Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Series of Japanese Light Novels: Westernized Title or Kanji?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefano (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:10AM) (new)

Stefano d'Ovidio | 21 comments Hi, I got an issue
Japane Light Novels are short novels with illustration or pictures. There're often series of them.

While on Goodreads some of these series titles are westernized (for example https://www.goodreads.com/series/5449... ) , some other aren't (i.e. https://www.goodreads.com/series/73710 ).
It's a higly sectorial kind of book, and while for me a kanji-written title isn't totally problematic, I feel it may be somewhat troublesome on GR.
So I'd like an "official" stance of the Librarian group.

message 2: by Krazykiwi (last edited Jul 02, 2016 07:22AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Whatever is on the cover, just like every other book.

message 3: by Renske (last edited Jul 03, 2016 01:50AM) (new)

Renske | 11438 comments If you mean the series page, original language is correct, but there are also many series that are translated into English and then get a series page in English.

message 4: by Stefano (new)

Stefano d'Ovidio | 21 comments Ok, so
as long as the series is japanese-only the series title should be leaved as written on the cover (so, mostly kanji), but if it get an official international edition, westernized translitteration is legit, right?

message 5: by Nan (last edited Jul 03, 2016 04:00AM) (new)

Nan (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments Der wrote: "Ok, so
as long as the series is japanese-only the series title should be leaved as written on the cover (so, mostly kanji), but if it get an official international edition, westernized translittera..."

So I add and update a lot of mangas/manhwas in GR, and what I do is that the title of the books is the same as the cover, and I also add the transliteration in roman characters per GR policy if it's available. In terms of the series name, I leave it as english even if the book itself is of a foreign language.

I.e. 東京喰種トーキョーグール 2 [Tokyo Guru 2] (Tokyo Ghoul, #2)

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14578 comments If the series is originally Japanese, that should be the series name. The English series should only be added to the English titles, and can be mentioned on the (Japanese) series page.

If the numbering is different, then by all means create an English series.