YA LGBT Books discussion

Gives Light (Gives Light, #1)
This topic is about Gives Light
Buddy Reads > Gives Light by Rose Christo

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Jul 09, 2016 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Link: Gives Light Gives Light (Gives Light, #1) by Rose Christo by Rose Christo

About the book
"Skylar is my name, tragically."

Sixteen-year-old Skylar is witty, empathetic, sensitive--and mute. Skylar hasn't uttered a single word since his mother died eleven years ago, a senseless tragedy he's grateful he doesn't have to talk about.

When Skylar's father mysteriously vanishes one summer afternoon, Skylar is placed in the temporary custody of his only remaining relative, an estranged grandmother living on an Indian reservation in the middle of arid Arizona.

Adapting to a brand new culture is the least of Skylar's qualms. Because Skylar's mother did not die a peaceful death. Skylar's mother was murdered eleven years ago on the Nettlebush Reserve. And her murderer left behind a son.

And he is like nothing Skylar has ever known.

Cautions - See Linda's list in message 4 (under the spoiler tag) - violence

Proposed Start Date: July 4 2016
Proposed End Date: July 11 2016

Participating readers:
Kaje
Jason
Rick

Discussion (Rez, Linda)

message 2: by Jason (last edited Jul 02, 2016 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Yay! I have this up next! Count me in!

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Added you :)

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments Oh, I love this series!! I probably won't have time for a reread, but I look forward to the discussion.

Trigger warnings, off the top of my head: (view spoiler)

Rick (ndalum) I would like to join please. When would the start date be?

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Oh cool Rick, I know you said you were reading it soon. Glad there's a buddy read. Curious about the start date as well. The sooner the better I say.

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "Oh, I love this series!! I probably won't have time for a reread, but I look forward to the discussion.

Trigger warnings, off the top of my head: [spoilers removed]"

Thanks so much Linda <3

message 8: by Kaje (last edited Jul 02, 2016 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Rick wrote: "I would like to join please. When would the start date be?"

We'll figure that out between people who want to join in. Not for a week or so for me - I just realized two books I'm judging for the Rainbow awards were supposed to be done by June 30 (Ooops, last year there was no early deadline) - so I have to jump on those first.

But I'm a fast reader - if we set a 10-day window I can always read it at the end of that time.

Rick (ndalum) Yes. I'm on vacation now so I can probably read it in a week after I finish whatever book I'm reading.

message 10: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments The newsletter just went out. I'd like to wait a few days to see who else might be interested - then if everyone is ready to go we can pick a 10-day span early in the month here.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Sounds good to me.

message 12: by Rez (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments I'm in for the discussion; I won't have time for a re-read tho =( since I'm already behind on my Summer Reading Challenge list.

message 13: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) We can start now then discuss? or we read chapter by chapter at the same time?

message 14: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Rick wrote: "We can start now then discuss? or we read chapter by chapter at the same time?"

We start when the group wants to, read at our own pace, with freedom to comment but putting spoilers into spoiler tags for those further behind, then after the end date we discuss the whole book without worrying about spoilers. It's too hard to coordinate anything more formal with everyone on different schedules. You could definitely start, but I won't set an end date till I see if anyone else decides to join over the next day or two.

message 15: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) Makes sense. Thanks.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments I'm a bit of a slow reader, so I'll likely start early so I don't risk missing out on the discussion.

The reviews for this one are very positive, lots of my friends have shelved as favorites. I'm so hyped for this title, you don't even know.

message 17: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) I look forward to reading with you. I'm on vacation in Oregon this summer visions family. I just arrived yesterday from China. We have a bit of jet lag.

message 18: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Rick wrote: "I look forward to reading with you. I'm on vacation in Oregon this summer visions family. I just arrived yesterday from China. We have a bit of jet lag."

Wow, that's quite a trip.

I'll add names to the participants, and maybe we can just put tomorrow as the start date, with no end date until we give people another day or two. Ten days to 2 weeks seems like a good span - enough for most readers to finish, not so long you forget what you read.

message 19: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) I'm 30% in. Great so far but not amazing like many have said. But, I read a lot of the good stuff doesn't happen at the beginning. I do have a few questions to discuss. How far into do we need to be before asking?

message 20: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Rick wrote: "I'm 30% in. Great so far but not amazing like many have said. But, I read a lot of the good stuff doesn't happen at the beginning. I do have a few questions to discuss. How far into do we need to b..."

Go ahead and ask - if you think it might be a spoiler use spoiler tags - <*spoiler> before the questions/comment and <*/spoiler> after (with asterisks removed from the HTML) to hide it. I haven't started yet (life is crazy) but there are people who've already read it watching the thread I think.

message 21: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) Not really a spoiler. I just wonder how a 1/2 Native American can have blond hair. Is blond a recessive gene?

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments Rick wrote: "Not really a spoiler. I just wonder how a 1/2 Native American can have blond hair. Is blond a recessive gene?"

This is actually something you find out later.

message 23: by Jason (last edited Jul 06, 2016 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments I'm at 20% myself. Too early to opine on the overall story. But I will say this. I absolutely love the writing.

*Not really a spoiler, but just in case people want to read these passages for the first time on their own:
(view spoiler)

*edited 7/6/2016 - added another passage

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel (melleach) I love what I have read so far in this series. I need to pick up the next book and continue with it.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Mel wrote: "I love what I have read so far in this series. I need to pick up the next book and continue with it."

How far have you read in this series Mel? I didn't realize how many books were in this series until last night. I was like...

message 26: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel (melleach) Jason wrote: "Mel wrote: "I love what I have read so far in this series. I need to pick up the next book and continue with it."

How far have you read in this series Mel? I didn't realize how many books were in ..."

I read books 1 and 2 and started 3, but got interrupted and never got back to it, so I'll have to start over from the beginning of 3. I understand that books 5 and 6 are told from Rafael's POV and some have suggested actually reading 5 and 6 after 1 and 2 as they encompass the same time frame, just from another perspective. I love Rose Christo's writing style.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Being that this is told in a first person narrative, one thing I'm not crazy about is that some of the language seems too mature for a teenage boy. Not a big qualm, but still just seems off to me, I have to keep reminding myself that he's sixteen and not thirty.

Restlessness, consequently, became a powerful thing....Sometimes I entertained the idea of visiting my old house again...

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments Jason wrote: "Being that this is told in a first person narrative, one thing I'm not crazy about is that some of the language seems too mature for a teenage boy. Not a big qualm, but still just seems off to me, ..."

That didn't bother me when I was reading. I felt like it actually fit Skylar's personality pretty well. He's not exactly a dude bro.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "Jason wrote: "Being that this is told in a first person narrative, one thing I'm not crazy about is that some of the language seems too mature for a teenage boy. Not a big qualm, but still just see..."

Yeah, the more I read the more I agree with you. It seemed a bit weird at first, but I'm starting to think he's just an "old soul" maybe.

Rafael certainly is a fascinating and complex character. Skylar is slowly cracking that rough exterior, I'm eager to see what lies beneath.

The writing is certainly beautiful. I'm at 33%, kind of a sluggish part of the story, but that's probably just because I'm so impatient for that first kiss. Hope it's soon.

message 30: by Rez (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments Jason wrote: "Being that this is told in a first person narrative, one thing I'm not crazy about is that some of the language seems too mature for a teenage boy. Not a big qualm, but still just seems off to me, ..."

I'm gonna have to be really careful in my own writing, then, because the writing sounded a whole lot like my internal monologue when I was a teen... my excuse is that I was in the 'gifted' classes and everyone told that I had, "such an old soul," so I'm probably not the best judge of what a teen should sound like.

When I was reading the later books in the series, I did have a moment of dissonance, thinking about how Raf sounded so immature and yet was so well read. It didn't make sense inside my head.

But the good news is that there may be a seventh book in the series

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Rez wrote: "Jason wrote: "Being that this is told in a first person narrative, one thing I'm not crazy about is that some of the language seems too mature for a teenage boy. Not a big qualm, but still just see..."

Yeah, and Raf reads classics, no less. The Tempest, Iliad, and To Kill a Mockingbird. He get's bonus points from me for his taste in books. And Skylar does too for his love of animals.
"...nothing bothers me more than animals getting hurt."
We're kindred spirits in that regard.

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments I just remembered another trigger warning for later books in the series:

(view spoiler)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "I just remembered another trigger warning for later books in the series:

[spoilers removed]"

Hmm, now you got me worried, not in this book right? I don't do well with that sort of thing.

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments Jason wrote: "Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "I just remembered another trigger warning for later books in the series:

[spoilers removed]"

Hmm, now you got me worried, not in t..."

Not in this book, no. Either the next or the third, I think. It takes up about half a page to a page all told. It was one of the things I touched on in my reviews while I was making my way through the series last year because it annoyed me so much. Let me look...

Ok, it's #3, St. Clair, and it's also brought up again very very briefly in #4. It's so here and gone, you can easily skip it. Here's my review for #3 if you want a bit more info:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "Jason wrote: "Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "I just remembered another trigger warning for later books in the series:

[spoilers removed]"

Hmm, now you got me wor..."

Okay, thanks Linda for the heads up. And for checking where it is in the series.

message 36: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) Skyler doesn't sound like a teenager because he doesn't speak orally so didn't build a typical vocabulary.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Rick wrote: "Skyler doesn't sound like a teenager because he doesn't speak orally so didn't build a typical vocabulary."

Huh, that makes complete sense. I dont know why it didn't occur to me before. Still though, wouldn't your inner vocabulary be based off what you hear from your peers?

message 38: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) But he didn't have many friends. His best friend was his father until he went to the reserve.

I just finished the book. I'll give it 4.5 stars. It was great, but nit "amazing." ( I take the Goodreads ratings literally.). I think the story was great and I'll read the sequel someday, but night immediately.

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments Jason wrote: "Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "Jason wrote: "Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "I just remembered another trigger warning for later b..."

You're welcome.

message 40: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) Is there more physical "action" in the sequel?

message 41: by Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (last edited Jul 06, 2016 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments Rick wrote: "Is there more physical "action" in the sequel?"

Not on page.

Edit: That is to say, they do get more physical, but any "action" takes place off page.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Rick wrote: "But he didn't have many friends. His best friend was his father until he went to the reserve.

I just finished the book. I'll give it 4.5 stars. It was great, but nit "amazing." ( I take the Goodr..."

Whoa you breezed right through it! I'm only at 40%, but I have two books going right now and I'm a ridiculously slow reader.

message 43: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ndalum) Yes, but I'm on vacation in the Oregon forest.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments As I'm nearing the end of this title, I just have to say, I'm so in love with this book. Going to finish the last little bit when I get off from work. Im pretty much set on my rating though. Was it an "amazing" 5 stars? Maybe not. But I certainly thought it was a "beautiful" 5 stars. The quiet beauty of Christo's writing style greatly appeals to me. Even though the story lacked the traditional arc I'm used to.

message 45: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel (melleach) Jason wrote: "As I'm nearing the end of this title, I just have to say, I'm so in love with this book. Going to finish the last little bit when I get off from work. Im pretty much set on my rating though. Was it..."

Very well said.

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 339 comments The lack of the traditional arc is one of the things I liked most about this series. I wouldn't even classify these as romance - though there is a love story and it's HEA - because that's not really the focus of this series or these books.

message 47: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments I'm really enjoying this. The erudite vocabulary doesn't bother me here the way it did in Puckawiss, I think partly because the guys are older (a big jump from 14 to 16) and because Skyler is an introspective guy, and it's in descriptive POV more than in teen conversation. It's a very smooth read.

message 49: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments I'm going to propose an official end and full discussion date of the 11th - looks like Jason and Rick are already done. I'm reading in between editing as my reward time, but won't finish tonight unless I play hooky on my own story.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Kaje wrote: "I'm going to propose an official end and full discussion date of the 11th - looks like Jason and Rick are already done. I'm reading in between editing as my reward time, but won't finish tonight un..."

That sounds reasonable to me, Kaje. I know we kind of pushed to start this one early because of our eagerness.

I look forward to your thoughts, but don't play hooky! We can wait. :)

« previous 1