Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
This topic is about Nemesis Games
Series: The Expanse > Book 5: Nemesis Games

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megan Baxter | 277 comments Mod
With this, I think we catch up to the series as far as it has been published! I am a couple of books behind, but will hustle to catch up, as I've enjoyed the first two a lot.

Five books in, what do people think? Is the series living up to its promise? What twists and turns surprised you?

message 2: by Mickey (last edited Jul 05, 2016 05:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mickey | 604 comments Ok I am in, soon to download Nemesis.

I am going to miss detective Miller. Or is he resurrected in Nemesis?

message 3: by LindaJ^ (last edited Jul 09, 2016 06:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments Mickey wrote: "Ok I am in, soon to download Nemesis.

I am going to miss detective Miller. Or is he resurrected in Nemesis?"

Nope - Miller is not in Nemesis but Bobbi is back! I liked this one much better than Book 4. Amos, Naomi, and Alex are featured and we learn a lot their backstories. Holden takes a backseat, finally!

The series isn't bad. Book 4 was the least likeable one for me. I had no expectations about the series because I did not know what it was about. I would not have read it but for it being chosen here. I liked when Miller showed back up and I bet he'll be back!

message 4: by Mickey (last edited Jul 14, 2016 02:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mickey | 604 comments This book speaks to me. I am 32% into this book and I ran into a WHAT!!!

Alex a friend Fermín in a restaurant drinking Chai and eating Almond Cookies...

Almost every day I have a cup or two of Oolong Chai tea and I made two dozen Almond Cookies three days ago.

And here I am thinking I was a culinary unique person :(

message 5: by Mickey (last edited Jul 19, 2016 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mickey | 604 comments Unlike most series where novels are self contained stories within a single universe, like Azimov's Foundation series or Bujold's Miles Vorkigans series. Corey's Expanse series seems to be never ending, one cliff hanger after another.

I do like Expanse series more than I liked the Vorkigans series, but I still liked the Foundation series more than the Expanse.

However, I wish each book was a bit more self contained. I will also say, I like Jack McDievitt's series almost as much as the Expanse (another where each book is almost self contained).

Yea, I know, I know, I am rambling again:)

And once again I am hanging off a cliff. It's like I have a three body problem (Or trilogy here :)

Mickey | 604 comments Hmmm... Well... Agh...
Chibola Burn was a self contained novel set into the expanse universe.

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 74 comments Of course!!

Allan Phillips I've read up through book 6, Babylon's Ashes. I don't buy hardbacks, so will read Persepolis Rising when it comes out in paperback October 1. Tiamat's Wrath (book 8) will come out in December in hardback. Great series! Easy flowing, good action and the farther it goes, the more characterization there is.

Clyde (wishamc) | 123 comments totemynote wrote: "Hi, is anyone here still reading The Expanse series?"

Surely you jest!? Every book, usually as soon as the ebook price drops to something reasonable.

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 74 comments I get them first day in hardcover ever since I read book 1 a few months after release

Allan Phillips I just finished bingeing Season 3. I find that's the best way to watch it to maintain continuity and grasp the increasingly complex story lines. It was really good, in my opinion.

Allan Phillips It doesn't seem to get much promo, and I think the title of it doesn't tell enough about what it is. That only allows for a sci-fi audience who already knows what it is, and maybe some word of mouth.