Play Book Tag discussion

Rebel Queen
This topic is about Rebel Queen
Archive: Other Books > The Rebel Queen/Michelle Moran - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments 3.5 stars

I don't know much about the history in Asian countries and had never heard of the story of the Rani of Jhansi. One reason why historical fiction is a favorite genre --- some truths are better than fiction :-D. Basically, this is the story of a strong young woman who tried to defend her kingdom from annexation by the British. The story is told through the eyes of Sita, a member of her female guard. The set-up is that Sita has been asked to tell her story by a publisher so she is going back through her journals.

This is the first Michelle Moran book. I loved the story and it moved along quickly. The books seems to be well researched in terms of the highlights of Rani's life. I'm not sure about some of the other plot points, but it is historical fiction. At first I didn't really care for the writing style. When an author is writing about a different culture than the majority of her readers, I'm sure that it's hard to find a balance of describing the customs and moving the story; I think this was difficult in the beginning and I felt like the author was doing a "dump" of some of the cultural research. However, I either got used to it or it stopped because the story was fairly compelling.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments JoLene wrote: "3.5 stars

I don't know much about the history in Asian countries and had never heard of the story of the Rani of Jhansi. One reason why historical fiction is a favorite genre --- some truths are b..."

I liked this book, but I don't think it's Moran's best work. I've read a number of her books and my favorite is Madam Tussaud, it is the only one I rated 5 stars.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I have several of here other books but just haven't read them yet. I think the ones I have are the Egypt ones.

message 4: by Olivermagnus (last edited Jul 02, 2016 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2307 comments This is on my TBR for July. I think my favorite of hers was Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution. I have heard this isn't her best but I'm hoping to enjoy it anyway. I'm really looking forward to her new one, Mata Hari's Last Dance, coming out later this month.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "This is on my TBR for July. I think my favorite of hers was Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution. I have heard this isn't her best but I'm hoping to enjoy it anyway. I'm ..."

I enjoyed Rebel Queen, but like you Tussaud is my favorite. I didn't know about the Mata Hari book, thanks for the heads up. just added it to my wish-list

message 6: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 9165 comments I gave read all her works and an excited for the latest. My favorite hands down? Second Empress!

LibraryCin | 8923 comments I haven't read this one yet, but of the ones I've read Cleopatra's Daughter has been my favourite so far. I find them all really good, though.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I really like that in her body of work, she seems to pick some really interesting women, where their stories aren't particularly well known.