it is not available, I thought it was hassle-free, yay! O_O

message 16: by Jayce (new)

Jayce (caseyobrien) | 51 comments This is very exciting! And now we have two months for each story! :-) Happy reading, everyone!

message 17: by Lily (new)

Lily (journalingirl) | 12 comments If you can you should listen to it on audiobook you should, because there's music included with the book.

message 18: by Mahima (new)

Mahima Kodak wrote: "Brillo!

Keeping in on the musical theme, I'll be reading Patti Smith's Just Kids if anyone else wants to join me on that one! ;)

K x"

Hey Kodak!
I will be joining you to read the book. The only problem is that I already have three books to finish reading and time constraints due to my approaching exams. So, can we start a week later, if that is okay with you? Thanks! :-)
Mahima x

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Idea, can't wait to read the book like always!

message 20: by Stella (new)

Stella dharmapunx (dharmapunx) | 3 comments Whoa! Going to re-read it!

message 21: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments Cool, looking forward to re-reading the book again. I read some of the books that were on the poll and some were really good. It was a tought choice to vote for a book.

message 22: by Harm (new)

Harm ten Napel (hnapel) | 94 comments Ordered my copy on bol.com (this is not an endorsement or anything but to any Dutch participant it's sort of the place to go to order books online), also in Holland we have fixed book prices, so retailers have to distinguish themselves with service. [To get my free shipping] I also ordered The Girls which has a well received Dutch translation over here but since it was lauded for its beautiful sentences I thought it may have some value reading it in the original language. I'm looking forward to read the revelations by Carrie Brownstein, it's a world for which I probably won't have much affinity, but I will accept Emma's direction to kick me out of my comfort zone.

message 23: by kenna (new)

kenna Ah, I'm picking the book up from the library as soon as possible and I'm so excited to read it! This is the first book I will be reading for this group.

message 24: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I'm ordering the book tomorrow and I think the Boss Lady ( I do love that name for her:) will read it with as much anticipation as me.

I do think tho, that this book will be a tough read, since the topic is a bit tough.

The bookshop assistant will smile again tomorrow:)

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I'm really excited to read this. My first read as part of the book club. I'm curious and pleased to have people to talk to about it. Never been in a book club before.

message 26: by Mahima (new)

Mahima MeerderWörter wrote: "I'm ordering the book tomorrow and I think the Boss Lady ( I do love that name for her:) will read it with as much anticipation as me.

I do think tho, that this book will be a tough read, since th..."

Haha, even I love the name Boss Lady! :-D

Kodak wrote: "Mahima- of course!!

Ana - yus!!"

I will try to finish my books as soon as I can!

message 27: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments Emma wrote: "Hi everybody,

The winner of the poll for July & August’s book is Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl, by Carrie Brownstein!

Thank you for voting and I’m really looking forward to reading this one with..."

Ordering this right now! I can't wait to start reading it! I also can't wait to see what things you'll put in for the keen beans. (:

Love,

Romina Xx

message 28: by Corey (new)

Corey | 29 comments this is definitely not something I would have read on my own, even with great roles, so I really appreciate the push to try something new!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Seriously just finished this book yesterday.

message 30: by Helena (new)

Helena | 4 comments Great choice, I already had saved it on my to read list in case it wasn't chosen now.

@ Kodak, I'm reading Just Kids at the moment, I'm almost half way. Maybe you could start a thread to speak about or something?

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily_burkhalter) | 41 comments Yay!!! I voted for this and ended up getting it from the library the day before the official book for July/August was announced just because I wanted to read it so badly!! I figured if it wasn't chosen, I was going to read it anyway.

message 32: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments Checking the library for it right now. :)

message 33: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments The library in Salzburg doesn't have it, so I'll check in at the book store.

The university's library doesn't have it either. Just in case somebody was wondering.

message 34: by Fiza (last edited Jul 03, 2016 09:14PM) (new)

Fiza (fizaaarshad) | 99 comments When I first read the description when deciding to vote, I had actually scratched it out of my to-read list altogether. Only because I know I won't get all of the references. But I might give it a go for Emma. I do want this polling thing to be a success after all...

message 35: by kenna (last edited Jul 03, 2016 10:29PM) (new)

kenna Ugh I'm dying, I want to read it right now! I'll hopefully be getting it tomorrow...

message 36: by Helena (new)

Helena | 4 comments Kodak wrote: "Hi Helena!

Sounds good! I'm waiting on both books to arrive, as they're being imported, so will be a couple of weeks before I get to touch either.

But we can do in the Misc. folder (could go in a..."

Ok cool. Its reads very well. I'm lucky that is ( very well) translated in Portuguese, but I'm sure it will read well in English also.

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma T. Clement (emmatclement) | 2032 comments Can't wait to read this! I am very excited that we all got to vote on this book, as well :)

message 38: by Harm (new)

Harm ten Napel (hnapel) | 94 comments Emma wrote: "Can't wait to read this! I am very excited that we all got to vote on this book, as well :)" Still it is awkward since supposedly we the people voted for a book that none of us has read so it's based on an expectation of being worthwhile (not implying it isn't), rather for the next round you would expect recently appointed Boss Lady (which would be E.W.) to shine her brightness of perception and judgment and choose one for us.

message 39: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echevarría | 29 comments Kodak wrote: "Brillo!

Keeping in on the musical theme, I'll be reading Patti Smith's Just Kids if anyone else wants to join me on that one! ;)

K x"

I read just Kids in college a couple of years back. I really liked it! might do a reread...

message 40: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments I also begin to read the book Just Kids by Patty Smith. I got it on ebook from the library.

message 41: by Aisling (new)

Aisling  (ashseer) | 7 comments Evelia wrote: "I also begin to read the book Just Kids by Patty Smith. I got it on ebook from the library."

I'm rereading this. My favourite book, along with MTrain. She is easily in my top 5 writers. Her writing is beautiful.

message 42: by Renee (new)

Renee | 1 comments I'm hoping to get into reading again this summer, and I thought that this book club would be a good place to start! I'll have to take a look to see if this is on Overdrive or if not, maybe I can get it on my Kindle. Thanks, Emma!

message 43: by Paula (new)

Paula | 45 comments Yes, thanks Emma! I can't wait to read it!!

message 44: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments I also read some books from the poll for the July/August book. This are the one's that I recommend:
Como Agua Para Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King.
Annie John: A Novel by Jamaica Kinkaid.
We Need New Names: A novel bu NoViolet Bulawayo.

message 45: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments Can't wait to read it!! :)

message 46: by Paige (new)

Paige Barker | 7 comments Is there other books as its been changed to bi-monthly?, it was said for fast readers and such there would be other recommendations, is "just kids" the book or has the extra read not been released yet?

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (vanase) | 10 comments My husband's going to roll his eyes at me when another book shows up from the library... and I just said I wasn't going to order any more before our move. = D

message 48: by Bryony (new)

Bryony Napper | 8 comments great I cant wait to read this book I so Excited

message 49: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Hyatt (achyatt) | 18 comments I was able to find this book in the audiobook version at my local library. I downloaded it on my library's app and have been listening to it in my car. It is amazing so far, and it is narrated by Carrie herself!

message 50: by Diane (new)

Diane | 33 comments I was able to get an audio copy from my library. :)

« previous 1 3