Play Book Tag discussion

Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
This topic is about Mrs. Mike
Archive: Other Books > Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman - 4.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2307 comments This story is about sixteen year old Katherine Mary O’Fallon, a 16 year old Irish girl from Boston in 1907, and the man she falls in love with, Sargent Mike Flannigan, a hero who is handsome, chivalrous, strong and fearless. Kathy is suffering from pleurisy and is sent alone to Canada to recover at her uncle's home in Calgary. Mike is a Canadian Mounted Policeman, who falls in love with her and takes her to the Northwest Territories of the Canadian wilderness. We follow along with Kathy and Mike and witness their life in the harsh and beautiful land, which includes isolation, snow, fire, death, bears, and even deadly mosquitoes. Kathy and Mike learn respect for the Indians, their beliefs and their way of life. It's also a timeless love story.

I first read this book when I was twelve and, of course, fell madly in love with Mike. I definitely wanted to grow up and marry a Canadian Mountie and live in a cabin in the wilderness. (Ironically, I married someone named Mike, and lived in Alaska for three years but it just wasn't the same). Reading the book fifty years later is a bit disheartening for me. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Mike in a much more jaundiced way. Of course, since the book was published in 1947, the attitude and language with reference to Indians and women might offend some. Over the years there has been some indications that the “true” story was highly fictionalized by the Freedman's.

Nevertheless, it remains one of the most memorable books I've ever read. I needed to pull out some tissues a couple of times. I still think of Mrs. Mike as one of the first books that contributed to my lifelong love of reading and of historical fiction. I have a shelf called “nostalgia” and it's the perfect place to put this gem. The book was “based” on a true story and doesn't claim to be non-fiction. It's love story that emphasizes what friendship, community, family and love are all about.

punxsygal | 290 comments I share a lot of the same feelings about this book. It may have contributed to my lifelong love of the far north.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2284 comments My mother recommended this to me as a teenager and I never did read it. When I saw that it was published in 1947 I figured it could fit for one of the Shelfagories! I also saw though that the most popular book in 1947 was The Miracle of the Bells so now I'm torn!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6279 comments Definitely adding this to my tbr - Thanks, Lynda!

message 5: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I first read this book when I was twelve and, of course, fell madly in love with Mike. I definitely wanted to grow up and marry a Canadian Mountie and live in a cabin in the wilderness. (Ironically, I married someone named Mike, and lived in Alaska for three years but it just wasn't the same).."

So funny! It sounds interesting but I think I will listen to the current you and not put it on the TBR. I have many books still on my shelves years later that I would be afraid to reread. I can't bring myself to donate them to the library as I don't know who would buy them and I can't bear the idea of them ending up in the dumpster.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2284 comments Denizen wrote: " I have many books still on my shelves years later that I would be afraid to reread. I can't bring myself to donate them to the library as I don't know who would buy them and I can't bear the idea of them ending up in the dumpster. .."

I agree, re-reads can be dangerous to your memory of a well-loved book. We change and society changes. It's like looking at some of those old TV shows and movies!

On your issue of donating to the library - some libraries have bookstores - a donation there will likely get the books into the hands of other readers. Just a thought!

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments So surprised I have never heard of this one . . .